Alaskan Camper Build Up

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
The truck is looking great as usual Carl. I also like the new addition to your family. Congrats on the new dog. Happy travels my friend.... Cheers, Chilli...:)

Rot Box

Explorer
So parents have been making their way through Oregon over the last few days in route to the coastal highway. They sent me a picture text today saying "Check out this sweet truck with alaskan camper! thought you'd like it!" Sure enough it was Carlyle's rig :bike_rider:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hey Rot Box, that was definitely us in Oregon. On our way back from some crabbing in Oregon and a little camper work in Washington.

dm2zd2j.jpg

Carlyle

Explorer
On our way to Oregon:

qfwNWp4.jpg

In Oregon:
j4PldTU.jpg

Crabbing time!:
UwWj2oV.jpg

Camping at the Alaskan factory:
n8NogKw.jpg

We had a side panel split along a seam on the camper back in April. As Bryan and Rick at Alaskan dug into it it was discovered that water had slipped in despite my efforts.
VggoO96.jpg

Siding is replaced and better than new now under warranty.

Carlyle

Explorer
Newest edition to the Alaskanabego! A 30 amp Smartplug:

9PTi8vm.jpg

UMUGmRz.jpg

KVqXk6d.jpg

http://www.smartplug.com

After an electrifying event in Galveston several years in which the air was so high in humidity and salt on the beach while we were camping I started thinking. The typical rv/truck camper plug in is simply not as waterproof as needed in some situations. After a web search I found the Smartplug that is used incidentally on the XP Camper. I talked to the folks there and they sent me a set up for my camper. Since the skin was being pulled on that side of the camper it was an easy upgrade. After installation, I had a test in the first couple days in heavy rainstorms on the way back from the Pacific. Just because I had to know, I sprayed water from a nozzle from multiple positions to further test the water repellency of this unit. It came out with flying colors! No short and no water inside the unit.

I would recommend this plug to anyone building up a camper or as a retrofit for the simple reason that electricity is not a fun feeling.

Scrapdaddy

Adventurer
I just read about your front dif. leak. I have 2010 5500 and the front pinion seal leaked twice. No explanation as to why. Dodge paid for both seals.

nick disjunkt

Adventurer
It takes up a little space inside the vehicle but this was my solution:

P1020549.JPG

The locker could be much shorter but I was left with a hole from some equipment previously installed to the truck. You open the hatch to plug the cable in, and when you shut it, the cable exits through a slit at the bottom. It also makes it harder for someone to steal you cable (copper in the UK is about US$6,000/tonne) although there's nothing stopping someone from cutting the cable.

Carlyle

Explorer
Newest edition to the Alaskanabego! A 30 amp Smartplug:

http://www.smartplug.com

After an electrifying event in Galveston several years in which the air was so high in humidity and salt on the beach while we were camping I started thinking. The typical rv/truck camper plug in is simply not as waterproof as needed in some situations. After a web search I found the Smartplug that is used incidentally on the XP Camper. I talked to the folks there and they sent me a set up for my camper. Since the skin was being pulled on that side of the camper it was an easy upgrade. After installation, I had a test in the first couple days in heavy rainstorms on the way back from the Pacific. Just because I had to know, I sprayed water from a nozzle from multiple positions to further test the water repellency of this unit. It came out with flying colors! No short and no water inside the unit.

I would recommend this plug to anyone building up a camper or as a retrofit for the simple reason that electricity is not a fun feeling.

I also like the fact that it locks in place in three places and is lit so you know you have a power source.

Carlyle

Explorer
Also visited Stonehenge, maybe not the first one...

3wWxnm5.jpg

And a little wildlife that looked tasty at Black Canyon of the Gunnison:
1Gi74HY.jpg

Trying to figure out a way to do a portable RO unit for the camper next to replace this sediment filter.
l8HKRiE.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk