99' XJ: Slowly Going Down Under.

Frank

Explorer
Just have them sandblasted if you dont want to scuff them up yourself. Painting is easy...just use good paint and a good primer, clean them really well with some mineral spirits before paint, lots of light coats...and of course paint them in a warm (60+ degrees) environment and they should turn out great.

BTW, did my lift over the weekend. What a nightmare. Everything was totally seized due to rust, PB and the impact did very little. I dont think I will ever do another lift again without a torch. Your undercarriage looked much better than mine so I assume yours was much easier. No way could I have done this without the help of my brother in laws shop and lift.

Also, as the guy at Sierra Expeditions warned me...a TC drop is needed on my Jeep. Did you install one?

Last edited:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Transfer case drops aren't usually needed for a small lift like this, the driveline angle isn't changed that dramatically.

MCObray

Explorer
Just have them sandblasted if you dont want to scuff them up yourself. Painting is easy...just use good paint and a good primer, clean them really well with some mineral spirits before paint, lots of light coats...and of course paint them in a warm (60+ degrees) environment and they should turn out great.

BTW, did my lift over the weekend. What a nightmare. Everything was totally seized due to rust, PB and the impact did very little. I dont think I will ever do another lift again without a torch. Your undercarriage looked much better than mine so I assume yours was much easier. No way could I have done this without the help of my brother in laws shop and lift.

Also, as the guy at Sierra Expeditions warned me...a TC drop is needed on my Jeep. Did you install one?

Funny enough, I picked up another set of Sawblades on Sunday. These are in great condition and I am going to leave them in there original finish to avoid additional cost for sandblast/paint for now. I appreciated the suggest though and will keep that in mind.

Yeah thats the typical suspension on the XJ. Luckily for me, I only ran into a problem with the upper passenger shock bolts. Both snapped and had to do a drill-n-tap. I was also fortunate enough to be guided by a member on here, Nikson. It helps so much when you get another helping hand along the way.

Every Jeep is different and from what I have read, the 97+ XJ is more prone to vibs than the Pre-97 XJs. I went ahead and had one installed on mine. I'll eventually replace it someday when I bump up an inch or two with and add a AA/SYE combo.

MCObray

Explorer
A few pics from the unusual snow that we encountered on Leap Day:
securedownload-20.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

Frank

Explorer
Awesome deal on the wheels!

I just dropped my Jeep off for an alignment and this weekend will be doing the tcase drop. I'm thinking I will probably just stack washers up and go that route. Some people say only use a solid t-case drop but some kits actually come with just 2 round stock spacers for the drop. -the washers will act in the same manner.

My new wheels and tires will be going on this evening.

I really hope this will cure the vibration. I'm sure it will from what I read.

MCObray

Explorer
Awesome deal on the wheels!

I just dropped my Jeep off for an alignment and this weekend will be doing the tcase drop. I'm thinking I will probably just stack washers up and go that route. Some people say only use a solid t-case drop but some kits actually come with just 2 round stock spacers for the drop. -the washers will act in the same manner.

My new wheels and tires will be going on this evening.

I really hope this will cure the vibration. I'm sure it will from what I read.

Yeah a killer deal indeed.

Nice man, sounds like everything is coming together for you. You don't happen to have build thread for your Jeep do you? It's always cool to see others progress.

MCObray

Explorer
Well, today I took the time to go get my Sawblades installed and my Ravines. Well... i'll just let the pictures take over from here.

EDIT: Sorry for the attached files and multiple shots of the same photo, not sure how that all got messed up. Nonetheless, enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0118.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0112.jpg
    IMG_0112.jpg