96 Discovery I - Let The Money Flow!

Took the Disco to Falconworks here in Tucson... for a little help in the whole "sloppy steering" problem - and to get a 'once over' to get a punch list of everything that may, or may not, need updating, replacement, etc.

Turns out that there two of the bolts that hold the steering gear box were...not really... what you might call... totally... completely... there. The drop arm was worn... and, oh sure.. 3/4 of the tie rod ends were shot.

Soooo... going with a full tie rod replacement (if you do 3, why not all 4?) and a parts truck drop arm... with alignment and such... somewhere in the vicinity of $500 later... plus about $250 of other misc things like replacing the power steering hose... and I have now spent more than the purchase price on the Disco... in a week and a half.

Actually, my intention is to pretty much make a mechanically "new" 1996 Discovery - to the extent that it is possible. That doesn't ensure reliability, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Please don't take this as a complaint! After all, in perspective, the Land Rover is a great deal....and the Disco I's are as reliable as you maintain them. My '99 Wrangler has a persistent, intermittent ground in the radio/cigarette lighter circuit that only happened after I had Chrysler "warranty work" done to correct a dashboard issue that made all of the gauges go blank/zero (happened within the first 2,000 miles after I drove it off the lot). I have spent hours of my time and hundreds of dollars of other's time trying to locate it.. and the cigarette lighter STILL doesn't work... shorts are easy.. grounds suck. It is back there, in a wiring harness...somewhere... I won't even talk about the gas tank replacement because the crappy interior lining sloughed off a flake a time, intermittently clogging the fuel lines... or the lock cylinder that had an ever-so-slight trickle drain on the battery...

Nothing is perfect and if you use these vehicles like WE use these vehicles, something is going to break. It is inevitable. The best hope is that it breaks in someplace convenient.

Let's be realistic, I am into the Land Rover for about $8,000 so far... and I probably have about another $2-3K left before I am satisfied that it is how I want it.. which, at that point, will be a fantastic expo vehicle.... for $10,000 or so... which is about the down payment on a Sportsmobile! So, even if I drop another $10,000 into it... I am still ahead of the game!

...and I always wanted a Land Rover... that is justification enough!

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Interesting comment from the guy who had to swap a transmission in Utah on his Land Cruiser :p

We remember these things - you know. . .

I guess one shouldn't be so honest and forthcoming in the future!

LR swere great back in the days of real adventure and exploring on the dark continent. Since then they have focused on a higher end market and as such lost a lot of quality.

BTW Scott: after 20 years old, many kms and my noobiness, the trani is fixed and no other problems. Had I known this problem prior to the trip, it could have totally been avoided. Just my ignorance of the rig. I guess LR never have any issues on the trail just at home, eh?

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
You are in the Land Rover section, bashing Land Rover's reliability and trumpeting Toyota's quality, and you can't take the hit when it comes the other way?

I'm hoping that the entire automotive world learns a lesson from this latest Toyota trouble. Simple is better.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I wish that were the case Mike. But they will solve the problem with more features and technology. Now we won't be able to left foot brake or heel-toe downshift anymore.

We're at the point now, driving is so bad, that I just hope we make the leap to fully-automated vehicles quickly.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

You are in the Land Rover section, bashing Land Rover's reliability and trumpeting Toyota's quality, and you can't take the hit when it comes the other way?

I'm hoping that the entire automotive world learns a lesson from this latest Toyota trouble. Simple is better.

No bashing intended, sorry, simply an observation and one that many make. If Toyota wan't so wrongly in the lime light this might be a totally different case. I agree with you, but unfortunately it is true!

Scott Brady

Founder
I guess one shouldn't be so honest and forthcoming in the future!

You should re-read your first post. I was just putting some perspective on your very blanket statement.

All things being equal, of course a TLC is more reliable that a Rover, but to swoop into a Rover section and make a blanket statement that Rovers will always need work and a TLC only provides fun, is not in the spirit of this forum.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
So wrongly? While the media frenzy has led to some false accusations, such as last week's Prius debacle, they are squarely at fault for actually producing a sticky pedal. Furthermore, they knowingly tried to sweep the issue under the carpet, and documents exist to prove it. Whatever your opinion of Toyota is, no automaker is allowed to produce a sticky throttle, period.

Scott Brady

Founder
Every car manufacturer has claims for sticky throttle. For Toyota, it is just a matter of volume. I am ashamed of the treatment given to Toyota by our government and media - pathetic. I am not a conspiracy theorist at all, but this was purely spin at its finest.

Sorry for the off-topic. Back to our regularly scheduled cool Rover build.

Haven't you found it odd that all of the hoopla about Toyotas is.. a bit much?

I agree with Scott, I am not a conspriacy nut, but there is something a little "intense" about this one.

...and to all of those who are screaming along the highways, or crashing through building walls... becuase their throttle/gas pedal "stuck" open... I offer this simple life saving remedy... reach over to the gear shift/transmission lever and... (here it comes...say it with me)...put it in neutral. Problem solved, lives saved... property damage avoided...

Perhaps this is Darwin at work.. those who are too stupid to perform this simple "fix" to the problem really should not be a part of the gene pool....

Oh yes, Chevy trucks explode into fireballs with the saddle tanks, Pintos explode by looking the wrong way at them... and Corvairs are "unsafe at any speed"...

I am guessing that the major fault in all of these issues was the steering column/gas pedal relay.... no matter the manufacturer, those parts are always primarily the ones that go bad first...

....and now back to me spending money on my Rover....

CanuckMariner/Nomad

You should re-read your first post. I was just putting some perspective on your very blanket statement.

All things being equal, of course a TLC is more reliable that a Rover, but to swoop into a Rover section and make a blanket statement that Rovers will always need work and a TLC only provides fun, is not in the spirit of this forum.

My apology to you LR folk, as I too am a fan of the ol' versions. I'll stay out of the LR section.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Haven't you found it odd that all of the hoopla about Toyotas is.. a bit much?

I agree with Scott, I am not a conspriacy nut, but there is something a little "intense" about this one.

How is what is happening to Toyota now, different than what happened to Ford with the Firestone recall? Where were the bleeding hearts then?

Both problems, at their root, were a minor and obscure technical problem that got blown all out of proportion because so many drivers these days have no idea how to operate their vehicles properly.

All automakers were subject to this witch hunt at one time or another. What's happening to Toyota is no different, other than some Toyota fans who think that somehow Toyota is... different. Special. Nothing like this could possibly happen if not for the shadowy work of some government agency.

I mean really... one only has to go back to the early 80's and look at what happened with Audi and their sudden acceleration problem. They didn't even make a sticky gas pedal, they just placed it too close to the brake! The government didn't own GM and Chrysler back then, yet Audi was crucified in the media and public perception, and their sales didn't recover for a long long time.

Both problems, at their root, were a minor and obscure technical problem that got blown all out of proportion because so many drivers these days have no idea how to operate their vehicles properly.

Hence, the steering column/gas pedal relay issue....

All automakers were subject to this witch hunt at one time or another. What's happening to Toyota is no different, other than some Toyota fans who think that somehow Toyota is... different. Special. Nothing like this could possibly happen if not for the shadowy work of some government agency.

Actually, what I was alluding to was more of a media problem in that this was only "brought to light" when a select few upper-middle class white people were affected. Until then, it was just the minor technical issue you were talking about.... it wasn't until it was a Lexus that had a problem that anyone noticed... or cared beyond the page 28 article.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Ah. Ok. I do agree, this is mostly a media problem, not a government problem. Having a CHP officer who is "highly skilled", make a 911 call while the throttle is stuck, and then crash killing 4 people... that's a big story during a slow news cycle. It snowballed from there. The government is just doing what they have to do in response to a situation like this. What really were they going to do, try to ignore it? Then they'd be accused of not doing their jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3