70 C-20 4x4 Suburban Father/Son project

mkitchen

Explorer
Looking very nice

Didn't get a chance to check it out at the First Aid course, sorry about that. You have done some very nice improvements there. How are you liking the interior changes? I would love to see what you did there. Was that FatMat that I saw in one picture?
Looking forward to seeing you take it out on an Old Iron Run.
Mikey

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Lance, the Sub is looking awesome! Glad you kept it stock color. Can't wait to see it after the springs are done!

Chilliwak you live in another area I want to get to once I have the 6.2 turbo diesel and good mpg :)

You'd need a heck of a run at it to get where Chilli lives. Amsterdam is his home now, but if you want to visit BC when he is here on his summer trip, we'd love to have you. Stock up on diesel in Washington though. $3.83/gallon yesterday, vs $5.65 +/- up here in good ole "B.C." (Bring Cash).

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
More pics to come but this will get you guys started...

Here is the burb before we started at Nicks....
1385452_10200560181428916_456569154_n.jpg

Parked next to Nicks rig to give a sense of the custom spring lift vs a 4in (really 6in) lift
1375710_10200560193749224_504135990_n.jpg

Turbo 400 and NP205 out of the way...
1375790_10200565751448163_1413421230_n.jpg

700r4 installed with a nice deep trans pan and temp sensor....
1393377_10200643645395463_638457615_n.jpg

1leglance

And the man himself here hiding from the camera as he works on the 208 going in...
1380234_10200643648155532_9798529_n.jpg

After alot of really hard work Nick got the 208 clocked just enough to give me more ground clearance and yet not bang the floor or cause other issues.
1395910_10200643825559967_870315449_n.jpg

At the same time Nick was playing master mechanic on my rig he was also playing master instructor to my son Nathan and his desire to learn welding. By the time we were done on my project Nathan had become an excellent metalsmith. I am really looking forward to making much more us of my personal fab shop.
1392094_10200648227230006_1992112263_n.jpg

I will dig up some more pics and get them posted....and this weekend all this hard work pays off when Nick's family & mine get our rigs into the dirt.

1leglance

Thanks but really Nick-Noibn (mosesburb on other forums) deserves all the credit as this project would not have happened without his knowledge and skills.

More pics to come in the next few days.

toddz69

Explorer
Thanks but really Nick-Noibn (mosesburb on other forums) deserves all the credit as this project would not have happened without his knowledge and skills.

More pics to come in the next few days.

Looking good, Lance! Man you're going to love that trans for cruising on the highway - AND the low first gear for off road work. I assume you're already past this part of the install but if you need a pressure gauge to check the pressures in various gears, let me know - I have one you're welcome to use.

Todd Z.

1leglance

Well Nick (mosesburb) and I got the rig together and it was high time for a shake down run. Funny thing is his birthday and mine are about a week apart so what better way to celebrate than drag our families out for some dirt time.

As with all great outings there was plenty of tarmac time, of which I gladly did not take a pic of. I will say that the 700r4 made a big difference in cruising comfort. I still travel about 65mph but it is so much nicer now.

Our first stop was in Tombstone....yeah it is touristy but the courthouse museum is worth a visit and you can bypass all the silly stuff in town.
At least we parked in dirt to start the trip off right :)
bisbeewithNick-1.jpg

I am a sucker for this vintage wood furniture, America had some style back then.
bisbeewithNick-2.jpg

Pre-interweb days when you might actually look something up in a book and had no spell check, or copy & paste to help with typing your work. I love the desk though.
bisbeewithNick-3.jpg

I think all courtrooms should have this sense of style and authority vs our modern cheap & sterile county courtrooms.
Just imagine the wild trials heard in this Tombstone room.
bisbeewithNick-4.jpg

Even growing up in the Panhandle of Texas you forget how many different types of barbed wire were around. It must of been a hoot to listen to a salesman expound of the virtures of his product vs anothers back in the day.
bisbeewithNick-5.jpg

1leglance

And after a lunch of Bufflo Burgers and other hearty fix'ns we got out of town and hit some dirt on the way to Gleeson. Some houses in the area still in use, and there is an effort to steer more tourist this way....that is always a good & bad thing.

The new springs & Fox shocks with Fox hydralic front bumpstops are amazing. I didn't air down for this gravel/washboard as I knew we would not spend much time on dirt but I would say I can double my safe driving speed and much less overall stress on the rig.
bisbeewithNick-6.jpg

Restored jail and picnic area...cheesy but kinda cool
bisbeewithNick-7.jpg

The old school is my favorite building in the area...lots of style there.
bisbeewithNick-8.jpg

I like the use of hoist cable as rebar...hey use what ya got.
bisbeewithNick-9.jpg

The master mechanic who made the project move right along pokes his head out for a peak.
bisbeewithNick-10.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3