A new twist on bed mounted RTT's

BrianTN

Adventurer
Looks nice. I'm currently designing a rack for my truck. What size tubing did you use and how did you bend the hoops?

pray4surf

Explorer
The basic rack is 1.5" 0.095 wall tubing bent by a local fabricator. The two bars that tie the two hoops are also 1.5" x 0.095 wall also. The 'feet' that rest on the bed rails are 1-1/2" x 1/8" angle.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:

pray4surf

Explorer
Had my first 2 nights out in the new rack - No offroading involved as we spent the weekend at San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff CA. While our friends were glamping in the travel trailer and pigging out on Bull Taco mex food, the wife and I spent two wonderful nights in the RTT and cooking on our camp stove.

SanElijoAugust13 008.jpg

Of course the weather cooperated - even the ever-persistant marine layer remained off-shore till the wee hours of the night.

Not much to report - the rack performed admirably. Felt as solid 'way up in the air' as it did mounted at the previous heights. Any movement was simply the suspension of the truck. Having a fully functional annex was a huge plus - and got me thinking about annex improvements - like wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of suspended storage/shelving; hold the toiletries, keep clothes and footware off the ground. Also, had an ant problem as they little buggers found there way up the annex walls to the truck and the RTT itself :(

SanElijoAugust13 003.jpg

SanElijoAugust13 016.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
Had my first 2 nights out in the new rack - No offroading involved as we spent the weekend at San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff CA. While our friends were glamping in the travel trailer and pigging out on Bull Taco mex food, the wife and I spent two wonderful nights in the RTT and cooking on our camp stove.

View attachment 178898

Of course the weather cooperated - even the ever-persistant marine layer remained off-shore till the wee hours of the night.

Not much to report - the rack performed admirably. Felt as solid 'way up in the air' as it did mounted at the previous heights. Any movement was simply the suspension of the truck. Having a fully functional annex was a huge plus - and got me thinking about annex improvements - like wouldn't it be nice to have some sort of suspended storage/shelving; hold the toiletries, keep clothes and footware off the ground. Also, had an ant problem as they little buggers found there way up the annex walls to the truck and the RTT itself :(

View attachment 178899

View attachment 178903
I installed a new RTT rack raising mine up to be cab-level. I am working on a way to use the space right under the tent for some type of storage too instead of wasting the space. A trip to the hardware store will probably help with my idea.

Ford Prefect

Expedition Leader
A little bit of ant killer sprayed onto your bars of your rack, the add a room sides, and the ladder should solve your issue with the ants (once you get them out) but also work hard to avoid putting any food up there at all; obviously they search after the crumbs.

Glad it worked well for you. Last time I camped it was in something like your friends camper, sorry, I liked that way myself. Still your rtt looks amazing!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Nice job! I've been thinking the same thing for a trailer, great to find it already done! Now, what about a cam attachment at the top of the lifting levers to the platform to level the platform, for greater travel to level, telescope the straight pipe of the lifting levers and pin them in place. ? :)

KK6POV

Adventurer
I never got to see you raise your tent at DRV, just read the whole thread, very awesome design and it works so effortlessly!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater