80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

TwinCruiser

Observer
Wow...a one year old thread and it, like a Land Cruiser:sombrero: just keeps on ticking.

FWIW, my first ever new car purchase was an '85 4Runner, 4X4.

I was in the market for a new truck...but then the Runner caught my eye.
It was love at first site. Back then, they were basically a Toyota pickup with the removable shell in the back. My Runner had the 22R motor, carbed.

Damn, I wish I still had that one. Lots of fond memories from my youth.

Anyway, now I own a
1965 FJ-40 and a '92 80. Wife drives a '07 GX-470.

That being said, I have test driven the 4th gen. Runner.
It is a great vehicle. I would gladly trade my 80 for a Runner...except I don't want anymore car payments, so I guess I'll "keep her".

I'm not going to get into the whole which is better....80, Runner, H3 or Wranger...just like arguing politics, religion or the infamous pistol vs. revolver....those are arguments I shy away from.

Carry on.....

Klierslc

Explorer
Until....you get to a 2% grade for a mile or more. Even I80 in Iowa will have her shifting into 2nd trying to keep up.

I found that the 80 will pull a 2,000 foot 6 mile climb at speed as long as you get a run at it (used to drive it every week) I also found that when loaded down with a roof rack, a stiff headwind would make it downshift on flat ground. With the 285s that I have now, I don't have any issues with any of the hills in VA. I know that the elevation is a huge factor, but I got good performance when I lived in Idaho and Montana.

daPitbull

Adventurer
lol, mines dubbed "The MiniVan"
Mine has been called a Volvo station wagon on 35".

I think it pretty rediculous to argue which rig is better, the driver is what really counts. And Shotts, you should probably should wheel with more experienced folks if they're getting hung up all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues