Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Really great build thread Chris, I enjoyed reading through it!

I'm curious about the route you took though...
It seems like you went north of the Great Lakes back and forth between TO and BC correct?
I've travelled between Windsor and Edmonton several times myself, and if you cut through the U.S. it seems to save about 12 hours worth of driving. From TO to Windsor it's 4-ish hours, but you'd still save about 8 hours worth of driving, plus gas is much cheaper in the U.S.

allochris

Adventurer
oh i know about the shortcut thru the states. it's just that i didn't feel like passing thru the states & back with my camper packed with 8 months personal belongings & get searched at the customs on both sides....that's why.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
oh i know about the shortcut thru the states. it's just that i didn't feel like passing thru the states & back with my camper packed with 8 months personal belongings & get searched at the customs on both sides....that's why.

I wasn't sure if that was in your mind or not, but I do understand.
I've driven between Windsor and Edmonton a few times now and it is a hassle almost every time I go through the border, because I always have a significant amount of gear with me.
Last time getting through the Detroit side, I had to explain to the brder guard what my camp stove was for, it went like this:

Border Guard: Can you open up these boxes on the back. (This was not a question...)
Me: Sure. Do you want me to pull off to the side so I don't hold up the rest of the line of cars?
BG: No, they can wait.
I unstrap the action packers on the hitch rack, and open the boxes.
He rifles through some of the stuff, stops at the camp stove, and points...
BG: What is that?
Me: It's a camping stove. (I open the lid.)
BG: What is it for?
Me: (In my mind I'm slapping my forehead with the palm of my hand and internally rolling my eyes...) I use it for cooking food when I'm camping...
BG: Ok. You can close everything up now.

I have had issues on both sides of the CAN/US border, but I tend to get hassled more on the US side. Ah well, pretty hard to avoid borders legally with our passion for travel. :)

EuroJoe

Adventurer
my favourite border guard question is;

him - what do you do?

me - I'm an engineer,

him - can you prove it?

me - no

him - ok carry on

back to the awesome build!

allochris

Adventurer
So my gf & I already have been in Revelstoke for a month now. About 2 weeks ago my original Aisin water pump finally gave up too at 365722km! Luckily only after 3 down days at a friend's home garage, the engine was running again. Due to the recent lack of fresh snow, we are contemplating on traveling to Vancouver island to pickup & fix up our stolen nissan pathfinder from last September. Hopefully we can squeeze in some backcountry skiing on the Duffey Lake Road area in the coast mountains, through the crazy Sea-2-Sky Hwy with the Olympics in Whistler, to Squamish and Horseshoe Bay, & off we go on the BC ferry.

Some Pics in Revelstoke:
DSCF7856.jpg

DSCF7857.jpg

DSCF7858.jpg

DSCF7859.jpg

PB260355.jpg

PB260351.jpg

19848_313068371067_595486067_5050362_3835992_n.jpg

PB260357.jpg

19848_313068386067_595486067_5050363_2389651_n.jpg

19848_313068401067_595486067_5050364_7238795_n.jpg

Last edited:

dentedvw

Wire twister
I believe I recognize that white fiberglass shelled Ford bus from another forum. I think it's for sale soon. :sombrero:

Skoolie.net, IIRC.

PB190151.jpg

mikes350

Nice build up , I'm in Revy and planning a camper for my tundra now, think i could have a peek at yours . if your still around that is

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Man, this is one amazing, inspiring, jaw dropping thread

First I was amazed you were building it in the snow at the very start. Then I notice you build almost the entire thing in the snow multiple times and do it in record time.

When people are using excuses about money, time and weather affecting their travel agenda, here you have Chris who goes out no matter what the weather it, builds one of the sweetest Home Made campers I've seen in years and does it all for net to nothing and again, in record time

You my friend are one true Overlander:Wow1: Keep it Up!!

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
For lack of a better term, I sort of used this thread as inspiration to "man-up" and actually work on my Cherokee in my un-insulated, un-heated garage a couple of times in the last month.
It's been below freezing, but I figured if a guy can build a camper in an open lot, surely I can do some work on my Jeep inside my garage!

P.S. The Jeep has been in there for 2.5 years... ughhh.....

allochris

Adventurer
I believe I recognize that white fiberglass shelled Ford bus from another forum. I think it's for sale soon. :sombrero:

Skoolie.net, IIRC.

PB190151.jpg

i am so jealous of their woodstove setup....There's no other better way to suck up all the moisture from the interiour + the ability to dry off any wet ski boots/ clothings....

allochris

Adventurer
Nice build up , I'm in Revy and planning a camper for my tundra now, think i could have a peek at yours . if your still around that is

let me know where u are at so i can swing by when i'm back in town. we're on the island recovering my gf's nissan right now. we should be back within 1-2 wks.

allochris

Adventurer
So we took off from Revelstoke & was on our way to Vancouver Island. Did a stop at the Coquihalla Summit for a ski tour & continued on to the island to retrieve our other stolen truck.

Hwy 5 Coquihalla Summit:
PC090044.jpg

PC090065.jpg

PC090073.jpg

Last couple days we drove up to North Island to ski tour at Mt. Cain. This ski hill opens only Fri-Sun so we had the whole mountain for ourselves for a couple days...To top it off the stormy weather died off the 1st afternoon we arrived & we sure had some good turns in the adjacent backcountry area.

Mt Cain:
PC170041.jpg

PC170186.jpg

PC190385.jpg

PC190393.jpg

PC170196.jpg

PC170159.jpg

PC170156.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members