Advice on Expedition Vehicles

lilb

I'm starting to plan a 3 to 4 month cross country tour. Backcountry camping and hiking is my main goal but I've become very interested in taking my vehicle into the backcountry. The problem is the truck I was going to take is a Toyota Tundra 2wd - Here is my question... should I sell my current truck or try to outfit it (rear locker and lift). Money is always a concern. Thanks!

FLYFISHEXPERT

LivingOverland.com
It would help to know the types of destinations you will be traveling to. 99% of the time you will probably be driving on paved roads, so your 2wd will serve you fine in those cases. If you're not looking any 'hardcore' off-roading and just driving Forest Service Roads, your 2wd will be fine there as well.

That said, I think you would be fine running what you have, spend the money on the camping gear and fuel for your trip!

lilb

Thanks. I don't think I will do any serious offroading but I would love to get out on the beach.

ol' scott

Adventurer
If nothing hardcore is planned I'd certainly stick with 2wd. As Beau said you can make it a lot of places in this country in 2WD, a lot of folks have done it for years. Save your money for camping gear and GAS! $3.70 average around the country means $80 a tank = 350-400 miles a tank. Thats a lot of money.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
2wd + decent tires + common sense will get you pretty much where you need to go. Long before I ever heard of Expedition Portals I traveled all over the West in my 2wd Ford Ranger. As long as you know your limitations and stay within them you should be fine.

Gerdo

Observer
You can stick with your 2wd. Know your limits.
Sand is the tricky one. Air way down, all 4 tires. Have a way to air back up (compressor, Air tank) and a way/knowledge to re-seat a tire bead (Strap, fluid/match).
Self Recovery equipment is a big one. A winch (electric or manual), a dead man (Pull-Pal), Hi-Lift jack, Sand ladders (rolls of carpet, actual sand ladders, metal grating)

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm a fan of sticking with a 2wd truck.. better gas mileage and less parts to break/maintain. Honestly if you are a smart driver and have a set of A/T tires your truck will get you every where you want to go. My tundra has always been on street tires and its gotten me all through the New Mexico, Texas, and Colorado with out any problems. Just knwo your limitations.

Another huge plus, for me at least, is when a 2wd truck gets stuck it usually dosen't take much to get it out. When you are by yourself this is always a good thing. I carry two come-a-longs, a shovel, and 50" of good rope.

SHALAKO

My Xterra is 2wd and I've never gotten stuck (yet). I have a set of BFG A/T's and no lift and I've made it through mud, sand and water. Since it's my daily driver I don't want to make it a hardcore off-roader and beat it to hell. My previous car was a 4x4 Grand Cherokee and I rarely but in 4x4 and almost all the times I did I scratched it or did something to it I regretted. Most places I end up going I don't even need 4x4 but thats just me.:)

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
It all depends on where you plan on going and how far offroad you want your truck to take you. I mainly go to National Forests and beaches. I've had no problems with getting where I wanted to go. I have gotten stuck but as stated before you have to work to get it stuck good. I more or less use my truck as my "home base". I drive it to an area and park it/camp. Continuing on foot or bike. I go alone sometimes but most of the times I am accompanied by a 4x4 so I have some insurance.

Just get solid recovery gear. (Hi-lift and chains to use as a winch, Max-tracs, shovel, etc)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77