Allochris's ultimate buildup thread!!!

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Trying to find some of the relevant links but let me put it this way there is a line in the owners manual on my Suburban that if I run 10W40 they will void the warranty. :yikes: GM feels that strong about the oil.

What the deal is there is really two main base viscosities for engine oils. As I recall it is 10 or 20 and 50. To make a multi viscosity oil they add thinner agents to the 50 to make a 20w50 and for the thinner oils they add a thickening agent (mostly Paraffin wax) to make the 10w40. To get that 40 they have to add a LOT of paraffin. When the oil gets burned by blow by at the rings if makes a hard residue and it starts to collect in the ring grooves and jams the rings making the blow by worse.

The 5w30 you are running is probably helping clean it out. Might want to run a flush next oil change and go to a 10w30 or a 20w50 or even a synthetic. Synthetic 10W40 is usually ok because they can formulate the viscosity without using the paraffin.

On the throttle surge you might have some deposits around the butter fly that needs to be cleaned out. The brake peddle also sends a signal to the ECM. When the ECM see's the brakes and the throttle IDL both closed it goes into a fuel cut mode to prevent deceleration back fires. If the RPM's are over 900-950 it puts the ECM into a conflict and causes the idle surge.

Toyota's PVC design sort of sucks and with the oil you were running and burning all the oil vapors get run through the intake and make a residue that gums up the throttle and sometimes doesn't let the throttle fully close. In fact I need to clean mine out this weekend for this exact problem from the 5w30 the local dealer put in mine despite me asking for 10w30. You might have the TPS adjusted down enough that even though the throttle is slightly propped open it may still be closed enough to trip the IDL circuit and put it into conflict. Also a worn out throttle shaft amy also cause it to hang. :(

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml is how to check and adjust the TPS.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
'chris -

I think you did an amazing job on your camper build. It looks outstanding. Love the aerodynamic shape of the roof, great design. I've seen the various build stages your truck has gone through, from the red sled, to camo to camper. Many thoughtful hours and hands on fabrication. Just great, great stuff.

Congrats again on such a well designed and well crafted build! :clapsmile

allochris

Adventurer
here u go, pictures of the week long construction thanks to the help of my dad and mom.

CIMG1223.jpg

CIMG1352.jpg

CIMG1477.jpg

CIMG1484.jpg

CIMG1450.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
You are quite the builder! What an accomplishment and in a relatively short period of time too. :)

Bella PSD

Explorer
Very cool build. I am very happy to see someone else building his own camper. I started my camper build about the same time in March. I am building the inside now. Also finishing some of the outside as I go. I have been interrupted several times this summer camping in it. But that’s a good thing....And I have been interrupted building a military trailer with a roof top tent. My camper is slow go but its getting done.

Are you going to use a 12V fridge?
What about a porta potty?
Gray water tank for the sink?
What about heat for winter camping? (propane)
How are you finishing the floor off?

Keep it coming….looks awesome!

Louie

Clutch

<---Pass
Allochris:

If you don't mind me asking, how much money do you have into your camper? Any estimates on how much it weighs? Just the shell, without the interior goodies.

Thanks

Kermit

allochris

Adventurer
wow, it's been one busy summer i haven't had to chance to get near a computer! currently involved in rebuild a house back in Toronto...

anyway, long story short...I've put in about $2500 into material alone, but that's both flat-deck & camper. & oh, price in Canadian of course.

Big items are:
-Aluminum tubing for Camper (670)
-Flat-Deck/rear bumper/tow-bar/tail lights (350)
-Complete Auxillary battery setup (170)

Others are:
-Al sidings (125)
-1.5" foam (50)
-plywood (200)
-windows 2x (80)
-access doors 2x (50)
-water pump (40)
-electrical & hardware (too much to list...)
-welding supply (tungsten/AL rod/gas/cutting disc...) (200)

The camper is now finished for summer use only. My budget is $3000 so i have $500 left to winterize & completely finish it up with a bottom floor.

Weight! it's pretty decent, in the 500-600lbs range, including all windows/doors/bench/table/sink/100lbs roof (oops)...

I'm about 4136lbs with empty flat deck, and 5192lbs loaded with gear in the camper + a 400lbs trailer hooked up to it. Gas mileage with my 334xxxkm old 22re, 4.88, 5spd, 33x9.5 tires is: flat-deck only (11.5L/100km) & camper loaded (12.5L/100km)

Clutch

<---Pass
Not bad at all, about half a Four Wheel Camper shell. Looks like you have more space too, since it is on a flat bed.

Very cool, nice work.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Hey good to see you post up again. I was wondering about you the other day and wondering how your travels were going. Keep it up!

allochris

Adventurer
Bella psd, you have to show us your progress!!!

My travel had ended since last August working in Toronto. I've been back in school since september in montreal. hopefully i'll find time again to finish up the winterization of the camper before the snow comes! I'll show you guys couple pics of the camper standing on its own legs parked at my parent's driveway in Toronto!!!

Thanks!
-chris

Bella PSD

Explorer
Chris,

Not much in the last month. Mostly planning the inside. I really need to get the money together for a 12V fridge to build the inside around. The rear fiberglass is getting $$$ and alot of time but will be very strong. Also starting on moving my spare tire to the rear bumper.(building a swing out) I I do not think I will beat the snow!!! I was hoping for some winter camping.:(

Love to see pictures on its legs!!

Louie

allochris said:
Bella psd, you have to show us your progress!!!

My travel had ended since last August working in Toronto. I've been back in school since september in montreal. hopefully i'll find time again to finish up the winterization of the camper before the snow comes! I'll show you guys couple pics of the camper standing on its own legs parked at my parent's driveway in Toronto!!!

Thanks!
-chris

allochris

Adventurer
Here are some pictures of the camper on its legs that i promised a long long time ago. In fact, i've put the camper back on the truck yesterday for the winter.

P1110086.jpg

P1110084.jpg

P1110083.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.

-chris:26_7_2:

Last edited:

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Mine used to do that when the coolant was low. Check that too.

The Idled flakes when brakes applied? Base idle is set too high. Adjust it down to 800 RPM and it should fix that. That's the screw right on the top of the throttle body. Don't mess with the linkage stops that will screw up the TPS setting. The screw in the top of the throttle body is a air bypass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coast runner