Alaskan Camper Build Up

VikingVince

Explorer
Sweet setup...you're giving Alaskan a lot of good PR...they had, for some reason, fallen off my radar as a possibility...but after following your build and seeing the results they're a viable choice for sure.
What do you do for a shower setup? (sorry if it's somewhere in the thread) Am I correct that Alaskan doesn't offer a shower option?

Happy travels...

wild1

Adventurer
Tw200

The TW200 is more like a burro then a regular dirt bike,you just kind of point it in the direction that you would like to go and let it find its way.Works great for getting around once the camper is set up. The locals in Baja just loved this bike, I was a little concerned if I was going to get it back across the border. I carry it on a modified Versahauler rack, I cut off the 2 inch stinger to get it as close to the back of the truck as possible and to take advantage of the strengh of the 2.5 inch shank. I use it with a Tow Beast 2.5 inch hitch and it has been very rugged. The nice thing about this rack is that I can flat tow my Rubicon using the 2 inch receptacle that is built in to it. Great minds must think alike, I carry my Cannondale tandem mountain bike on the Versa hauler outriggers and my Soar s16 inflatable canoe/kayak behind the seat. I will try to attach a couple of photos but I may need to wait till my son can help.

Carlyle

Explorer
Shower

Alaskan will put a shower in if you want it, but in reality we never used the inside shower on our previous camper in the four years we had it. On the other hand we did use the outside shower and have that on this camper as well. We currently use a small cedar deck and are considering getting a little shower enclosure for a bit of privacy if we happen to be in a place people can roam by.
ShowerDeck.jpg

shower.jpg

I'm interested in seeing some pictures when you get a chance wild1.

wild1

Adventurer
Wild 1 in Baja

Wish it had been us Joaquin, my Dad's been ill so we decided that we needed to stay a little closer to home. We spent most of our time in Arizonia and Utah. We were in Baja for about five weeks last winter and spent a couple of them in the Muluge area. One of the border patrol told us that he had seen a truck all most exactly like ours coming back into the states from Baja last year so there are a few out there. Hopefully I can corral my son and have him show me how to attach a couple of pictures tonight.

wild1

Adventurer
Wild 1 pictures

Here's a couple of photos that give you an idea of how the bike looks on the truck.

Carlyle

Explorer
Now that I've finally done a little cleaning inside after vacation and being back at work I have a few more shots, mainly of the interior:

ICP Solar fan, 3 total in the roof. Quiet and and run 24/7 w/o wiring
Camper056.jpg

Sirius Radio and DVD player in overhead cabinet. I'll be moving the Sirius to be under the deck shortly as it blocks access to the cabinet too much.
Camper059.jpg

22inch flat screen LCD; can you name the movie?
Camper046.jpg

LCD in travel position behind settee. Settee and LCD are on roller bearing guides for movement. Dampened gas struts go on the LCD later.
Camper055.jpg

Solar and Battery bank monitoring system. Still awaiting the battery shunt, but shows the amps coming in from the sun.
Camper043.jpg

Pull down double shades that are partial or full light blocking. I need to mount them closer to the wall for total blocking still.
Camper047.jpg

Thetford toilet cassette; takes a little getter used to, but makes you oh so versatile on the road. We'll never go back to a holding tank again.
Camper058.jpg

More to come after the battery shunt arrives and I read the 200 page manual for the Outback charger/inverter.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
Sorry to sound so ignorant, but what is a "cassette" toilet? It looks like what I know as a porta-potti. How is this different? Or is this just the kinder, gentler, more civilized terminology?

-

Carlyle

Explorer
It is a little more than a porta-potti, at least in my opinion. It does have a flush system and has no odor when flushing or changing the cassette. It may see backwards, but truly hauling around a holding tank full of "black water" and trying to find a dump station whenever you camp is backwards and much more primitive. After a little learning about how to do this I would never go back.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer

fisher205

Explorer
Even the Thetford portable model (similar to the Porta potti) is really easy to use. I got rid of the old Porta Potti in my Alaskan and put in the Thetford Cassette. Not as nice as Carlyle's but I still like it better than a holding tank.

wild1

Adventurer
camper article

That' s great that they did an article on your Alaskan, after living with a 11 1/2 monster for eight years downsizing both systems and size in the Alaskan without losing the comfort has been a liberating experience.

Carlyle

Explorer
Thanks Bob and wild1 for the follow up. Gordon at TCM did a nice article and it does a nice overview of why I went with the present camper. I do think that I will have to do a write up to explain a little more. There are a lot of truck camper people out there that don't realize that they don't have to have what's sitting on the lot that is probably too big for their truck anyways.

Carlyle

Explorer
Well I finally got a nice day to put a couple coats of wax on the top of the camper started adding the Yakima racks.
Camper002.jpg

Towers and cross bars in place.

Camper008.jpg

Camper009.jpg

Load Warrior on with shovel and axe attached.

Camper014.jpg

Steps to climb up to the top. One more is going on lower so that I can climb up when the steps are not deployed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner