Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

dustboy

Explorer
Those are REAL mountains! Nice pix. Curious to see what you find on Van Island, I was there last summer.

I've been following your build, my truck is turning out along similar lines so far, at least the flatbed aspect.

allochris

Adventurer
It has been a couple weeks since I last came on line. After we left Vancouver Island with the recovered Nissan, we took the ferry back over to the mainland & was skiing mainly in Squamish/Whistler/Pemberton/Duffy Lake Road for a couple weeks. On our way back to Revelstoke just last week my toy just hit 370000km!!!

DSCF8558.jpg

After a few days of skiing/climbing/hot-springing in Revelstoke, my camper is now back to Kamloops parked for the next 3 weeks while we are using the Nissan to explore northern BC for the next 2 weeks. Plans are Smithers/Terrace/Stewart/Hyder. Hopefully we'll have enough time before I have to bus down south to pick up my truck for reforestation work this spring.

allochris

Adventurer
When mid-april came I had to travel all the way south to Princeton for another spring tree-planting season.

DSCF0063.jpg

DSCF0072.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

DSCF0346.jpg

And of course being within the Okanagan radius, many antiques or imports can be seen easily on the road these days...

DSCF0267.jpg

DSCF0256.jpg

DSCF0283.jpg

Billhilly

Adventurer
Hey Chris,
Been watching your build over the last couple of years and have been really enjoying the photos of your build, and travels you've been posting. You have finally prompted me to join up here. I have really admired the way you (and your partner) have 'got it done'! You have built a camper from scratch, run up tens of thousands of kilometers, taken in some incredible scenery, and done some amazing hiking trips. In a couple of decades you won't have to worry about wishing you had got out and visited some of the great places in your country. The recent photos from Northern BC are great. Some great scenery, and real soul food.
Very briefly, I spent three years in BC in the late eighties, early nineties based east of Kelowna up Highway 33. I worked building log homes and met a great and diverse group of people. This group that was based in the Okanagen, now live all over BC from Creston in the south, to Smithers in the North. I have been lucky enough to visit Smithers three times, the last time in '05. As stated I have watched your build, and travels, but I got a kick out of the photos and map of your Babine Traverse. My friends from Smithers live right at the top of Driftwood Road east of Smithers. (Not sure if you started there or Smithers Landing Road). Anyway I think the internet is great. I can sit here in rural New Zealand and veiw your photos of places I have been! Only ever did a short hike in that area in late '98 when I was visiting. First photo is fall of '98, second is the veiw of the Telkwa's from my friends place, was Spring '05.
Hope your summer is going well. Things will be warming up in the Okanagen I guess! Thanks again for the great photos. My goal before this decade is up is to get back on Canadian soil and do a road trip from Vancouver to Prudhoe Bay, via Smithers and the Cassiar Highway. Gotta have dreams!
Have a good one!

Bill.

Attachments

• CWJ0043 (Small).jpg
    CWJ0043 (Small).jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC01643 (Small).JPG
    DSC01643 (Small).JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 182

allochris

Adventurer
'chris -

I think you did an amazing job on your camper build. It looks outstanding. Love the aerodynamic shape of the roof, great design. I've seen the various build stages your truck has gone through, from the red sled, to camo to camper. Many thoughtful hours and hands on fabrication. Just great, great stuff.

Congrats again on such a well designed and well crafted build! :clapsmile

just dug up some old pictures of the red sled to camo lol...

allochris

Adventurer
So ....wow, winter is back! I guess I gotta do something about this...
DSCF2707.jpg

After packing it up w/ ski touring gear & off we went south-bound from Smithers. We did ended up with a very lucky accident just south of Prince George. (Slid off the hwy on compact glazed ice into the ditch of opposite traffic, & luckily managed avoid oncoming traffic & flipped the whole truck forward onto its roof doing a front flip upon impact into snow bank. Luckily, we had zero injury & truck & camper has zero damage, other than a messy cab & camper with stuff everywhere!)

(Finally upload these 2 pics off my cell phone:)

towa.jpg

tow2.jpg

After relaxing for a day, we continued heading south thry the Duffy Lake Rd. (Hwy 99) towards Vancouver to pick up new tires. I'm going up 1" from 33x9.5 to 33x10.5r15 bfg at this time.
DSCF2732.jpg

Vancouver Chinatown:
DSCF2733.jpg

Duffy Lk Rd.:
DSCF2737.jpg

DSCF2736.jpg

DSCF2728.jpg

Last edited:

stomperxj

Explorer
Great pictures.... No leaks or anything yet? After 2 winters how is the overall structure holding up?

Nice camper :)

Jess

allochris

Adventurer
Great pictures.... No leaks or anything yet? After 2 winters how is the overall structure holding up?

Nice camper :)

Jess

The truck was sitting upside down on the snow for 3hrs. No leak at all, except just a little of brake fluid sipped thru the rubber cap. I had a redtop starting battery & it seems like my spare marine (liquid) battery also didn't leak much since it's working just fine.

The camper structure is holding well after the crash! I really didn't expect it to survive a roll-over at all. Luckily it happened in snow! :Wow1:

Mc Taco

American Adventurist
Wow! Glad to hear that you guys are all okay. And the truck survived too.

Those are some epic pictures! Thank you for posting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner