'99 4runner rack questions...

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
After my recent trip (see trip report) I've decided I need to use my roof rack more (right now I only use it when I carry the canoe.)

Three questions:

1. Where can I get the end caps for the factory rack tracks? All of mine broke off when I was trying to remove the rack a couple of years ago. Seems like they're made out of flimsy plastic and they have a weak joint that is prone to breakage. I managed to break all of mine removing them so now my rack looks ugly. Is there any way to keep these from breaking other than just leave them on?

2. I have an old Yakima rack that I'd like to use. I got it for my 90 Montero, which of course had gutters. Obviously I can't use the "towers" but there's no reason I can't use the cross bars. As I understand it, Yakima makes tower bases ("Landing pads") that will slide into my factory rack in place of the factory rails, then I will have a set of high quality towers and I can take the cross bars off when I don't need them.

My only question here is: Where is the best place to buy Yakima components? Their on-line direct prices seem kind of high, I can't help but wonder if maybe they are cheaper at one of the discounted retailers.

3. Has anyone else done this with a Yakima rack? My idea is to eventually go with a rooftop basket for, among other things, extra fuel (which would most likely be carried in a flat carrier like a Roto-Pax.)

Thanks in advance! :coffee:

CYi5

Explorer
Craigslist is your friend. Many of the components you describe I run on my setup. However, I don't really run anything on the roof anymore besides the capped off Landing pads and factory crossbars. The latest addition being surfboard pads on the factory bars.

I mainly got the yakima bars to carry a hi-lift, but it's truly a rattle magnet, even on the highway.

slus

Adventurer
Yep, I had Thule racks on my first 2 4runners and Yakimas on this one. Your cross bars are fine, they should be about the right width. Unfortunately, those are also about the cheapest component of the rack:Wow1: I got most of my rack accessories from Craigslist, but always end up getting the vehicle specific "fit kit" from REI or a local shop. You'll need control towers and the fit kit, plus your bars, and whatever accessories you want. I also strongly advice lock cores, and buy a big back so it only hurts once (expensive!), and all your keys will match. Also, I get pretty bad wind noise with an empty rack, so mine either has a fairing, a WindJammer, or my cargo box on top.

End caps for factory racks...you mean the plastic pieces at the end of the rails? I don't mean to be rude, but you took out the countersunk screw in the track before removing, right? I broke one that way. Stuck it back on with black RTV silicone after installing my aftermarket racks and it was still there a year later when I sold it.

4RunAmok

Explorer
The end caps are cheap at the dealer... remove the screw closest to the end, and loosen the next screw over, snap the cap in place, and tighten in reverse order. Good as new!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
End caps for factory racks...you mean the plastic pieces at the end of the rails? I don't mean to be rude, but you took out the countersunk screw in the track before removing, right? I broke one that way. Stuck it back on with black RTV silicone after installing my aftermarket racks and it was still there a year later when I sold it.

Oh yeah, the little Torx screw? Sure, I took them out. Problem is, the screw fits onto a little 'tab' and the joint between that tab and the end cap is very fragile - just wiggling it enough to pull the cap off was enough to break every one of those little tabs!

Of course, my 4runner is a Colorado vehicle and appears to have been parked outside for most of its life, so the plastic parts on the roof are very faded and weatherized from the sun and temp changes - a 4runner in a more mild climate might not have the same problems.

If I can get Yakima landing pads on there, I'll put the end caps on and leave them. I should be able to take the towers on and off and slide them around as much as I want.

bikerjosh

Explorer
Have the very same set up, and broken missing factory end caps. Dealer qouted me $15 a piece needing four I figured I'd wait for someone to part out theirs. You need landing pad, #1 I believe from yakima. I found to "as new" set on ebay paid about $7 for each pair.
As far as the end caps, the ones I managed to find were pretty weathered, cleaned them with alcohol and sprayed them with Krylon "fusion" paint for plastic. They look pretty good now.
Josh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk