Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

Glad to hear no one was injured and that your vehicle is still running. How many miles/kilos do you have on your rig now??

Dale

Adventurer
I am in the design phase of my camper build and considering a side hinge panel top with folding solid sides like yours OR an Alaskan style pop up. I prefer your style due to its simplicity and not having to configure a system to raise an Alaskan style roof. I plan on this being a three season camper; late fall, dead of winter and early spring. How well does your configuration keep out rain and strong wind? Do you have issues with water melting on your gear when the ice covered side panels are folded in? I figured you have run your camper through the ringer by now and maybe have some suggestions if you were to rebuild. thank you for any insight.

allochris

Adventurer
It's been snowing tons lately in Revelstoke & we skied lots of lines at Rogers Pass lately. Now we're near Naskups hot-springing on down days.....I spotted 2 more 80's Toyota Chinook Campers today in Naskups. One is a 4wd & the other is a 2wd. Pics coming soon~! :sombrero:

DSCF3261.jpg

DSCF3264.jpg

mangymarmot: Yes thank god no one was injured. Truck mileage: 376000km!!!

Dale: When I uninstall my removable panels, I actually wipe them clean b4 putting them away since they are always covered with dirt & mud & salt from driving in the winter road. The panel setup are surprisingly wind resistant, surely up to 60km/hr wind since I do drive with it setup in town. As for the vibration, I do only drive on smooth road with the top up.

Last edited:

allochris

Adventurer
After all the snow, we've been hit w/ high pressure system last whole week. With the alpine avalanche danger on the moderate side, lots of bigger alpine lines have been skied lately under bluebird days...

North Face of Mt Green:
DSCF3364.jpg

DSCF3389.jpg

DSCF3399.jpg

DSCF3405.jpg

DSCF3408.jpg

DSCF3413.jpg

Billhilly

Adventurer
As always just really jealous! Great photos as usual. Was talking to my buddy in Invermere just last week (he's a Paramedic there). Looks like you've been having some nice days.
Can't believe you (and the truck) came away from that Prince George crash with hardly a scratch! Obviously don't need to tell you, but have fun!

(Me having lunch by one of the avalanche tunnels in Rodgers Pass. Mar. 05).

Attachments

• image002.JPG
    image002.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 78

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
I don't know, it could be anything really.

All I really what is:

-diesel with great gas mileage for LONG distance travel
-bio-diesel convertible
-cheap to swap
-cheap & great parts availability

Other suggestion?

Hello Allochris...I saw that you were looking at putting a diesel in your truck...I am also thinking about doing the same with mine...I'm Planning a Mercedes 5 cylinder 617 turbo diesel engine...It is a very basic swap if you get it out of the older pre 1985 mercedes diesels. This was before they had Engine computers so it makes for a very easy swap...Good HP...Good Torque and Good for lond distance travelling...They run smooth and quiet...Just thought I'd let you know...When I start mine in the next year Ill put some pics up of the swap

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
sorry I have some things mixed up...I believe that the mercedes 617 is in fact not a turbo...I do know that the motor I do want is the Mercedes 5 cly turbo diesel that they put in their cars...Just thought I should clarify

allochris

Adventurer
Cool vanisl4runner, I will keep an eye out following your swap in the near future. My 377xxx km 22re piston rings are burning 1L oil / 1000km now a days. I can't wait until summer to figure out what my next step of action is going to be... Diesel would be sweet!

Oh, btw, we left Revelstoke a week ago heading south into the Kootenies. We skied up Mt Brennan near Retallack for some amazingly deep tree skiing for 2 days, following by a day at Whitewater backcountry & 2 days of tree skiing awesomeness at the Kootenay Pass.

We are now in Nelson thinking of heading towards Kootenay National Pass just south of Castle Junction for some burnt forest skiing. We might swing by Banff/Canmore to visit friends & head west thru Kicking Horse Pass for more skiing at Rogers Pass before heading to the coast next week.

8cm fresh overnight....gotta go!

Last edited:

1stgenoverland

Adventurer
Yup the swap will happen hopefully this fall. The old mercedes cars with the correct motor can be picked up in good running order for around 500-900 bucks...So pretty cheap for a good motor. I havent noticed any burning in my 22re. It has 389,xxx and counting. Runs smooth and always reliable...Didnt start one day though but that was a hoky wiring issue from the last owner. There is a company that makes the adapter plate for the swap and sells a proper fly wheel to bolt onto the mercedes engine. The kit is designed to use the toyota starter and 5 speed transmission. Everything else though, like where you want to mount everthing, is up to you. I plan on doing it so that it looks like the 1985 toyota 4runner came with the 5 cylinder Mercedes turbo diesel from the factory. Hey sounds like some good travelling your up too...If your pulling through Kelowna send me and email from here...I'd like to see your rig to get some ideas for my next one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner