Aeon Rubber

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I rec'd a call Monday that my Aeon Suspension kits should be in Friday. If so, I shall drive to Odessa Saturday and pick them up. I also ordered a recording accelerometer and if I can get it to work, I should be able to generate some before and after measurements over the same terrain.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I rec'd a call Monday that my Aeon Suspension kits should be in Friday. If so, I shall drive to Odessa Saturday and pick them up. I also ordered a recording accelerometer and if I can get it to work, I should be able to generate some before and after measurements over the same terrain.

Man, you are serious. I'm really curious as to what the results will be. I'll probably won't have time to mount any on mine for a couple of months so I think I'll wait to order some until your results are posted.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I guess once an engineer always an engineer. Only difference is that I don't have a big corporate R&D budget to tap into anymore. Now, I look for bargain priced equipment and sometimes it doesn't work as desired. With luck I should something to show in a few weeks.

Bajaroad

Adventurer
I guess once an engineer always an engineer. Only difference is that I don't have a big corporate R&D budget to tap into anymore. Now, I look for bargain priced equipment and sometimes it doesn't work as desired. With luck I should something to show in a few weeks.

Bruce - any update on this?

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Bruce - any update on this?

I think you would say that I am in the "strategizing" stage. Nice way to say still procrastinating. I have everything in hand but I am still learning how to program the accelerometer.
Of course there was the little issue of doing my taxes and now doing the City, County, State, and Federal taxes for a NonProfit that I belong to. Seems as I had more free time when I was working.
I hope to get back on the tests after the 20th of this month. I hope I get some useful data.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I have finally been able to get back on the project. I have made 3 runs over a 26 mile circuit with several road surfaces. Below is a typical data plot. The section with large xy&z movement is a rough dirt road. The z axis measures vertical suspension movement. Next step is to install the Aeon suspension and redo the tests.

This is raw data that I hope to smooth out to make more legible. I have been talking to the manufacturer about some software glitches, so a data smoothing program may be built in. I just have not been able to find it. Their tech guy has been very helpful.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
This looks very cool. Keep us posted. We're planning to head out to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in early June. If the rubber springs make a difference, I may install them before we leave if I have enough time.

Tom_D

Observer
Used them for 4 years

I started with the heavy duty (set recommended by manufacture) but changed to the mid weight when I removed the heavy bumper and winch. The company provided the mid weight set for free. They seem to help stop the truck from bottoming over cattle gates etc. My FG is heavy and I load the top rack and the mid weight works well -- the heavy set was very harsh over expansion joints etc. No sign of wear after 30K miles.

Tom

DontPanic42

Adventurer
Finally had the Aeon 'rubber baby buggy bumpers' installed this week. My initial impression is that they do take some of the harshness out of the ride. No air ride like a fully isolated cab Freightliner but better. My first instrumented trial after installation came up a cropper as the accelerometer broke free of its mount when I bottomed out on the dirt section. Fixed that and had a good run today. There was also a 35 mph cross wind during the run. The truck seemed a bit more stable. Today's run is probably the last for several days as we are in the midst of a "Frog strangler" here as I type with major rain coming down and ping pong ball sized hail predicted in some places. The 2 miles of dirt is mostly clay so with all the rain it will be as my Pappy used to say "slippery as snot on a brass door knob". Since we are expecting storms for the next 5 - 6 days or so, I should have time to crunch the data I have in hand.

Last edited:

gait

Explorer
thanks for the plots Bruce, always nice to have measured data as well as subjective assessments.

Tom_D

Observer
different types

Look on the Timbren web site for part numbers. The heavy ones used to be the recommend ones now it looks like the "regular" one is the mid weight.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
As I stated earlier, I had the Aeon bumpers installed and did a test run. The operative word is "a". I have been using a course that included several road surfaces including a stretch of rough dirt road that goes up to the local pistol and rifle range. After I made the first post installation run someone decided that after the very wet (for us) winter, it would be a good idea to grade the dirt road and take out all the ruts. Without going into a lot of extranious information, I believe it may have been done at this time as the Sheriffs' Department had a week of Officer Qualifications scheduled. We now have a better road but I lost my test track. So I am stuck with only one set of data and some empircial observations.
As I stated the harshness of the ride seems to be less. Also, as everything settles in, the rear seems to have a more solid feel. The fellow that did the installation said he noticed the same thing. I haven't noticed much of a change in the front. Anyway here is the data plot for the only post installation run:

The junk at the beginning is from the device beinning installed on the truck after being activated. Then there is a pause while I warm up the engine before setting off on the run. There is a second pause on the rough section when I stopped to fix the Range gate.
The run stops abruptly as a new data file is created. I plan to merge the two files and cleanup the extraneous pauses and compare it to the original preinstallation runs. That will take a while.
As an aside, does anyone know where I can obtain a suspension seat for the FG? I tried United Truck Center last summer but they said they can't get them now even though it is still on their website. I found a used seat from a FK/FM that from the picture looks like it might work. Will it? My skinny old butt will appreciate it.
I will post when I get the raw data files completed if someone would like them to play with.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I bought an Australian Stratos suspension seat which I installed in my FG. I really like it. I think someone does import them into the US.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven