A Rig Named Scout and its Adventures

joelwho

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your pics, Love the Rig looks like you put a lot of thought and love into it,
My son is 3 and I've been slowly modifying my X for Overland, I got some good Ideas from you
Cheers

Thank you.

Yes get the young ones out. Mine love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joelwho

Adventurer
i'm planning a 2016 Summer trip to the San Juan Mountains. thought these may help...

so far it's two Xterras, my two sons, my best friend, his nephew and his dog. here are a few of the sights we plan to see...

Silverton, Clear Lake, Ophir Pass, Alta Lakes, Telluride, Imogene Pass, Yankee Boy Basin, Ouray, Engineer Pass, Alpine Loop, Lake City and Last Dollar Road. I think we'll stay away from Black Bear Pass this go around. any other suggestions?

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Yes those books are good. Also check out this website:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

And get smart on MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) that the forest service puts out. They have GPS embedded .pdfs that you can run on your tablet/phone of choice (I use a non-GPS enabled iPad with a Bad Elf GPS antenna).

An idea: as you come into the mountains in CO you can take Medano Pass (find it on the link above) over and exit thru the Great Sand Dune National Park before heading further west toward Telluride and the Alpine Loop area.

joelwho

Adventurer
Yes those books are good. Also check out this website:
http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php

And get smart on MVUMs (Motor Vehicle Use Maps) that the forest service puts out. They have GPS embedded .pdfs that you can run on your tablet/phone of choice (I use a non-GPS enabled iPad with a Bad Elf GPS antenna).

An idea: as you come into the mountains in CO you can take Medano Pass (find it on the link above) over and exit thru the Great Sand Dune National Park before heading further west toward Telluride and the Alpine Loop area.

Excellent! thanks! I'm digging the Trail Damage site. I'm unfamiliar with the MVUMs. i'll have to delve into them. and yes, Great Sand Dunes was originally on the list as 'on the way there' or 'on the way home' option. now that I know there is a trail, I may be adding it back.

I appreciate the input. thank you!

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Here's the link for the San Carlos Ranger District (where Medano Pass is):
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/psicc/maps-pubs/?cid=stelprdb5350798

Or, if you use an iPad (I'm not up on the other operating systems- it may be the same) download an app called Avenza PDF maps. Then go into the store within the app and you can search for available maps. Use the traildamage site to help identify which ranger districts each trail is in that you're interested in. The maps aren't really that big so I have the entire state of CO downloaded.

And who knows, there might even be some MVUMs for your neck of the woods.

socalctcamper

Observer
How do you like the Ridgid cases. I recently bought the middle and top box. Can you post pics of what you have in them? Thanks.

joelwho

Adventurer
How do you like the Ridgid cases. I recently bought the middle and top box. Can you post pics of what you have in them? Thanks.

I can tell you what I store in them...

the smaller box has miscellaneous gear (zip ties, a couple of bungies, a volt/ohm meter, paracord, duct tape, electrical tape, wd40, BP Blaster, a small hammer and mallet, ...)

one of the medium boxes has my complete ARB winch recovery kit, and ARB tire repair kit)

the other has my Viair 450P air compressor

I think that's about it.

joelwho

Adventurer
finally finished my CB install. I went with the all-in-one Cobra 75 WX ST and a 4' Firestik antenna. I grounded the antenna with a half inch flat braid strap to the frame.

to be continued...

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
Your rig looks awesome! Jealous of your trip to CO this year. Last June we drove to Red River, NM. Take time to do some fly fishing!

justbecause

perpetually lost
If you get into red river, the goose lake trail was fun, not challenging, highly maintained, even though it was maintained with rather large rocks. (or it was in 20009) but, the lake at the end is very pretty, and we really enjoyed camping there. my wife and I were dating at the time, and working at Philmont Scout Ranch, that was one of our favorite places to go during our off days. We went up to the lake 2 or 3 times.

If you are in the area 4th of July, Eagle Nest has a fireworks show.

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow how did I miss this rig? Sweet looking X and cool to see its nearly hitting 200k and still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal