90 Dodge CTD build(pics)

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
That was it I think Black and gold. Anyway we left it it was rusty. All 4 door bottoms were starting to go, rockers were rusty, and what not. It did however look decent in the pics.

I wish I would have seen your post. I would have. After Driving through there I'm sure I will be back in the near future when its not snowing.

We had dinner in Pocatello then shot 15 to 30 back into Wyoming. This was actually my 1st experiance snow driving in the mountains.

I'll be posting up some pics in a few minutes.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
The trip wasn't a total waste however as I got to see some areas I've never been and this morning we met up with a guy in Cheyenne who we knew from other sites that had some parts for sale. I picked up a grille guard for the 90 an ATS manifold ,a Greg Houge quick spool cam, a Fast cooler for the tranny, a spare alternator w/ rebuild kit, I also got a NIB kingpin rebuild setup.

Anywho heres some pics I snapped in my journey over the last 48 hours. These pics don't do this area justice. These were taken with my crappy little GE point and shoot I take everywhere.

Between Rawlins and Rock springs
mountainsandstuff004.jpg

mountainsandstuff007.jpg

Gettin a drink in Rock Springs.
mountainsandstuff014.jpg

After Boulder the Roads started gettin crappy
Stopped to lock hubs,piss and take this pic.
mountainsandstuff017.jpg

Briger Teton National forest.
mountainsandstuff025.jpg

mountainsandstuff028.jpg

Pulled off for a little photo op
mountainsandstuff027.jpg

mountainsandstuff029.jpg

mountainsandstuff030.jpg

mountainsandstuff031.jpg

mountainsandstuff032.jpg

mountainsandstuff034.jpg

mountainsandstuff035.jpg

mountainsandstuff036.jpg

Stopped for a Samich and some Tylenol. This was also where we found out Teton Pass was closed and had to take another route. Nice lady worked there, Anna was her name.
mountainsandstuff037.jpg

More snowy fun Mountain roads along the Snake river.
mountainsandstuff038.jpg

mountainsandstuff039.jpg

mountainsandstuff041.jpg

Idaho.
mountainsandstuff047.jpg

mountainsandstuff049.jpg

mountainsandstuff051.jpg

Stopped, pissed, unlocked hubs and took this pic.
mountainsandstuff058.jpg

A truck in Idaho Falls. I shoulda stopped and got some info on it.
mountainsandstuff059.jpg

My Junk and a rusty Suburban.
mountainsandstuff060.jpg

Can Someone tell me what Range that is off in the Distance this is goin south on 15 coming into Pocatello. After we ate and headed in there the snow got pretty bad, at least for a flatlander that hasn't driven any twisty mountain roads covered in snow at night. It was fun though. However I didn't feel like taken pics while driving then.
mountainsandstuff068.jpg

Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Man, that's a long way for a rusty sub! I once drove from around four hours north of Spokane to Grants Pass on the Or-Ca border because a guy told me his f350 powerstroke 5 speed was "mint". After I went a hundred yards and tried to shift, the stick was in my hand, not in the tranny... Needless to say, I feel your pain. I hate it when people don't tell it like it is. Huge waste of time and money for all involved! Looks like a nice drive though. I love Wyoming!

Rot Box

Explorer
Can Someone tell me what Range that is off in the Distance this is goin south on 15 coming into Pocatello.
[/IMG]

Great pics. Crazy how much Wyoming changes in scenery from one end to the other isn't it?

As for that section of mountains outside Pokey I believe it is considered part of the Targhee National Forest. Great dirt biking anyway :)

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Yeah it is wild, one end is flat as a board and the other end words can't describe

A buddy had bought the burb after seeing only a few pics "Kinda dumb" but I didn't know the details on the deal . Oh well what can ya do. I got the chance to put more miles on the Dodge(Currently at 421,000) and see some places I've never seen before. I also got some good snow experience on the twistys, I got plenty on straight flat roads but none iin places like this. It was a good experience.

My buddy paid the fuel bill and I had a few days off so we threw a change of clothes and a tow bar in the truck and drove west. Like I said the trip wasn't a waste (at least for me) I scored some good deals on some good parts and I will soon be planning a trip back to the area for later this year. I'll spend a little more time there this next time and probly be solo so I can take my time. I hit ya up for that beer next time round. Maybe you could show me around a bit.

Rot, Check out what the owner of the burb drives.
mountainsandstuff061.jpg

mountainsandstuff062.jpg

Heres a pic of some of the parts I got.
mountainsandstuff073.jpg

mountainsandstuff074.jpg

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Love the brush guard! It's only just slightly redneck! I dd'd a '69 F100 with a four speed and no power steering for quite a while last year. It was great fun, but you sure weren't going to be enjoying a coffee as you drove through town, unless you had a couple of extra arms! It eventually lost a timing gear, so I traded it with a mechanic buddy for a supply and install of a pyro and some other goodies for my '94 12 valve.

Last edited:

Rot Box

Explorer
Nice IDI! I love seeing them in the older pickups. He's missing something important though... Its one of those things under the hood that makes a whistling sound :coffeedrink: That guy is a member of another forum I'm on so I figured that was the same suburban you guys were going to look at. He actually is (or was) building a Ford Courier with a Mercedes Benz OM617 diesel in it.

Let me know I'd be happy to show you around. The exploring and scenery around here is endless! I'm surprised you guy's didn't head up to the Tetons while you were so close.

EDIT: I guess in those conditions you wouldn't be able to see them anyway.. Good excuse to come back though :)

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Yeah I've kinda been looking for one of those guards for a while.

Yeah I saw the courier sittin there and some reminants of a benz motor.

I would have loved to head up there but conditions were getting bad.

I will definetly be back!!!!

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well did a little work to the ATS manifold I picked up. I port matched all the ports to smooth out flow. Should help with spoolup and power across the board.

As cast
Misc083.jpg

Misc085.jpg

After a little work.
Misc086.jpg

Misc087.jpg

Misc089.jpg

Before
Misc092.jpg

After
Misc093.jpg

Misc094.jpg

Heres a few other things I picked up to.

Almost complete NIB Kingpin setup, With Socket and big allen
Misc097.jpg

Max spool cam!!!!! This plus the manifold should drop EGT Considerably, Broaden the power curve and clear up a bunch of smoke.
Misc098.jpg

Last edited:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Got the manifold on today with only a minor bit of cussing. I also got the grille guard on too. That was a PITA.

It was kinda nice being able to work in a heated shop. A guy on another forum betwen Souix City and Omaha wanted me to do a governor spring on his ride so in payment he let me pull my junk in and help me on the manifold and guard. When I left he still tried to pay me.

dodgepics056-1.jpg

dodgepics055-1.jpg

dodgepics053-1.jpg

dodgepics061-1.jpg

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I dig the grill guard!!

Nice work on the manifold...question: How do you know how to match it to the head? Do you use the gasket as a guide?

Rot Box

Explorer
Lookin' good :coffee drink:

I wanted an ATS manifold for old 92 really bad but I was too nervous to attempt removing the old bolts. Sometime long before I bought the truck the manifold must have gotten very hot and cooled quickly as it actually stretched the front and rear bolts, leaving a broken one in the front :Wow1: It never leaked so I left it alone.

BCHauler

Adventurer
Heated garage...drool...I completely understand. Getting to work in a heated garage would be payment enough for me too.

Grill guard looks really good.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Lance, I just use a gasket and scribe the outline. On this manifold I could still see the line from the gasket so we just followed that.

Rot. I had the stock manifold off about a year and a half ago when I did the head gasket(again) so I wasn't to worried about busting bolts. Manifold shrinkage is a very common problem on the 12v motors and if they shrink enough they can break bolts as you know and can actually break the ears off the head. The ATS 3 piece manifold fixes that issue. I have a spare 7mm head that is good otherwise it just has a broken ear, I might take one of my junk 9mm heads and whack an ear off and weld it on to the 7mm. On my spare motor the manifold was severly shrunk and had a broken bolt and when I tried takin it off, I broke all but 3 bolts. I still get to drill all those out.

Yeah it was heated but had a dirt floor, but hey I don't mind gettin dirty so it all worked out. sure as hell beats rollin around in the snow!!

I'm diggin the grille guard too. It one of the better looking an better built ones I've seen for a 1stgen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater