97 F-350 CCLB build:

Seabass

Idiot
So as long as I've had this truck I've felt like something wasn't right with the rear driveshaft. Anyone that's ever drove a truck with a vibration of any kind from the drive shaft can pick it out. This one wasn't all that bad....almost non-existent below 65mph. But I swore it was there once I exceeded 65. Then there was the major break down in fall of 14' where I slung the cups out of the joint closest to the t-case. The breakdown that busted the case on my tranny. I told the shop that repaired the transmission to have the shaft checked....but I never believed they did. So Monday I had some free time and I removed the shaft and took it to a reputable big truck shop. The shaft had problems. I needed a new yoke at the t-case. The tech said the cups literally fell out when he removed the clips, the splines on the slip shaft were loose (something I noticed when I removed the shaft from the truck) and the carrier bearing was rough sounding. The rubber bushing around the carrier was also coming apart. So today I got it back. Several hundred dollars and all new spicer u-joints and some yokes- oh, and a balancing job - and its back in. Time for a test drive! And the usual pics....
23e009284cec396674bb0d0b4a31fb52.jpg
b4441bcf08007c82a1989cc353c65060.jpg
51d924c32c31438058c874595c47216c.jpg
701dc27646ac72a31b7b70473d5dc3b8.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
Did you rhino line it?

Remember that salt I was talkin about? It's just the shiney black paint the shop put on after they welded the new weights and yokes on. Nothin like a little surface rust and black paint! It's not as bad as it looks. The sun was setting and I took the pics while under the truck. It looks like rhino lining.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Remember that salt I was talkin about? It's just the shiney black paint the shop put on after they welded the new weights and yokes on. Nothin like a little surface rust and black paint! It's not as bad as it looks. The sun was setting and I took the pics while under the truck. It looks like rhino lining.

Oh it's hammertoned! :bike_rider:

Seabass

Idiot
Never did finish.... The money I spent on the driveshaft- WORTH EVERY STINKING PENNY!!! Totally different truck! It's like riding on glass- super smooth! I drove it down the interstate, actually I'm driving the crap out of it right now while I'm doing the engine swap on the work truck. Anyway, I was running nearly eighty mph on the interstate the other day.....on accident! Yeah, that NEVER happened before. By seventy mph I always felt bad for the truck because it seemed like I was about to twist the crank into. Not now. It's SO NICE! That's why I spent the extra dime to get the shaft totally re-worked on the work truck....that and it was too short with the new engine and transmission.

underdrive

jackwagon
Oh yes, driveshaft vibes can be pretty horrendous thing. Good bearing killers too, especially for that mile-long rear output your 4407 t-case has :D

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Oh yes, driveshaft vibes can be pretty horrendous thing. Good bearing killers too, especially for that mile-long rear output your 4407 t-case has :D

I'll second that. Horrible damage can be done from an out of balance shaft. That was high on my list of things to get done on my project. Nice problem to have is which OBS Ford to drive. :smiley_drive:

Seabass

Idiot
I'll second that. Horrible damage can be done from an out of balance shaft. That was high on my list of things to get done on my project. Nice problem to have is which OBS Ford to drive. :smiley_drive:

No kidding on tearing stuff up. I'm sure that's what caused my transmission case to bust a year or so back. And yeah....it's kinda a cool problem to have tryin to figure out which truck to drive!

Seabass

Idiot
I ain't posted in a while.....but I haven't had much goin on. Been puttin a lot of work into the old work truck. It's gettin close to done. In fact, I ought to update that thread. Anyway, my ole' Power Stroke ain't starting very good. In fact I've had to jump it several times in the last few weeks. It really needs new batteries. Soooooo........what does the Expedition Portal community like for batteries? Max power is a must for these old diesels. I've been searching- Interstate? Optima? Die Hard? There's so many! I'm not sure what to buy. To be honest, price isn't an issue. I don't want to worry that if I drive the truck somewhere way off the beaten path and it gets really cold that the truck won't start. I mean, how much is that really worth?! Any help would be seriously considered, and greatly appreciated!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Odyssey agm's have been very good for me. I've been in cold and hot temps with no problems. They also hold up to the pounding I put my truck through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach