70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

matt s

Explorer
Lance I owe you an update. It's in and it fits. Required a few things that I will detail later in a thread of its own. But if you get going before that ill send a pm with a couple of things to watch for. All I have left is radiator, electrical and exhaust. Then I should be rolling.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
OHHHH cool Matt, great that you are moving ahead of me and can save time & money on things I would do wrong :)

Looking forward to your thread.

I am actually looking to split my project into 2 parts:
Part 1 will be axles,tcase, trans as that will help right away and get a bunch of stuff out of the way.
Part 2 will be engine/core support & rad/intake as that will be the part with the most custom work.

Thanks for posting Matt and can't wait for some pics and a trip report of your rig in action.

mkitchen

Explorer
Sounds like we are pretty close to each other in regards to level of completion

I am at crunch time too and I too have to give credit to my son for both help and motivation. Without Sam, my project would be covered in spiderwebs. There is little that I value as much as our time together working in Rueben. I wish that I could have a collection of parts to add to the truck. Each time I get a pay check I get more stuff, but it is slow going.

I should have one storage box done in the bed and the spare tire holder built but Mo and I and the three stooges will be sleeping on the bed of the truck still. I have had to adjust my calender so that I have it more presentable for the EXPO. One slight caveat though, I am not quite ready to start eating canned beans. I didn't get this size by not eating and you are more than welcome to put you feet under our dinner table as we always have more food than we can eat.

I should have some pics done of the improvements before the Old Iron Run.
Mikey

mkitchen

Explorer
Sounds like we will all have some new changes to check out

Right now I still have saw dust in my hair from attempting to make some storage boxes for Rueben. The truck is over at my brother in law's shop getting the spare tire rack built and I am in the garage trying to get these damn boxes done. This task certainly brings out my lack of wood butcher skills. I will post some pics when it is done.

By the way, Rueben has a 20 gallon tank and two 16 gallon tanks. Lots of gas but who can afford to fill all of them up, geez.
Mikey

NOIBN

Observer
Yeah he only had a 20 gallon tank before so when we'd go somewhere it was like a crazy tour of sketchy gas stations.

1leglance

Yeah those small town gas stations are a hoot, and the people you get to meet!

But I won't miss the prices in rural areas, that is for sure.

I wish I could record all the phone calls between Nobin-Nick & I that go something like
me "Hey Nick what about XXXXXX"
him "Well you could do that but........long explanation of why I would be better off with something else, plenty of info I will not retain, and usually something about how he knows a guy and can get us the parts"

Then I follow his advice, pay 1/2 what I was going to and get twice the quality result....yeah it is great to have solid friends :)

Now just wait till you read all of Nick's updates to his Burb as it is very impressive and has some cool features I very much plan to copy.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Lance,

You going to have that machine ready to fly for the week of March 25th? Mikey and Mighty Dodge Ram have confirmed. Scheduling conflict with Nick. What is your story? Hope you can make it!

1leglance

Well it has been 11 months since I last updated this thread so after catching some crap over that from friends it is time to bring folks up to speed.

Been doing a bunch of this....
578476_3631192900356_2064474641_n.jpg

While stopping for way too much of this....
533654_3797627501117_346684941_n.jpg

Which takes money away from these...
307301_4290796710039_291828041_n.jpg

So after the hotest summer on record here in Phoenix where me & boys did a bunch of body work...
548915_10200223384969215_1039758609_n.jpg

We picked this up from MAACO in Tempe Az....
1151040_10200300694901915_1736535948_n.jpg

And this is how we felt...
525725_10200300804744661_1365191024_n.jpg

Last edited:

1leglance

Well we put it all back together and started building a roof rack to hold my Hannibal Awning & FrontRunner table...solar and traction devices wll go up there also....
1236482_10200446461105979_1946649159_n.jpg

And it went off for some killer window time...super duper thermal blocking stuff that makes an amazing difference here in brutal Phoenix...
598811_10200464207909638_48407129_n.jpg

And here is a shot with the rack & awning installed....
1229850_10200478328662648_1074064112_n.jpg

Now I still need to add some camp shots from this weekend..
Add some pics of the sound deadening & thermal insulation work we did before paint...
And pics of the interior work that is part way completed.

Oh and it is going for custom springs this week...
Coming up soon with the kind help of Nick-Noibn we are slapping in some new axles with ARB lockers front & rear, 700r4 & 208 combo and a few othre bits along the way...

Then come spring will finally be the 6.2 turbo diesel drop in....happy day happy day :)

1leglance

Hey 98...we might be making it down your way the first weekend in Nov...
Nick-Noibn wants to get out of town on his bday and since he is the mentor on this project I think that is a great idea.
We were talking about getting down to Tombstone/Bisbee/Benson/Wilcox...doing a loop where we camp in the Chiracahuas and come back to Phx through Wilcox, Reddington, Oracle, Willow Springs Road.

It would be fun to meet up if you are free.

Todd, thanks for the 700r4 comment, I am looking forward to overdrive and a nice low 1st gear.

Chilliwak you live in another area I want to get to once I have the 6.2 turbo diesel and good mpg :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3