Adding Driving Lights

I'm thinking about adding a pair of driving lights to the brush guard on my truck. They would be mounted about 3' above ground level in between my headlights. My goal is to increase my visibility to both sides and to increase the distance visibility as well. These would be used almost exclusively for off road travels at slow speeds as I have a camper on the back of the truck. Often I find myself looking for campsites after sunset and I'm thinking this might be helpful.

I'd like to stay below $200 (less is better) for the pair and the wiring.

Anybody have suggestions ?? Thanks.

Hawk Thor

If you look at used light you can score a set of Hella 4000 for 100-150$

IPF Super Rally 930 pair can be had for 200-300$ used.

How big of a light can you fit on your light-bar?

YukonRob

Adventurer
For slow speeds over mild terrain I would think you could make do with a less expenisive off-brand. You can find two, three, or even four light sets on ebay that will fit your budget criteria. If ebay's not your thing then similar lights (in terms of quality and price point) can be found at Harbor Freight or Kragen.

java

Expedition Leader
little more than you want to spend but the oriely HID's are awesome. ~300 for a pair of 7"

The brush guard has pre drilled holes for two lights. From center of hole to face of the truck grill is about 3 1/2" to 3/4".

I talked with a buddy today that manages a truck shop and he suggested PIAA 510's which he had in the shop and said that he sell for $200 for the pair with the complete kit.

I've been on the internet today searching around but I'm not finding what I need. To be more specific, it would be most important for them to have a wide coverage (like 140 degrees or something). When you drive down old dirt roads at night and look for somewhat flat spots, that are good for the camper, it's always difficult to see to the sides. Probably a spot light would be best but I'm not so interested in that.

Of the lights suggested so far, does anyone know how wide of a beam that they have ?

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
The brush guard has pre drilled holes for two lights. From center of hole to face of the truck grill is about 3 1/2" to 3/4".

I talked with a buddy today that manages a truck shop and he suggested PIAA 510's which he had in the shop and said that he sell for $200 for the pair with the complete kit.

I've been on the internet today searching around but I'm not finding what I need. To be more specific, it would be most important for them to have a wide coverage (like 140 degrees or something). When you drive down old dirt roads at night and look for somewhat flat spots, that are good for the camper, it's always difficult to see to the sides. Probably a spot light would be best but I'm not so interested in that.

Of the lights suggested so far, does anyone know how wide of a beam that they have ?
Don't waste your money on PIAA; overblown and they don't perform as hyped.

If you want wide beams, look at foglights. Hella Micro DE, Bosch Compact 100, Cibie Oscars.

chasespeed

Explorer
Don't waste your money on PIAA; overblown and they don't perform as hyped.

If you want wide beams, look at foglights. Hella Micro DE, Bosch Compact 100, Cibie Oscars.

X2

A large spread pattern is only going to had with a fog light.

A driving light produces a much more focused beam, further down.

Chase

bat

Explorer
I think 2 fogs and 1 driving in the middle would be a nice setup, gives you a nice rounded light

I never gave much thought to adding fog lights since they're designed for fog. But maybe that is the way to go.

I like the idea of adding (2) fog lights with a driving light in the center.

I'm headed into town shortly and I think I'll stop by the four wheel drive shop and have a look at what they have.

It sure would be nice if they're was a website where you could review the specs. on all of the options including prices.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It's appreciated.....................

poriggity

Explorer
Depends on your budget. If you are on a budget, Hella are awesome for the price, but if you are less concerned with $$ amount, take a look at Lightforce.
Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal