Alaskan Camper Build Up

Wow sorry to hear about your setup. Glad no one was hurt in the whole ordeal. I loved that setup too. I'm sure you are getting tired of hearing that :). I live in Colorado springs and have seen you driving it around. Killer setup.

But your new setup sounds top notch!!! Can't wait to see this come together.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.

Sean

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

Sorry to hear about your loss!

My wife and I were at Alaskan last week for a looksee and heard about it then :(

Our current non pop camper has a D5WS Eberspacher which is fab but does require a decent amount of Ahs. I had thought getting the same heater you had would be a next step to produce electric-free heat!

I would have the heater just for the camper though. Ours is currently plumbed into the engine, uses the expansion tank, etc, and when the engine runs with the valves open to provide "free heat" from driving we quite often get air in the camper coolant circuit which is a nightmare to remove due to the almost but not quite flat pipe runs. So our reality is one valve stays shut, then it works fine. If engine preheating is really required then I'd get a second. A dedicated fuel tank would probably be easiest for dismountability IMHO, and it wouldn't need to be big.

Can I ask how good your kennel a/c was? Enough to provide a properly cool breeze over you while sleeping if so aimed? I'm not expecting it to keep the inside cold! ;)

:)

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Grizzlyj,

Thanks for the sentiments on the camper. At this point of research we have decided to stick with propane. A full diesel conversion is about $6k more and there is no way we can put an oven in. They are simply not available for rv's in the US. The dog kennel idea was a complete bust, the small output on that unit was not able to cool even a portion of the camper. It lost it's charge at one point, probably on a crappy road and worked no better after being recharged.

Here is a revised floor plan that Bryan, at Alaskan put together for us:

photo1.jpg

We are seriously considering a vented catalytic heater at this time made by Platinum Car out of Washington State. Less noise and power draw than a furnace. The hot water tank and water pump will go behind the driver's side settee.

Francis

Carlyle
I found a diesel cooktop that will also space heat. It is made by Wallas and is sold in Seattle Wa. by Scan Marine Equipment. The unit is called Safeflame 85DU with the 270 blower lid, it is not cheap either, around 3K for the kit. I was thinking about having Bryan installing it in a new camper, just to expensive for me at this time.
Francis

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Francis,

I see you have discovered the cost of diesel appliances as well. Amp draw is lower than a propane furnace, but still quite a bit. And no oven.

wild1

Adventurer
Carlyle, really sorry to hear your misfortune,I'm glad nobody was hurt. I am excited to see your new setup,you have a great eye for detail and with the experience of building your last truck this one should be killer. I think that your decision on staying with propane is a good one. I spent a week out hunting in some moderately cold weather with a friend that has one of the Wallis stove heater combinations in his camper. When your cooking the space heating output is very low, they draw a good bit of power when the fans running and worse of all they need at least 12.6 volts to run the glow plug that preheats the fuel for the startup. The cost, the lack of an oven and the slight smell of diesel from the exhaust all are minuses for me. A dedicated diesel space heater with a propane stove might make sense but I really don't think they are worth the trouble for cooking.

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi Wild1,

Glad to hear your opinion on the diesel, i don't think the price and drawbacks really justify diesel for me. If this was a boat, it may, but it's not.

Anyone seen any good designs for a fold down set of steps that incorporate a spare tire?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Like everyone else, sorry for the loss.

And I too will be looking forward to your new and improved version. Curious to see what changes you make.

Jack

Carlyle

Explorer
Looking at this bumper by Aluminess in Southern California:

camper-10_lg.jpg

camper-11_lg.jpg

Tire pivots up to use the winch. Have to find a place to put the spare since the chassis cab does not have anywhere underneath to hide it. Thought about in a rack above the cab, but I think the Rickson steel wheel and MPT 81 tire may be a tad heavy to throw up there.

Last edited:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hi David,

Thanks for the pictures and info. I not sure if I want to do a cutout in the rear. One side would take the cassette toilet out and the other the grey water tank. I thought about a swing out on the rear, but am limited on what would interfere if we were towing ever. Aluminess is about a 6 week wait, but need to see a 5500 first to do the measurements as it is a hair wider.

Any other thoughts?

Carl

wild1

Adventurer
Tire carrier

Carlyle, I liked your earlier idea about a spare that would tip back and down with a step built into the back. I think that you could adjust the piviot point so that even if you had a trailer behind the spare would rest on the tounge in the open position so that you could open the rear door. As far as towing you can just extend the ball out a bit if need be. The rear step on the back of my service body is nearly wide enough for a spare to sit on and I still have my motorcycle rack and tow hitch for my Jeep outboard from that. I carried a spare on the front of my truck and camper back in the 70's and it worked ok but I really never cared for for the way it looked or the loss of airflow through the radiator and coolers.

Carlyle

Explorer
As much as I like the cool ideas for the swing gates and various ingenious ideas of hanging a tire off the back, no matter what it will be in the way all the time. Every time I have to get in the back of the camper I will be moving a 100+ lb tire/wheel combination whether it is assisted or not. An open swing gate with a tire on it is something I will definitely what straight into at night when taking the dog for a pee too.

I thought about the other ideas, but they all take away from internal storage that we covet. The longer we get to travel, the more we bring with us.

I've ordered the front tire carrier from Aluminess and if anyone has a Dodge 5500 in the San Diego area could you take it to them to measure it up for me.

Now I'll just need to to find a good bug remover for tires....

Carlyle

Explorer
Ordered a two inch leveling kit for the front of the truck from a company in Oregon called Revtek. I'll need this for the mpt81's to fit. They are one of the few that have there kits on 5500's and they actually talk to you on the phone.

Truck is in production and should be here mid January.

Now to find some chains to fit this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven