Aeon Rubber

kerry

Expedition Leader
Checked the dimensions on the MFFFGA kit. They seem correct. Talked to Murray and he is sending me the MFFFGA kit. I'll keep you posted when it arrives.
I told him that something was wrong the fit chart they have. Murray said he would inform engineering. I bought my original MFFFG kit from SD Truck Springs but Murray is sending me the replacement kit directly.
Do you have Murray's e-mail address? It's sales@timbren.com

kerry

Expedition Leader
Installed my front Timbren's today. Took about 3 hours. The big u-bolts had probably not been loosened since they were installed in 99 so it took some wd-40 and tightening and loosening them to get them free enough to install the Timbrens. 2--14mm nuts hold the original bump stops on. Used a gear wrench on the left and a 3/8 ratchet/extension/universal joint to get them loose on the right. Haven't driven it yet so can offer no opinion on their utility.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Ok, I took it for a short test drive. They do exactly what I hoped they would do. They take away the bone jarring abruptness of the OE solid rubber stops. They don't turn it into a Cadillac but will stop the fillings from being jolted from your teeth.

I'm going to order a set for the rear also I think.

DontPanic42

Adventurer
I just found this thread. I used the MFFFGA kit on the front suspension of my FG639. As you noted, the picture I previously posted shows the final setup.
The ride seems less harsh and more stable.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Got my rear Timbrens and am installing them. Without them, load is carried on the second level 'overload' springs and OE rubber bump stop is about 3/8" above the axle. Timbrens are taller than the OE bump stop so when installed, load is carried on the Timbren against the axle and second level overload springs are about 3/4" from the load carrying bracket. What are people's opinions on this difference? I assume it will give a softer ride initially at least for the first 3/4" which is more travel than I had with the original bump stop.

By the way, the bolts that come with the kit were too large for the existing holes as someone else mentioned earlier. Rather than drill out the holes, I got new bolts the same size as the oe bolt to attach the Timbrens, so that if I ever wanted to go back to the OE rubber stops, they would still bolt up readily.

Last edited:

westyss

Explorer
I installed timbrens on the front to try to get a better ride, and the ride was some what improved as far as a bit more absorbsion by the timbrens, but, not much. My concensus is that the travel is limited overall in the front so that the timbrens compress a certain amount to slowly absorb the shock but the limited travel available in front will not improve, that has a set limit that can only get better by a lift. Once the lift is in then the timbren could compress progressively, but as it stands in a stock truck , the front is not going to get much better. I think I said this before, but I would save my money for a better suspension, hind sight being 20/20, that being said, anyone want to buy some timbrens?? :smiley_drive:

Note: Suspension guy said the same thing, just not enough travel distance available with stock suspension.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I agree that there is inadequate travel in the OE suspension. However, I can't justify the $$ for a complete suspension upgrade in the my truck. The front Timbrens did improve the ride quality significantly, mostly by eliminating the ultra hard bump stop which comes into play all the time with the short travel. Not sure the rears will make that noticeable a difference but those bump stops are just as hard so they will make some difference.
I'm curious as to what more engineering inclined people than myself make of the load being transferred from the 'helper' or 'overload' spring to the Timbrens. Significant or not??

kerry

Expedition Leader
Here's how the fitting went,
At first the holes were too small for the bolts supplied
IMG_0116.jpg

So then I had to drill the bastard out, which isn't an issue with the drill resharpened for battery drill cutting speed.
IMG_0118.jpg

then the bolt went through with about .25 mm tolerance, nice...
IMG_0119.jpg

As you can see, not much chance of it working until it's loaded...
IMG_0120.jpg

Steers were easier with a 3/4" Impact gun, loosened the U bolts and removed the bumpstop.
IMG_0121.jpg

Slide the new Aeons in and retighten the U bolts
IMG_0122.jpg

Compare the Old V's New, You can see the difference the progressive Aeon has over the std. bump stop. And I agree with Defenderbeam (and his dog, which you would never want to argue with!!!) the steers show an immediate improvement, as I'm sure the rears will.
IMG_0123.jpg

Thanks
Chock

In those pictures, your rear Timbrens look much smaller than mine. Maybe it is because you are unloaded and the perspective of the camera but I had to jack up my truck by the frame quite a bit to get the Timbrens in place and they barely squeezed in between the shock and the frame. The rears on mine are far bigger than the fronts. This is with the camper on the truck. They are about 1-2" taller than the OE bump stops. Is that the case on yours?

kerry

Expedition Leader
I thought of another related question. How does the fact that the Timbrens cause the truck to ride higher effect the brake proportioning valve/system? I assume the higher ride means it thinks the rear of the truck is lighter than it really is??

kerry

Expedition Leader
Took the first long trip this past weekend with the rear Timbrens installed. They do make a difference. They left me with the surprising impression that the truck actually has suspension. Definitely worth doing front and back although the results you get will probably depend on how the weight is distributed on your truck.

PKDreamers

Adventurer
We fitted front and rears Aeons to our FG649 and took it for a test drive for 700kms on mainly dirt back roads towing a trailer the ride has improved heaps . There is no more jarring from bumps.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Just finished at trip up and down I-76 in Colorado which I had done with no Timbrens, with just front Timbrens and now with front and rear Timbrens. I'd say the ride is improved between 20-25% with the Timbrens. Very subjective measure, I know, but the Timbrens take away the very rough jarring which occurs with the OE bump stops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven