Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

allochris

Adventurer
Finally got back in Whitehorse after checking out Haines & skiing at Haines Pass for 3 days! Once again we had amazing 1ft winter fresh powder on 3 Guardsmen north bowl & Nadahinni Glacier.

We are now reorganizing for our drive up north. Hopefully we'll be able to get to Tuk & back to Inuvik b4 the iceroad gets shut for the season.

Ok, some previews:

Kitwanga Jct:

Bell 2 (Ningunsaw Pass):

Cassiar:

WhitePass:

Skagway:

Haines:

Haines Pass - Nadahinni (Ptmargins):

Haines Pass - 3 Guardsmen:

Kluane Lake - Sheeps:

Bike Mech: The camping in Skagway is great! All you needed to do is drive less then 10 mies out of town to Dyea & they have great city run campground right off the bay by the water. April is great to visit AK, as we are litterally the only one on the road & places everywhere we go.

Last edited:

allochris

Adventurer
We've just made it to Inuvik!!! wow, civilization here! especially since driving through eagle plains area as there was nothing but snow, wind, dirt road, & little tress there...

Truck is running smoothly, zero problem so far. Temp's are actually nice, in the minus single digit celcius.

Hopefully the ice road to Tuk will be open tomorrow!:smiley_drive:

ps: it's nice to see that every local here has dark hair like me lol...

allochris

Adventurer
Iceroad to Tuk should be re-opening right now as we speak after snow removal from heavy snow drifting. we drove out on it in Inuvik last night & wow it looks like it's going to be a fun 194km drive one way on pure ice!!!

Apparently everyone in town here is also going up too due to a open class snowmobile race later this afternoon. it's over 100miles or something! :bike_rider:

Billhilly

Adventurer
Well I don't really know what to say. I've stated my jealousy before....
By my reakoning Tuk is around 69N, I'm about 40S, so I rolled Google Earth south to see how far I'd have to go to get to 69S. Past Auckland Island at 50S, past MacQuarie Island (54S), right down to the next continent! The coast of Antartica starts about 68S! You my Toyota driving friend have just driven to Antartica! In fact if you drove from somewhere round the border between CA/OR to Tuk would be the same as driving from my place to Antartica! To cool.
Have a safe trip South.

allochris

Adventurer
We just got back in Inuvik from Tuk! It was just amazing driving (& tow-skiing) in the middle of Mackenzie River & along the shoreline of Beauford Sea for ~200km, all this on pure ice at 80-90km/hr on 2wd!!! (seriously, any car w/ decent tires can do just fine!)

I am now on my 3600km trek southward-bound due for return to work in beginning of May in Princeton http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,73.652344&z=3!

I guess winter have to end eventually...

pics will come...

ps. Don't have to be that jealous...Gas price are just really....expensive here. it's $1.68cad/Liter in Inuvik.:Wow1:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Great adventures Chris. I watched your Vimeo video, looks like you guys found some great powder. Also great to see you guys digging a pit.

I am just down the road from you in Sunshine Valley, you should pop in some time when you are driving through, I'd love to look at your cool camper. You can find me easily because it is the only house with a Defender in front of it. And if you are around next winter I can take you up Silvertip Mtn when I put the tracks back on.

Cheers

allochris

Adventurer
Here are a few group emails Catherine sent out to our friends about our trip:

1) April 9th, 11', Smithers - Bell 2 - Cassiar - Watson Lake:

"After leaving Smithers early in the morning, we drove to Ningunsaw Pass, just north of Bell 2. We skied three days there, every day of which was warm and sunny in the morning and turned into overcast and blustery in the afternoon. Chris and I were both happy to find winter-like conditions for skiing and amazing terrain with quick access to the alpine.

We then drove to Cassiar which is an abandoned mining village about 20km off the highway down a road just north of Jade City. Cassiar is an abandoned mining town. The road to the town is lined with falling down electricity lines on short poles or even scrawny dead trees. The town is dominated by a huge mountain of aggregate (mining waste), which we later found out is probably mostly asbestos. I'ma assuming the town has a caretaker because the road is plowed, and there were three horses and three dogs who came and checked out our truck while we were skiing. We could see them gathering around the truck from the mountain, and later we visited with the horses and one of the dogs. The snow pack was shallow and very decomposed, so we decided not to stay in Cassiar for the night. I think it would have been pretty spooky anyhow. The town is very quiet, but when the wind picks up it moves all the old twisted metal and wires from the abandoned buildings and equipment. The metal is very vocal, howling and clanging. Chris and I went to check out the abandoned equipment and when we got closer I saw giant rusted cable cars hanging from towers and buildings and buildings that were partly demolished leaving twisted metal and asbestos falling out."

2) April 12th, 11', WhitePass - Skagway:

Chris and I are in Scagway right now. We just finished spending three days in White Pass skiing. Every day we got fogged out or whited out or some combination of the two, which was terrible luck for us. We would leave the truck in beautiful endless visibility, then the clouds would come in, and then when we got back to the truck, great visibility again! Argh!!! Yesterday we sat in a hole in the snow next to a rock for 90minutes waiting for it to clear enough to finish going up Cleveland Glacier. Even so, we had poor visibility on our way back. I guess that's what it's like skiing in Alaska.

So, did I tell you WE'VE BEEN SKIING IN ALASKA!?!?! Way too cool! Tomorrow we're catching the ferry to Haines where we're going to ski for a few days before going back to Whitehorse.

Skagway is at sea level, and White Pass is at 800m elevation. It's pretty amazing the difference in season between these two places! White Pass is still in full winter- not even the spring conditions that we experienced further south. Cold cold wind and fresh dry powdery snow. Scagway on the other hand is on the verge of spring. The snowline is at treeline, and the trees are near budding. I'm looking forward to spending a night and day on the ocean, walking around, and stretching my legs.

3) April 17th, 11', Skagway - Haines - Haines Pass:

''Since my last e-mail, we have seen some pretty amazing mountains, and met some some cool people. The day we spent in Scagway was warm, sunny, and relaxing. Chris and I did laundry, and I sat on a tupperware bin in the street with my laundry hang-drying on a fence. It was pretty funny because it looked like I was selling clothes! I just can't imagine this peaceful village being over-run by thousands of cruise ship tourists in just a few weeks! In the evening we caught a ferry to Haines, Alaska. While we were waiting for the ferry (still basking in the calm sun), we watched an enormous black cloud boiling in the distance. We waited in the ferry line-up for a good 90minutes, and just before we started boarding, the winds from the storm entered the bay creating big waves and whitecaps. It hit us with such a sudden force- I would guess that the winds were blowing about 70km an hour! The boat was rocking; the cars were being splashed by the waves breaking over the loading ramp! The most exhilirating part of this adventure was that, while debarking, the ferry got smashed into and dragged across a barrier meant to keep boats out of a shallow gravel spit area of the bay. All the employees (apparently) rushed to the side to see what kind of damage had been incured. All this time, I was enjoying the gloriously hot and free showers on board and being amused by the water washing from side to side over my feet!

Chris and I arrived in Haines in the dark, around 11pm, and drove to Chilkoot Lake, where we camped for the night. We woke up the next morning to find ourselves next to the most beautiful mountain lake I have ever been to. Very comparable to Lake Louise, surrounded by tall glacier covered mountains. Haines Village is a neat little town on the edge of the ocean. It's in a similar setting to Chilkoot Lake, but on a much bigger scale. All around, across the water, and behind, are sparkling massive glaciers and steep mountains, with steep cliffs dropping sharply to the water.

That day we drove to Haines Pass where we found our friends who we had met in White Pass, and made a new friend. Again, we got whited out the next day, on an attempt to go to Nadahini Glacier. So we called it a day and on our way down we encountered flocks of white ptarmigan in the scrubby bushes. They're funny birds who sound like a cross between a turkey, chicken, and a chipmunk. They watched us with cautious curiousity while going about their business of eating the leaves on the bushes and hanging out. Yesterday we finally had a blue-bird day and were able to enjoy some real skiing on the Three Guardsmen Mountain. Some great powder turns with great access off of the highway. This place is worth a re-visit, and I hope I'm not offending any locals by saying that I liked it better than White Pass.

Chris and I spent last night in Destruction Bay and woke up to find a herd of mountain sheep on the slope above us! I counted 21 in all, and we were later told that they're ewes and young rams and that the "bachelor herds" won't regroup with them until later this spring.

So that's about it! Now we're back in Whitehorse, and if we don't dawdle too long here, we're hoping to leave for Dawson City tonight and make it to Tuktuyuktuk in a few days before the ice roads melt.

A big hug to all of you! And thank you for bearing with my e-mail if you actually managed to read it in full! (I know long e-mails aren't too common these days...)"

4) April 22nd, 11', Whitehorse - Dawson City - Eagle Plaines - MacPherson - Inuvik - Tuktoyatuk:

The speed limit on the Mackenzie Ice River Highway from Inuvik to Aklavik and Tuktoyuktuk is 90km/hr. Most locals here ripped past our cautious 60-80km/hr at a "comfortable" 120km/hr yesterday on our way to Tuk. Intimidating, considering we were driving on pure ice! About 100km from Tuk, the road suddenly ended and we had to wait for 90minutes with a bunch of locals for the grater to finish clearing the road. They had a snow storm with high winds earlier this week that filled in the road and they weren't able to finish clearing it until yesterday. It was important for them to clear it, because Tuk hosted an open class sled race in their harbour that many people wanted to get to. When we got there, the men were about 3/4 of the way through their 29 laps (100miles) of the Formula 1 style race. I realized that the locals have a true passion for speed when I sat with Chris on the edge of the course and the first few sleds whizzed past us at 160km an hour, many leaning on one ski past our corner just a few feet from where we sat! The women's race started a little later in the evening and they had to do 75miles. The temperature dropped from -10 to -20 by the time they finished their race! Boy they're tough!

After my last e-mail, Chris and I drove to Dawson City, a mining town of historic false-fronted buildings linked by boardwalks. Dawson City was our last stop before entering the foreboding Dempster Highway. This is the highway where you're warned to carry two spare tires (we have one, and we're driving on brand new tires), to carry jerry cans, and to gas up at every stop possible. We didn't have any problems, fortunately, and made it to Inuvik in two days of driving. Since we have arrived, we have found that we're driving the oldest vehicle in town by a good 15-20 years (our Toyota is a '91)!

The highway is simply a raised gravel strip, sometimes used as an emergency airstrip, buit on perma-frost. The vegetation is limited to black spruce, white spruce, willow, birch, and tundra. The black spruce grows in the poorest conditions, and the other trees can only grow near water where more soil has been deposited on top of the permafrost. For this reason, the black spruce is often "drunk" because it can't root very deeply and falls over and becomes contorted as it tries to straiten and reach for the sun. Chris and I were surprised to find forests growing as far north as about 100km south of Tuk because the Mackenzie Delta provides better growing conditions for the trees.

The landscape here is broad and open. The sky is huge and you can see for many kilometres. As we were driving up, we enjoyed spotting the mountain ranges glittering on the horizon hundreds of kilometres away. We crossed the Ogilvie Range (which incudes Tombstone Park) and the Richardson Range, and we saw some (probably?) big Alaskan mountains far off in the West. All very beautiful mountains, but too bare for skiing, and super rockey & faceted (=sugar snow). We might do a lap in Tombstone on our way home, just to say we did, if we have the time!

Speaking of skiing, Chris skied a Pingo today! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pingo) I also towed him for about 20km at 60km/hr on the ice highway. After finishing being towed, Chris said "Ski-touring should be this easy!"

Last edited:

allochris

Adventurer
For those who are interested in gas price:

Gas Prices (April 5-22)

Tuktoyuktuk 1.47 (April 22)
Inuvik 1.68
Fort McPherson 1.60
Eagle Plains Hotel 1.55
Dawson City 1.47
Whitehorse 1.30
Teslin 1.30
Watson Lake 1.31
Deese Lake 1.50
Bell 2 1.45
Hazelton 1.20 (April 5)

We are now on our way south!

allochris

Adventurer
We just made it all the way back to Smithers after 4 days of driving from Inuvik. We managed to catch the Dawson International film festival, quick visit with a skiing friend in Whitehorse, camping in beautiful Atlin, & checking out Kitangow historial village just north of Kitwanga.

Unfortunately & surprisingly, I suspected we've been driving with a blowing headgasket at cyl #4 since we were on our way back across the Richarson mountains. The exhaust & coolant temp looks normal while driving. Although as soon as I restart engine after turning off engine (ie. gas-up, quick stop), lots of white smoke comes out of the exhaust but it eventually gets burn off w/in 1 min or so.

Coolant Temp looks normal still, but I do hear bubbling from the expansion tube into the expansion tank. It's been drinking coolant too. Oil cap is now suspended with milky shake deposit, & spark plug #4 is in fact...wet!

Now my question is, can I keep driving it another 2 days to Princeton (at normal coolant temp) & hope that the headgasket don't completely give up & let all the coolant rushing into cyl #4.?

If so, should I unplug sparkplug wire #4 to disable cyl #4, or just keep cyl #4 running to burn off the excess coolant?

Billhilly

Adventurer
Just talked to a guy I know who has been a mechanic his entire life. We have the same motor down here too. So yes, either blown head gasket, or cracked cylinder head. Don't remove the spark plug. You can drive it, but just be gentle. There is no guarantee, yes it could get worse, but it is a Toyota!
Keep an eye on the temp levels. If it gets hot, just stop and let it cool down and top the water up (carry lots!). And keep an eye on the oil as well. So sludgy on the oil cap but the oil is still oil coloured aye?

I would add, just be careful starting it first thing in the morning. If it was getting real bad (leaking into the cylinder) that could be a real bad thing as you crank it over, so if it showed any signs of resistance to starting, stop! Remove the plug and then wind it over. I would actually (carefully) check the water level in the radiator itself just to make sure. I burst a heater hose in an old Toyota I had (actually saw all the steam pour out the back of the car) but the temp gauge didn't move so I continued driving to the nearest town. At the gas station pouring water in wondering where it is all going, then notice it was running past my feet! Temp qauge won't work when there is no water at all! Take it easy.

Last edited:

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
if the oil is turning milky that's a bad sign. Pop into a mechanic in Smithers and get them to take a look. If you cant afford to fix it there and want to limp it home, at least change the oil to give a bit more protection in the engine while you are driving home.

allochris

Adventurer
Thanks a lot, luckily Smithers is my truck's temporary home so I don't nessaryly have to limp elsewhere really.

I'm thinking of just simply leaving the truck stored here at least the next 2 months until I finish work down south by early July. If I get time in July between contracts I would sure hope to put another 22re in, either off some junkyards or a reman? With increasing diesel price, I don't see a point in diesel conversion anymore unless I'm running WVO or running a half-cut D4D ($$$).

Oil from dip stick are actual oil colour, only oil cap are milk shake. I did pop the plug out just to see how much water shoots out after initial cranking with plug in & firing. & yes it's an decent amount as I've been adding about 4L water to the rad since Kitwanga, last 134km. Water level was well below the top fins row.

Thanks for the tips about the coolant sensor not able to send coolant temp if there's no coolant btw.

Anyway, if any of you have some suggestion/contact please don't hesitate to let me know? Whether another 22re (my preference) or rebuild?

-Chris

Btw, we finally skied the 7000' of Hudson Bay Mountain this morning in Smithers! We hit it perfectly with good timing with the clouds rolling in from the west & softening melt-freeze crust. It's spring time!

(Pic is off the internet & there's actually way more snow all the way down to the bottom of avy path...)
hudsonbay.jpg

Last edited:

Billhilly

Adventurer
Good that you don't have to drive another 1000k. Sounds like you have a fairly decent leak/crack going on. Can't see a diesel being worth it. That would require diff ratio changes etc would it? If you have a little time on your side you could keep an eye out on Criagslist etc. Might find something second hand for the right money. Do you know any good mechanics in Smithers?

So with something like Hudson Bay Mountain, what altitude (where did) you drive to/park at. And then how many hours of climb time, and then how many hours of ski time (back to where)? Oh, and where are the pictures!

allochris

Adventurer
If you have a little time on your side you could keep an eye out on Criagslist etc. Might find something second hand for the right money. Do you know any good mechanics in Smithers?

I've been checking out car-part.com today & will pop by a junkyard next week in Prince George to check out their toyota selection. As for mechanic in Smithers, i actually have no idea since I don't live here (my stuff do though!). If I go for another 22re, I'll just do everything myself as I imagine it will a relatively straightforward swap.

So with something like Hudson Bay Mountain, what altitude (where did) you drive to/park at. And then how many hours of climb time, and then how many hours of ski time (back to where)? Oh, and where are the pictures!

7000: (excerpt from John Baldwin "Exploring the Coast Mtns on Skis")
Elevation gain : 1400m
Start (ski hill parking lot): 1500m
From ski hill, ski up S ridge of Hudson Bay Mtn, continue to the last flat portion of ridge at 2350m, then ski down a ramp into Simpson Cr for 500m verticle drop, then head up N into the col btwn Kathlyn Pk & a peak W of it. At the summit of Kathlyn Pk (aka: 5000), ski 1700m down the Glacier Gulch Rd.

We had 2 cars, so we park 1 at Glacier Gulch & drove another up the hill. We started skinning at 7am & skied down the 1st 2000ft by 10am, bootpacked up to Kathlyn Peak (2350m) on the 2nd climb by 11am, then skied down to our other car at 12pm. 5hrs mission car to car. 5 of us were hauling, but we had a 20mins break in btwn ski. It's a scenic descent over-looking the Bulkley Valley with a consistant 30-35 degree pitch. Snow warmed up significantly half way down the alpine, not to mention the heavy isothermic snow mush below treeline at this time of year.

Pics will come as I still have to sit down & start looking though them!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner