90 Dodge CTD build(pics)

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
I wonder if you could call Roken-tek or Bosch and have em make an 8 cylinder head and rotor?

I've heard rumors that bosch had designed one but ultamatly the Roosamaster/Stanadyne DB series was cheaper.

I am extremley proud of my miles. BTW what your old Ford have for miles?

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Excellent pics Pullit. Just keep them coming. But be carefull, some guys would rather sleep with their Cummins then with their wife......:costumed-smiley-007

Rot Box

Explorer
I wonder if you could call Roken-tek or Bosch and have em make an 8 cylinder head and rotor?

I've heard rumors that bosch had designed one but ultamatly the Roosamaster/Stanadyne DB series was cheaper.

I am extremley proud of my miles. BTW what your old Ford have for miles?

Yep cost was the decision maker which is unfortunate. The DB2 is ok at best, but there is no dynamic timing or anything like that plus they are a 100k mile pump at best :(

I'm creeping up on 250k miles :bike_rider: The motor died (previous owner) from cavitation/block worm back in 2001 so there were a few cylinder sleeves installed along with a rebuild at that time.

A guy at work was asking me about buying a 5.9 that he really liked but he wasn't sure about it because it had "high" miles. Turns out there was 175k on the odo........ I couldn't help but laugh :coffeedrink:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Not much of an update but I decided to build a new spring pack for the rear, I picked up a decent set of stockers to modify and what not so I don't have to use a block at all when I finaly get around to getting the shackle flip done.

Other than that I really havn't done much to it latly as I've been working a lot, Put in 61 hours this week at work.

Anywho today I cleaned and vacuumed out the interior and washed it.

just a couple interior shots.
Dodgepics026-1.jpg

Dodgepics027-1.jpg

Dodgepics020-2.jpg

Dodgepics023-1.jpg

Dodgepics021-1.jpg

lstzephyr

wanderer
Your truck is one of my favorites. Just a no frills old truck without all the goofy stuff that seems to be everywhere. The fact that you just upgrade or rebuild anything when it wears out or breaks instead of buying a different truck inspires me.

I first read about your truck a couple years ago. One night after driving almost all the way across the US(Colorado to California then to Alabama) my truck's alternator died and I lost my lights. I drove around for a few minutes before I parked at the top of a long hill, and got a hotel room down the street. I read about you flipping your truck, swapping the cabs and the rest of the buildup that night. I gotta admit your story made me feel better. I walked out to my old truck and bumpstarted it down that long hill in a cloud of smoke with confidence the next morning. Drove it home 2 hours with no electrical at all but it made it. That was the start of my love for these old cummins powered dodges.

:victory: Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Thank you, I'm glad I have inspired you.

I actually still have to do the cab swap, I'm just waitin to find somone who will paint it before I toss it on. And yep been there with the electrical But I was having fusible link issues.

I just don't see a need for all these whiz bang new trucks at all, IMO I think half the fun of an older truck is the upgrading and rebuilding and making it work how you want.

And like you I wouldn't be afraid to hop in my old junk and drive across the country at a moments notice:smiley_drive:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well today I scored some NV4500s in various states of disrepair, I got 1 Dodge diesel 4x4 that will end up being a spare for my truck, 1 early chevy 4x4 low gear 6.5 tranny I got for a buddys project and 1 2wd Dodge Diesel tranny for a project I'm doing later on down the road.

Dodgepics044.jpg

Dodgepics043.jpg

Dodgepics045.jpg

The 4x4 Dodge tranny will be totaly rebuilt before it goes in the truck I'll be using another 2wd tranny for parts that I already own and a Zumbrota bearing and seal kit and updated 5th nut.

The 2wd Dodge tranny in the pic is a Zumbrota reman and looks dang good, Just gotta put an input and retainer back on and it should be ready to go.

All in all it was a pretty good day.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Yesterday I replaced the reciever drier, expansion valve and chopped in a condensor in an attempt to get the A/C working. Just gotta vac it down and see if she's good.

Dodgepics054.jpg

Dodgepics056.jpg

Dodgepics057.jpg

Dodgepics060.jpg

Dodgepics061.jpg

Dodgepics062.jpg

Dodgepics063.jpg

Dodgepics064.jpg

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Went on a little road trip this weekend!! Had a little get together with some friends from 1stgen.org and the TDR over in Creston IA. It was a good weekend slept under the stars, got to put some more miles on the old truck, got to see some friends, made some new friends ate, drank and was merry, I even got some stuff done on the truck while I was there.

Couple pics.
Right after I rolled in.
MMmeet2011009.jpg

MMmeet2011010.jpg

MMmeet2011012.jpg

At breakfast on Saturday.
MMmeet2011016.jpg

MMmeet2011015.jpg

Back at Michaels. Changin the lube in Petes rag.
MMmeet2011017.jpg

MMmeet2011018.jpg

MMmeet2011019.jpg

MMmeet2011025.jpg

Micheals Crew
MMmeet2011026.jpg

MMmeet2011028.jpg

MMmeet2011030.jpg

MMmeet2011032.jpg

MMmeet2011033.jpg

MMmeet2011034.jpg

MMmeet2011035.jpg

MMmeet2011036.jpg

MMmeet2011037.jpg

MMmeet2011038.jpg

Mel, Ike, and Bryans trucks
MMmeet2011040.jpg

MMmeet2011041.jpg

Garricks truck
MMmeet2011042.jpg

MMmeet2011044.jpg

Ike and Bryans trucks
MMmeet2011031.jpg

Back in my State
MMmeet2011045.jpg

Rot Box

Explorer
Lots of good looking first gens! :Wow1:

In the 11th pic from the top is the red one in the very back a Cummins as well? If so I really love the older grill swap :bike_rider:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
It is a lot of fun. I've been pulling some sort of somthing with a motor for about 18 years now.

I think I posted videos of my old junk pulling earlier in the thread.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well the AC works now, Had to cut a hole in the HVAC box the clean out the evap core, It now blows a lot harder out the vents and with the AC on it blow 44 degree air!!! Should be good enough for me. This will be weird I've never had a vehicle with working air.

Heres some pics of what it looked like.

Dodgepics124.jpg

Dodgepics125.jpg

Dodgepics126.jpg

We got a bunch of stuff done on the old junk this weekend too.

We Put a Good used radiator in and put a fan shroud on, then we Put on a Ramcharger rear bumper then we put a set of Mile Marker hubs on the front and then we put on some new bed rail caps and painted the toolbox black and put it back in after that we washed the truck and then got out the high speed buffer and put a real good shine on the old multicolor. We also put the exhaust back under the truck. Gettin ready to pull street stock.

All in all it was a fairly productive weekend.

Picture time

Dodgepics144.jpg

Dodgepics133.jpg

Dodgepics152.jpg

Dodgepics153.jpg

Dodgepics132.jpg

Dodgepics139.jpg

Dodgepics150.jpg

Dodgepics140.jpg

Dodgepics138.jpg

Dodgepics141.jpg

Couple more pics I took today.