Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

allochris

Adventurer
Im not sure if you had this question already, but how much was the siding on the outside? I am making my own camper http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60336
and i need some siding soon. Thanks!

I got 4 sheets for $125. They are odd size that the width just happend to fit the height of my camper (not 4x8). I can't remember how many square footage I got but the base of my camper is about 7'x7', + a bit on roof top & under cab-over section.

Billhilly

Adventurer
If I go for another 22re, I'll just do everything myself as I imagine it will a relatively straightforward swap.
Yeah, it shouldn't be to hard. Remember to allow time/money for clutch work if it needs doing while you are in there.

7000: (excerpt from John Baldwin "Exploring the Coast Mtns on Skis")
Elevation gain : 1400m
Start (ski hill parking lot): 1500m
From ski hill, ski up S ridge of Hudson Bay Mtn, continue to the last flat portion of ridge at 2350m, then ski down a ramp into Simpson Cr for 500m verticle drop, then head up N into the col btwn Kathlyn Pk & a peak W of it. At the summit of Kathlyn Pk (aka: 5000), ski 1700m down the Glacier Gulch Rd.

We had 2 cars, so we park 1 at Glacier Gulch & drove another up the hill. We started skinning at 7am & skied down the 1st 2000ft by 10am, bootpacked up to Kathlyn Peak (2350m) on the 2nd climb by 11am, then skied down to our other car at 12pm. 5hrs mission car to car. 5 of us were hauling, but we had a 20mins break in btwn ski. It's a scenic descent over-looking the Bulkley Valley with a consistant 30-35 degree pitch. Snow warmed up significantly half way down the alpine, not to mention the heavy isothermic snow mush below treeline at this time of year.

Thats one heck of a way to fill the morning in! You'd be ready for lunch after that. Thanks for the explanation. I see your photos and imagine in alot of cases there is alot of uphill before the downhill! Explaining this one (on a mountain I know) puts things in perspective. So 30-35 degree pitch over nearly 1700m drop, how does that compare to stuff you've skied this season? Middle of the road, we ski much steeper most of the time or?

Here's a shot from by Driftwood School. I believe it covers your mornings route.

Attachments

• Copy of DSC01649 (Small).JPG
    Copy of DSC01649 (Small).JPG
    26 KB · Views: 18

allochris

Adventurer
Remember to allow time/money for clutch work if it needs doing while you are in there.

Actually I just got my clutch done 2 Falls ago b4 my last year ski season, that's why I'm determined to do an engine swap rather than a complete truck swap...

So 30-35 degree pitch over nearly 1700m drop, how does that compare to stuff you've skied this season? Middle of the road, we ski much steeper most of the time or?

Actually most fun & some what steep slopes we skied are in the 30-40degree range on open alpine face/bowl all season long. Unless you start descending chutes & couloirs, you probably won't go into 40s ...

Today we came back early bailing our 14hrs Babine Traverse mission from New Babine Lk Rd below 4 Lakes to Winter Parking Lot. The pressure & ceiling was coming down fast as soon as we first poped into the alpine at 11am...Too bad we couldn't see any goats or sun!

allochris

Adventurer
Finally got some time to sort out the pics. Here is the album: http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/allochris/Winter%202011/Smithers%20-%20Tuktoyuktuk/

Some preview:

Dawson City:

(Gas up at McKenzie Petrolium: it's 10cents less than everywhere else in Dawson, it's 24hrs card-lock but accepts credit card. Just south of town, west side of hwy.)

Tombstone/Eagle Plains - Dempster:

(Look how thick the gravel is to build the road on a swamp!)
(Are these the ice-road truckers? At Eagle Plains)

NWT - Dempster:

Inuvik to Tuktoyatuk - Ice Road:

Tuktoyatuk:

(Skied a Pingo in Tuk!)

Last edited:

Billhilly

Adventurer
Shame about the Babine Traverse. Smithers is slowly coming into Spring I guess.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

I was thinking the other day after you talked about Tuk that I had seen it before somewhere (and the Pingo's). A couple of years ago on TV down here Billy Connelly (Scottish comedian) did a series called 'Journey to the edge of the world' (which I recorded). He started in Nova Scotia, then Newfoundland, Baffin Island, and the NW passage. Came ashore at Tuk in the Fall, by boat to Inuvik, then hitched a ride with Bill The Fruitman (from Smithers) down the Dempster. Got out below the Artic circle, choppered into Tombstone, then continued south. Anyway he came down through Dawson City and then down the Cassier Highway and went and stayed with Nancy Ball (then 75) in Glenora, before continuing south. Great show, but not as good as your pictures.

Another great winter nearly done for you both huh? Summer is on it's way. I need to get another load of firewood in!

java

Expedition Leader
22re swap is way easy. find a new one and drop it in. love all the new pics. id love to get up that way soon.

java

Expedition Leader
i imagine so, but finding a good one might be harder than the swap.

hard to find up there? my truck was stolen and the motor toated and i found one pretty quick for 600. but that was a couple years ago. i dont think there are any major differences between US and canadian models. if thats the case there is a big toyota wrecking yard in WA. Nix99, might be worth a try

allochris

Adventurer
Tried Nix99, they got nothing 4 me.

Update: I've just found two 22re available right here in Smithers junkyard!

First 22re has 330xxxKM from an 89. Water pump, throttle body are missing, & distributor is pulled out. It has headgasket & timing chain done about 2 years ago. The guy actually had it running around town until he went into the ditch last winter. The yard is asking $500 for it.

Second one is arriving next week. Don't have much details about it but the yard says it's supposed to be completed w/ low mileage. Goes for $750.

Option 3: Spend $1000 locally just for a headgasket job on my existing engine, & keeping the oil burning issues unfixed.

Option 4: Spend $1400 (asking price) for a drop in 22re rebuilt by a guy from a shop down in Vancouver. + ~$150 for me to tow it up here. (I'm going to see him next Friday.)

Option 5: Spend $2122 tax-in for a reman. at http://www.canadaengines.com/ ($1900 for a reman. + $336 core charge + $224 shipping)

Option 6: Spend $2400 at Disturbed Industries in Vancouver to rebuild my engine.

Option 7: $3000 to rebuilt mine locally at Enjoy Machine.

Option 8: To do the rebuilt myself (except machining) like Kewlynx suggested. I just need to figure out the total cost and when I'll have the time & place & resource to do it though...

Option 9: $650 for a 2.4l diesel eng, clutch and 5 spd trans. (http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/24L-toyota-diesel-pu-engine-clutch-and-trans_14075730) I'm afraid i'll be way underpowered with my camper total at near 5800-6000lbs though...

DzlToy

Explorer
dep on the 2LT2 specs, you could be better off. A 22RE only had about 115 hp and 140 TQ if I recall correctly. Maybe turn the pump up slightly on the diesel for a bit more power, better intake and exhaust or something else simple/bolt on.

Toyota diesel are notoriously underpowered or conservatively tuned, they will take a lot of mods and still live a long life.

allochris

Adventurer
All right, now i just arrived in Vancouver & I'll be off searching for an engine here next couple days.

A cool Unimog setup sighting in Surrey shopping mall parking lot last Tuesday evening:
DSCF6629.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner