80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
80 + 4R = 100 (or pretty darn close)

:rally_guys:

Oh crap! Am I glad I didn't write that!

I did almost post this though to these Runner Lovers.....

"I'm sure you think your 4Runners can out wheel a Wrangler as well huh?"

I'm sure some would have said "oh heck yes". LOL!

eric1115

Adventurer
Oh crap! Am I glad I didn't write that!

I did almost post this though to these Runner Lovers.....

"I'm sure you think your 4Runners can out wheel a Wrangler as well huh?"

I'm sure some would have said "oh heck yes". LOL!

"some" would have said heck yes and been right! There are lots and lots of early solid axled, locked, armored 4Runners that can beat the tar out of most of the Wranglers out there. And there are a lot of locked, armored Wranglers out there that can beat the tar out of most of the 4Runners. And there are truggies based on both that will beat the tar out of all the full-bodied trucks. And there are competition buggies that will embarrass all the truggies. What's your point?

uzj100

Adventurer
Shotts,

I was just saying an 80 plus 4R (IFS) is similiar to a 100 and the 100 could possibly be a good alternative.

I do know the 100 is one of the most durable and reliable vehicles I have ever owned or been around. It is a tank on wheels.

:smiley_drive:

Attachments

• 176k_miles.jpg
    176k_miles.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
When I had a 100 I got hung up on the gas tank a lot more than I do with my 4runner.

The 100 had 275k on it when my brother sold it las year and it was still solid.

Ric

Adventurer
The 100 had 275k on it when my brother sold it las year and it was still solid.

my 99 4runner had 235K on the clock, my 04 had 40K when I bought it 2 years ago, now has over 100K :victory:
Id still love to have an 80

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
My 89 has 290K on it and I too still would love to have an 80-series...

But, now that I've read all of SchottsCruisers unbelievably insightfull posts I'm rethinking my whole plan... I'm going to give up my extremely well-built, reliable, prefect wheel-based, trail machine and replace it with a defunct, less-then-idealy designed, hard to see out of, product of image lust GM product...

:D Oh wait no I'm not... But I would still love to have an 80 Series. Or better yet, I make the 1st Gen do as a DD for another few years then I import a 70 Series to serve as my DD/Expo rig and turn the 1st Gen into a purpose built trail-toy... yeah, now THAT sounds like a great plan... Oh how I dream of one day having a 70 Series here in N.America!!!!!

Anywho, back on topic: I really don't think you can go wrong with a 4th Gen 4Runner OR an 80 series, but IMO I think the 4th Gen would make a better all-around "EXPO" rig because of it's superior ride quality and the added power and milage you get from the V8... The 80-series is one AWESOME truck and probably one if not THE best 4wd's ever offered on our shores, but with their solid axles and glorified tractor motors they're better on the trail then the highway. Better still, swap the UZJ100's V8 into an 80 (like the Slee converted truck that was recently posted) and have the best of both worlds. Now THAT would be one FINE do EVERYTHING well rigs eh. No matter what yuou choose, don't letSchottsCruisers steer you away from the 4th Gen 4Runner as it really is an AWESOME truck with TONS of potential and it's a Toyota so it's not only a great performer, but it'll still be on the road (or trail ;) ) when it hits 300K miles unlike some other trucks mentioned in this thread... YES, the 4th Gen moght be the lowest most "mall-crawler" of the 4Runners STOCK, but there are some easy, proven remedy's for that and they're great rigs...

Cheers

Dave

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
... snip...
Better still, swap the UZJ100's V8 into an 80 (like the Slee converted truck that was recently posted) and have the best of both worlds. Now THAT would be one FINE do EVERYTHING well rigs eh.

Snip...

Have you guys noticed how quiet I've been? :Wow1: Back on topic-

Yes, agreed, I recetly saw that Slee 4.7L V8 80 in person and really liked it. Nice clean swap, stock air-cleaner, etc. :victory:

YES, the 4th Gen moght be the lowest most "mall-crawler" of the 4Runners STOCK, but there are some easy, proven remedy's for that and they're great rigs...

Cheers

Dave

So true, I actually call my 4th Gen The Mall Crawler most of the time, and sometimes a "low rider". And I love it. :smiley_drive:

Klierslc

Explorer
Anywho, back on topic: I really don't think you can go wrong with a 4th Gen 4Runner OR an 80 series, but IMO I think the 4th Gen would make a better all-around "EXPO" rig because of it's superior ride quality and the added power and milage you get from the V8... The 80-series is one AWESOME truck and probably one if not THE best 4wd's ever offered on our shores, but with their solid axles and glorified tractor motors they're better on the trail then the highway. Better still, swap the UZJ100's V8 into an 80 (like the Slee converted truck that was recently posted) and have the best of both worlds. Now THAT would be one FINE do EVERYTHING well rigs eh. No matter what yuou choose, don't letSchottsCruisers steer you away from the 4th Gen 4Runner as it really is an AWESOME truck with TONS of potential and it's a Toyota so it's not only a great performer, but it'll still be on the road (or trail ;) ) when it hits 300K miles unlike some other trucks mentioned in this thread... YES, the 4th Gen moght be the lowest most "mall-crawler" of the 4Runners STOCK, but there are some easy, proven remedy's for that and they're great rigs...

Cheers

Dave

I agree with this, except for one thing. The 80 does just fine on the freeway. It can't pull high elevation passes at speed, and it doesn't tow very fast, but for 95% of the freeways out there, it has more than enough power.

I also think it rides just fine.....as good or better than my wife's sequoia...

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
I agree with this, except for one thing. The 80 does just fine on the freeway. It can't pull high elevation passes at speed, and it doesn't tow very fast, but for 95% of the freeways out there, it has more than enough power.

At 30-40% more fuel cost.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Redline: HAHAHA yeah mate, I was wondering when you'd chime in here eh ;) Like I said, they may be the lowest stock, but there are some well proven and quality solutions for that problem. Plus being a Toyota the aftermarket is HUGE compared to the other truck mentioned by a certain someone who shall remain nameless... Anything that the Other HAS the 4Runner can be equiped with and will be, in the long run (or at the moment the mods are made) the vastly superior vehicle... In fact I seem to remember a Petersens 4wd of the Year competetion where all of my gripes about the "Other truck" were echoed exactly and -GASP- the two of the GM twins suffered game ending failures... They also HATED the WB of the T version, for good reason... it's TERRIBLE and costs the truck ALOT of manuverability and GC/Breakover... ANyway.

Good to hear you're happy... Honestly being that I run a 1st Gen with a 22RE I don't imagine I'd find the 80 as "pokey" as others do... I just know that the highway power and milage is the BIGGEST gripe here on Expo about the 80-series so I'm speaking from that not my own personal experience. I personaly have no gripes about an SFA'd trucks ride quality, but some out there seem to notice the difference like night and day... Me, not so much ;)

Cheers

Dave

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Not talking about an H3T.

Oh, and it's OK to disagree with me on this. It also means you'te disagreeing with all the magazine tests as well. Everybody praises the H3 for it's unequalled capability in it's class. Denial is your friend. :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater