Alone with my thoughts...SE Utah Solo in December

Moody

Needs to get out more
Thanks Mark. I truly hope what I write is encouraging people to go out and 'get at it' more. I am confident that people would be less egotistical, selfish and outright rude if they spent more time away from it all, experiencing the natural world. For me, it is like going home to Mom and Dad's place...

haulindave

Observer
Quote,Thank you. I appreciate that. I haven't done much in the way of trip reports for awhile, as it seemed that people weren't reading much of them anymore. Moody

Yet the ones who do would be severely disappointed if no one took the time to share their tales anymore. ExPo would be a much lesser place if trip reports faded away.[/QUOTE]Haggis

I agree:iagree:

Thanks for the report , great pics and story .

P.S. was wondering the first pic in your report was of a couple skeletons , do you think they were cattle rustlers ? I found 3 in one spot on our trip to the North Rim that I thought might have been rustlers . Vegas-GrandCanyonTrip653.jpg
Here's a pic of 1 of them , they were all within 15 feet of each other .:Wow1:

Doc Foster

Adventurer
Thank you. I appreciate that. I haven't sone much in the way of trip reports for awhile, as it seemed that people weren't reading much of them anymore.

I thoroughly enjoyed your writings and the pics. Please keep them coming with your travels. The last time I visited Hovenweep it was on a brutally hot August day, but still a beautiful place.
Care to share specifics about the location near Comb Ridge? I am heading there this summer in search of Petroglyphs, Ruins and Solitude. Thanks.

Moody

Needs to get out more
Quote,Thank you. I appreciate that. I haven't done much in the way of trip reports for awhile, as it seemed that people weren't reading much of them anymore. Moody

Yet the ones who do would be severely disappointed if no one took the time to share their tales anymore. ExPo would be a much lesser place if trip reports faded away.
Haggis

P.S. was wondering the first pic in your report was of a couple skeletons , do you think they were cattle rustlers ? I found 3 in one spot on our trip to the North Rim that I thought might have been rustlers . View attachment 84897
Here's a pic of 1 of them , they were all within 15 feet of each other .:Wow1:[/QUOTE]

I actually don't know what the skeletons were. I just found it intriguing that they were positioned so close to one another, and then with the different animal tracks all around them it caught my eye.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I haven't sone much in the way of trip reports for awhile, as it seemed that people weren't reading much of them anymore.

I thoroughly enjoyed your writings and the pics. Please keep them coming with your travels. The last time I visited Hovenweep it was on a brutally hot August day, but still a beautiful place.
Care to share specifics about the location near Comb Ridge? I am heading there this summer in search of Petroglyphs, Ruins and Solitude. Thanks.

Comb Ridge is a magical place. I highly recommend you get the Hiking Guide to Cedar Mesa. It can be found on Amazon. It won't give you specifics, but get you awfully close to some of the more popular ruins in the area. Check in at the Recapture Lodge, the owner there is more than willing to chat with you about some neat places.

Ideally, you want to park your car at the head of a canyon, and work your way down. People will pick you up if you hitch hike back to your car. I'll PM you with some specifics.

mph

Expedition Leader
Nice report. How was the snow on the mesa roads?

Might be headed there in few weeks if interested

Cheers
mike

Moody

Needs to get out more
Roads were snowy, but with no more than 4-6" it was fine. The lower areas only had snow in shaded areas. Let me know when you go.

roverrocks

Expedition Leader

Yet the ones who do would be severely disappointed if no one took the time to share their tales anymore. ExPo would be a much lesser place if trip reports faded away.
Haggis

P.S. was wondering the first pic in your report was of a couple skeletons , do you think they were cattle rustlers ? I found 3 in one spot on our trip to the North Rim that I thought might have been rustlers . View attachment 84897
Here's a pic of 1 of them , they were all within 15 feet of each other .:Wow1:[/QUOTE] I am thinking the 3 died of a lightening strike possibly. My father was a rancher in the Nebraska Panhandle and he related to me an incident back in the 30's when he and his father had lost over a dozen head to a lightening strike as a small herd was grazing on a prairie knoll. They did not see the lightening strike but rather found them the next day or so after intense thunderstorms had passed over the area. We also used to loose a few head to beef rustlers but always one at a time with never more than one taken at a time. One would come upon a pile of guts on the prairie with little else where the beef rustlers had killed and butchered the animal and take everything with them but the guts. We weren't that all that far from the Reservations in South Dakota and my dad always theorized the Indians butchered them but in reality it could have been anybody from anywhere.

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
A little over a year has passed, and I am in need of some desert time. I came back to this thread to remind myself.

4x4x4doors

Explorer
Thanks for sharing and for bumping back to the "new posts". I missed it first time around.

More trip reports for completed adventures would be an improvement. I debate whether or not to respond to a well-written and illustrated report as it can stand by itself without my feeble words but a lack of even the feeble words leaves the share-r without the feedback to know we appreciate it.

So...travel on, share on and thank you.

mph

Expedition Leader
Moody,
Did u hike to this one or not? The second picture?

I sat alone amongst the ruins for quite some time...somehow, Nikon, Goretex, Outdoor Research, and Nature's Valley granola bars seem so out of place. I was a visitor here. Much like when you go into a neighbor's house when they are not home, the silence told me to walk softly, reverence was expected here...

DSC_0634.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
Nope. I burned most of the day in the upper canyon. I'd like to do the entire canyon one of these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77