Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

Troyercd

Gobi Stealth + Shadow Awn installation notes

I've been building up my JKUR over the past year as an overlanding platform. My most recent mod was the RTT and awning. For those interested in this configuration, below are my install notes/pics for the Shadow Awn and Gobi stealth. Hopefully this helps. There are a lot of great roof rack, RTT, & awning options out there. Just personal preference, I started with the Gobi stealth and went from there.

BLUF:
1. Attach the Shadow Awn to the top tubular bar (1"). Due to the Gobi design, the awning doesn't have enough clearance if attached to the lower bar (1.25" tube) when fully opened. (Trust me, I tried multiple ways).

2. I used modular mounts from Fourtreks that grab into the tubular bars. Works great, no slippage. http://fourtreks.com/modular_awning_mounts.html

3. Front to rear positioning is key. Again, the Gobi design doesn't allow for much tolerance. The awning location (front to back) requires precise positioning in order to clear any obstructions. See photos.

4. No ladder. I ended up needing to remove my Gobi ladder for the install (obstruction). I didn't try to put it back on, as I no longer need it to access the top. More importantly, it's extra weight that I don't need.

After two days of trial, error, and testing during install, I'm quite satisfied with the results. Install is likely a bit easier on a different style rack, but I like the Gobi look and it works well for me.

BONUS: With the RTT (James Baroud Evo) mounted, my rooftop Maxtrax storage location was suddenly gone. I wasn't sure where I would mount them, but discovered that I could make use of the Gobi rear side tubular bar and the modular clamps. (I had ordered both 1" and 1.25" clamps while working thru the mounting process).

Rig in use:
image.jpeg

Shadow Awn stowed:
image.jpg

Shadow Awn deployed:
image.jpg

Fourtreks modular clamps:
image.jpg

Hinge view and clearances 1:
image.jpg

Hinge view and clearances 2:
image.jpg

Hinge view and clearances 3:
image.jpg

BONUS: Using the Gobi rear vertical side bar as a mounting point for the Maxtrax. I used two 1.25" modular clamps in combination with the Maxtrax mount. The tracks are mounted using only the right side of the track. To make sure they don't flutter in the wind at high speeds, I also used a gear tie on the left side of the track to secure it to the bar.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
I've been building up my JKUR over the past year as an overlanding platform. My most recent mod was the RTT and awning. For those interested in this configuration, below are my install notes/pics for the Shadow Awn and Gobi stealth. Hopefully this helps. There are a lot of great roof rack, RTT, & awning options out there. Just personal preference, I started with the Gobi stealth and went from there.

BLUF:
1. Attach the Shadow Awn to the top tubular bar (1"). Due to the Gobi design, the awning doesn't have enough clearance if attached to the lower bar (1.25" tube) when fully opened. (Trust me, I tried multiple ways).

2. I used modular mounts from Fourtreks that grab into the tubular bars. Works great, no slippage. http://fourtreks.com/modular_awning_mounts.html

3. Front to rear positioning is key. Again, the Gobi design doesn't allow for much tolerance. The awning location (front to back) requires precise positioning in order to clear any obstructions. See photos.

4. No ladder. I ended up needing to remove my Gobi ladder for the install (obstruction). I didn't try to put it back on, as I no longer need it to access the top. More importantly, it's extra weight that I don't need.

After two days of trial, error, and testing during install, I'm quite satisfied with the results. Install is likely a bit easier on a different style rack, but I like the Gobi look and it works well for me.

BONUS: With the RTT (James Baroud Evo) mounted, my rooftop Maxtrax storage location was suddenly gone. I wasn't sure where I would mount them, but discovered that I could make use of the Gobi rear side tubular bar and the modular clamps. (I had ordered both 1" and 1.25" clamps while working thru the mounting process).

Rig in use:
View attachment 341682

Shadow Awn stowed:
View attachment 341683

Shadow Awn deployed:
View attachment 341684

Fourtreks modular clamps:
View attachment 341685

Hinge view and clearances 1:
View attachment 341686

Hinge view and clearances 2:
View attachment 341687

Hinge view and clearances 3:
View attachment 341688

BONUS: Using the Gobi rear vertical side bar as a mounting point for the Maxtrax. I used two 1.25" modular clamps in combination with the Maxtrax mount. The tracks are mounted using only the right side of the track. To make sure they don't flutter in the wind at high speeds, I also used a gear tie on the left side of the track to secure it to the bar.
View attachment 341689

View attachment 341690

Would you be able to use the ladder made for the other side of the rack?

Troyercd

Yes, I believe you could use the Gobi ladder on the side opposite of the awning. The original issue was the 45 degree angle of the awning support member, which was hitting up against the lower bar and ladder area in the rear. It's also worth noting that I chose the driver side for my awning application. The reason why is because on the Jeep, the spare tire swings out towards the passenger side. Having the awning also swing from the driver side to the rear towards the passenger side follows the same path as the spare. Result: unimpeded walk thru. Otherwise, you'd have to walk around the tire every time. Each vehicle type will have its own optimum configuration.

Last edited:

Topo.Ranger

Adventurer
Yes, I believe you could use the Gobi ladder on the side opposite of the awning. The original issue was the 45 degree angle of the awning support member, which was hitting up against the lower bar and ladder area in the rear. It's also worth noting that I chose the driver side for my awning application. The reason why is because on the Jeep, the spare tire swings out towards the passenger side. Having the awning also swing from the driver side to the rear towards the passenger side follows the same path as the spare. Result: unimpeded walk thru. Otherwise, you'd have to walk around the tire every time. Each vehicle type will have its own optimum configuration.

I would get the driver side mounted awning also. my tire carrier swings towards the passenger side, and once i get my RTT i will have it fold out towards the passenger side so i could use that as a small awning.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Much Mahalo to OK4WD for taking the time and showing the ins and outs of the ShadowAwning at Expo West. I'm taking it in tomorrow to Sierra Expeditions here in PHX and they will mount it up to my Prospeed roof rack using the Prospeed awning mounts. Hopefully, its a pretty straight forward install once the clearance for the rear hatch is measured up.
Can't wait to start using it on family trips :)

el_topu

Adventurer
Was the canopy on display in OEX West for 2nd gen Tacoma? Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Was the canopy on display in OEX West for 2nd gen Tacoma? Any pictures?

Yes the Tacoma was present along with Rino
Very nice construction and detail
As expected much more durable than other composite tents

First pic is there tip down fridge slide

Didnt get any pics of the nice 270° awning requiring no support legs and we had the wind to test it.

Attachments

• IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5017.jpg
    IMG_5017.jpg
    514.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_5018.jpg
    IMG_5018.jpg
    548.9 KB · Views: 119

el_topu

Adventurer
Yes the Tacoma was present along with Rino
Very nice construction and detail
As expected much more durable than other composite tents

First pic is there tip down fridge slide

Didnt get any pics of the nice 270° awning requiring no support legs and we had the wind to test it.

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

m(a)ce

Adventurer
we've been testing the Alu-Cab RTT & Shadow Awning.

so far impressed with the build quality & attention to detail of the RTT and completely spoiled how easily the awning deploys/stows in addition to extra coverage it offers.

bf2f0558e2a81156b0b069ab5d9e33bf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

irish_11

Explorer
Random, but any word if you are going to be carrying Alu-Cabs truck canopies too? Curious what an Explorer canopy would cost in the US? I saw a few in Aus last fall and really like the function and construction.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Random, but any word if you are going to be carrying Alu-Cabs truck canopies too? Curious what an Explorer canopy would cost in the US? I saw a few in Aus last fall and really like the function and construction.

They are coming in time, we will be sending a few vehicles in the near future to South Africa for fitment. Tacoma 2nd and 3rd generations are our main focus.

Coming this July we will have production Tacoma 2nd / 3rd Canopies for Short / Long bed available in black and silver. We will also have the Expedition III roof top tent back in stock now in silver and black and lastly we will have our first shipment of the ICARUS roof conversions for the D110.

daveh

Adventurer
we've been testing the Alu-Cab RTT & Shadow Awning.

so far impressed with the build quality & attention to detail of the RTT and completely spoiled how easily the awning deploys/stows in addition to extra coverage it offers.

bf2f0558e2a81156b0b069ab5d9e33bf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Matt, how does it feel or effect handling in regards to the weight compared to the Baroud that you had on there previously? Do you know the total weight of tent and awning?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WRL