Adventurer
DSCF7586.jpg
DSCF7591.jpg
DSCF7597.jpg
DSCF7601.jpg
DSCF7602.jpg

allochris

Adventurer
just a quick update. it's has been a wk or 2 since i last posted. i drove 4500km westbound from toronto to revelstoke for the ski season. Once again no problem with the truck now at 365xxxkm! (despite the heater is not so warm at -30c in Regina, SK). Anyway, it has been raining here in town & the camper is sealling pretty well despite all the joints. The only problem i did not forsee is condensation especially with 2 people living the camper! The heater is working very well, so is the spare battery, coleman stove all plumb to a 20lbs propane tank. I even manage to drive the camper with the panel up daily up to 50km/hr in the city street. the cops didn't bother me at all, so i figure i'm saved for now. Just gotta take it easy on bumpy road due to vibration. gotta go now, pictures with come soon.

allochris

Adventurer
3rd Drive out across Canada!

Toronto, ON - Revelstoke, BC: 3990KM (3 days)

Total Weight: 2650KG (5768Lbs)
-Front Axle: 1240KG
-Rear Axle: 1410KG

Overweight: 2650KG - 2427KG = 223KG (490Lbs)

Gas Mileage:
Best: 10.49L/KM
Worst: 16.12L/100KM
Average: 13.19L/100KM

Oil Consumption:
Oil Stick from Full to Low: ~1000km

Temperatures:
+8c to -30c

Gas Price:
89 octane: from $1.03/L to $1.10/L

Ontario:
DSCF7773.jpg

Manitoba:
DSCF7794.jpg

DSCF7795.jpg

Saskatchewan:
DSCF7807.jpg

DSCF7817.jpg

DSCF7825.jpg

DSCF7827.jpg

Alberta:
DSCF7834.jpg

DSCF7835.jpg

DSCF7838.jpg

Last edited:
sorry for not being able to tune in with the news on the camper.

Since last update i left montreal to Toronto and just barely finished up the camper in a week time with my dad. we were quite skepticle about the roof raising mechanism as we built it but at the end we got it dial on the same day of my departure! my roof weights 95lbs & it supports my weight on top & me(150lbs) hanging under it too when it's pop-up! The whole camper shell/roof/bench weight about 550lbs.

I did take the rest of the construction pictures but unfortunetly i don't have them with me on the road to showjust yet.

Last monday night i finally packed up the truck and left toronto @ 11pm. The drive out across canada from toronto to vancouver was quite a trip. we were 2 people, 100lbs dog
, gear packed truck/camper, 220lbs ish furnisher to deliver, and a 22 foot long sailboat/trailer (650lbs).

CIMG7573.jpg

With about half a tank (36L ish), weigh station scale showed 1090kg front axle, 1600kg rear axle, and 240kg trailer axle. Front tires @ 38psi, rear @ 48psi.

The gvwr is 2425kg, does that mean i over loaded my truck?

Driving against the strong head winds btwn regina/medicine hat was quite a feat! With an old 325xxxkm 22re pulling a 6000lbs truck & sailboat, it was pretty much 85-90km/h in 4th gear everytime uphill is involved.

Going into the rockies wasn't hard actually, as it turns out that calgary is kind of higher than the base of the rockies mtns.

Is that an Albacore in the photo? I thought most Albacores were in Ottawa or Toronto?

Bella PSD

Explorer
Great thread - thanks for posting! I'm curious where & how the condensation occurs - I assume it's on the metal frame parts that stay cold because of a thermal bridge to the outside - but maybe everywhere in that climate? What's your heating & ventilation Anyway I be interested in more details if you have the time, Thanks. Peter

Me too!

Thanks
Louie

fisher205

Explorer
Using a catalytic heater and propane stove they put out moisture and CO. A direct vent furnace will help eliminate that. I had a Wave heater like Chris' in my Alaskan and had condensation problems. I went with an Atwood Everest now. It uses more electric for the fan and is a lot noisier than the Wave. My Alaskan originally had a outside vent catalytic heater but I couldn't find replacement parts. They are out there but hard to find.
Brad

allochris

Adventurer
Thanks for the questions!

Most of my condensation is not actually coming from the heater since I don't even turn it on at night. (Not cold enough outside!) It occurs pretty much whenever my gf & I are inside.

As my roof has some exposed metal structure acting as thermal bridge from outside to inside, there's 1 of the places where water droplet starts forming. When it's cold enough, it also freezes too!

Second, condensation occurs where the frame Al square tubings are sandwiched between my Al siding & inside plywood. Next time, I would spray fill all the frame tubings after the welding process to eliminate this occurance. Since houses also have a layer of vapor barrier, I would also add a layer between my 1.5" foam & inside plywood.

As for when the pop-top is setup, condensation occurs along the top & bottom of the panels. This is also where the close-cell foam seal are located at the joint between the top of the panel & the bottom of the roof frame, as well as the bottom of the panel & the top of the camper shell.

Condensation also occurs on the Al u-channels that are used to butt-joint the panel together, since AL has zero insulation properties.

For ventilation, I have 2 windows, two 3" vent (1 of these has a computer fan build-in for exhaust).

Overall, the condensation is manageable with a rag to wipe off the buildup condensation. I have never camped in a real camper either in zero to -10c weather, I wonder how those camper get wet inside, or inside the walls...

I'll post some pics later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner