Adding Driving Lights

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I'm headed into town shortly and I think I'll stop by the four wheel drive shop and have a look at what they have.
Most 4WD specialty shops only carry the brands that are "popular" with the 4WD crowd. Many of these choices are overpriced 3rd-world junk. The 3 lights I mentioned are top-notch performers, although not "popular" by 4WD standards...

bmxer06pa

Adventurer
My idea is a little outside the box compared to the rest of the suggestions but how about a go light? It is rare I out run my headlights when I am traveling slow looking for a campsite. It is also equally rare that the camping spot I find is directly In the path of my headlights. I usually wish I could see what is ahead to the right or left of my headlights. They seem to make something in pretty much every price range.

http://www.google.com/search?q=go+l...ct=mode&cd=5&ved=0CBQQ_AUoBA&biw=768&bih=1024

Sirocco

Explorer
I never gave much thought to adding fog lights since they're designed for fog. But maybe that is the way to go.

I like the idea of adding (2) fog lights with a driving light in the center.

I'm headed into town shortly and I think I'll stop by the four wheel drive shop and have a look at what they have.

It sure would be nice if they're was a website where you could review the specs. on all of the options including prices.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. It's appreciated.....................

proper fogs wont be as good as flood for your needs as the lens should be yellow and designed for low down mounting.

There are 3 basic patterns: spot, driving, flood.

spot does what it says on the tin with a concerntrated beam pattern generally aorund the 5degree mark.

driving lamps are a little wider, generally 20 degrees.

flood lights protrude little forward light and generally spread over 45 degrees. These are great for slow speed offroad use and sound like what you want.

cant help you with makes/suppliers as im in the UK.

I can say I have PIAA 80xt on my D90 and think they are ace :coffeedrink:

G

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
If you really want to cover your bases, get 3 Rigid Dually lights in flood pattern. Place two at 45 degree angles on each side of the bumper and one facing forward. You'll get about 210 degrees of coverage at about 1000 lumens. And you can triple the lumens with Dually D2.

Nearly industructible too.

And cute...

craig333

Expedition Leader
Most 4WD specialty shops only carry the brands that are "popular" with the 4WD crowd. Many of these choices are overpriced 3rd-world junk. The 3 lights I mentioned are top-notch performers, although not "popular" by 4WD standards...

Bosch and Cibie aren't easy to source. Probably the reason there. I know of only one source each and I'm a light guy.

Just back from the shop. They weren't much help. Yesterday we had high winds here and they had exterior doors open at each end of their warehouse. The wind blew over a 40' high by 100' long block wall into his shop. Much of his equipment was trashed as well as one Jeep. He wasn't much interested in selling lights. No big deal for now. Once again thanks all. I've got time to shop around and check out the different ideas.

chasespeed

Explorer
proper fogs wont be as good as flood for your needs as the lens should be yellow and designed for low down mounting.

We can get fogs without the yellow, though, yes, that is more traditional... I had a set of Hella 500s in a fog pattern on my old trooper. Bright, normal beam, but, more spread out than my driving lights...

I know what a "proper fog" is... but, a lot stuff is labeled either fog, or driving, with, emphasis on the spread of the light...

right or wrong, just sayin...

On that note, to the OP, beware of what you are buying... look at lighting charts, and make sure you will get what you want.

Chase

Hawk Thor

You can get the Hella 4000 with cornering beams. Those are used by many rally drivers to give them good side view while also dispersing the light forwards.

bat

Explorer
I used Hella 500/ff1000 before but I was wondering if anybody has used some of the Pro Comp lights. They seem to have a really good price just not sure on the quality.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Bosch and Cibie aren't easy to source. Probably the reason there. I know of only one source each and I'm a light guy.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-0305055001-Compact-Clear-Light/dp/B002KD0GFE"]Amazon.com: Bosch 0305055001 Compact 100 Clear Lens Fog Light: Automotive[/ame]

PV Hiker

Observer
You can get the Hella 4000 with cornering beams. Those are used by many rally drivers to give them good side view while also dispersing the light forwards.

That is what I have on the right side and would not be without one. Amazing light and pattern.

PV Hiker

Observer
This is what I have. Click on the online catalog http://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaUSA/WebSite/Channels/Home/Home.jsp

H12560051 Rallye 4000 Halogen Cornering Beam Lamp - Black Housing 12V (Single)

part number1F8 007 560-111MaterialtextLAMP RE 4000 C BEAM BLK H1 12VCatalogue SectionAuxiliary LampsNominal Voltage [V]12VWattage [W]100Amperage [A]8.33Beam PatternCornering BeamTechnologyFree-Form Reflector
HalogenBulb Industry CodeH1Bulb TypeH1MountingUprightFitting SideFrontFeatureMatte Black Metal Housing
High quality structured glass lens puts light where you need it
Designed for the most extreme driving conditions
Knurled adjustment knobs for fast, easy adjustments without the need for special tools
Change the look of any Rallye 4000 Series lamp with our "NEW" Color Shieldz Protective Laminates available in Yellow, Smoke, or Blue shadesNoteOff-road use onlyBrand NameHellaProduct TitleRallye 4000 Halogen Cornering Beam Lamp Black Housing (Single)UPC Code760687748090Package - Weight [lbs]6.6645058Package - Length [in]9.8425Package - Width [in]6.2992Package - Height [in]11.22045Country Of OriginDE GermanyProduct Description (long)Rallye 4000 Halogen Cornering Beam Lamp Black Housing (Single)

h12560051-pri.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal