Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

trabs00

Lifetime Social Distancer
Ladder Question

Rin,

Do you have the dimensions for the ladder? Also is it folding / telescoping etc? Is there a way to store the ladder on the bottom of the tent?

The tent would be going on my Tundra canopy, and I am a little concerned about the height of my truck (6inch lift, 37" tires, and would be mounted to bars on top of canopy).

Thanks
Travis

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Yes sorry for my bad choice of words. Looking overall height with mounting channels and the width of the channels center to center.

Any idea how long free shipping will be in effect?

Thank you in advance!

No worries! The channels are a bit different in design then the norm, the channels serve as a mounting point to the "mounting brackets" which also attach to the side of the tent. So the mounting center line can be adjusted as desired.

The free shipping should be in effect for the foreseeable future.

dman93

Adventurer
No worries! The channels are a bit different in design then the norm, the channels serve as a mounting point to the "mounting brackets" which also attach to the side of the tent. So the mounting center line can be adjusted as desired.

The free shipping should be in effect for the foreseeable future.
Does this mean that (within reason) there is enough side to side adjustment in the location of the brackets, so the RTT brackets can mount directly to existing Yakima or Thule style tracks already installed on a fiberglass canopy? And not require landing pads, towers and cross bars?

rino

We fit our Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with an Alu Cab Expedition III RTT and Shadow Awning to do some R & D. First impressions, we are very happy with the fitment on the JKU roof and how the tent stays within the dimensions of the hard top. We were also impressed with the Shadow Awning coverage on the JKU, it spans from the front driver door past the tailgate fully ajar!

A9953EE3-9E61-40FA-9A07-B8193D69AD20_zps1qlnir2w.jpg

Another notable feature is the Expedition III tent mounts directly to two Rhino Rack HD cross bars, eliminating the need of a platform and saving overall weight. Also the Shadow Awning can mount directly to the Expedition III tent, eliminating various mounts needed for different racks.

3805B644-4525-4F90-A7B8-34330AFB0A71_zpsw5sz7ssb.jpg

1BC23229-B0B2-4435-95C2-71F5625A046D_zps7oyw7glp.jpg

1FE5DDD6-230D-4436-8C3D-E4ADBA945513_zpsontgjlbg.jpg

Last edited:

rino

Does this mean that (within reason) there is enough side to side adjustment in the location of the brackets, so the RTT brackets can mount directly to existing Yakima or Thule style tracks already installed on a fiberglass canopy? And not require landing pads, towers and cross bars?

It would be tough, the mounts can only slide front to rear. Attached below is a picture of how I attached them to a Rhino Rack HD cross bar. There are two "spin nuts" in the bar that the bolts pass into.

E6B3EE5A-5600-48CB-8EAB-901AB5765ED7_zpseij08yrb.jpg

dcoy

Adventurer
I do like the idea of a direct mount tent.
x2
Any specs on load bearing capacity? We carry a tandem mountain bike that would have to go on top. Of course, there's Maxtraxx, HiLift, etc. but some of those can go on the rear swingouts.

trabs00

It would be tough, the mounts can only slide front to rear. Attached below is a picture of how I attached them to a Rhino Rack HD cross bar. There are two "spin nuts" in the bar that the bolts pass into.

E6B3EE5A-5600-48CB-8EAB-901AB5765ED7_zpseij08yrb.jpg

Do you have any idea how the tent would mount to bars that are similar to the old Thule square bars? Is there separate hardware to mount to cross bars that do not have slots in them? (I am assuming you are referring to the rhino rack bars having slots, my bars are from ATC canopy but are similar to the old Thule Square bars. I assume I could use Yakima mighty mounts, but would be hesitant to attach so much weight with plastic wrap arounds...

rino

x2
Any specs on load bearing capacity? We carry a tandem mountain bike that would have to go on top. Of course, there's Maxtraxx, HiLift, etc. but some of those can go on the rear swingouts.

Thy are rated for 220lbs and I can tell you with myself close to 200lbs standing on the roof of the tent it doesn't budge.

rino

Do you have any idea how the tent would mount to bars that are similar to the old Thule square bars? Is there separate hardware to mount to cross bars that do not have slots in them? (I am assuming you are referring to the rhino rack bars having slots, my bars are from ATC canopy but are similar to the old Thule Square bars. I assume I could use Yakima mighty mounts, but would be hesitant to attach so much weight with plastic wrap arounds...

If you do not have but slots, you would just have to drill and bolt trough the bars themselves. I would be cautious of mighty mounts

photo nomad

Adventurer
I love the shadow awning system, very nice! I've been trying to select the best RTT and awning set up for my needs and this may be the awning I choose. Anyone successfully mounted one of these to a JKU w/ a Gobi? I assume it would be very similar to the FJ with the Baja Rack mounted above.

Check out @christroyerphoto on Instagram, I believe he just posted up a pic of a James Baroud RTT and an AluCab shadow awning mounted to a Gobi on his JKU.

concretejungle

Adventurer
I think you said it somewhere before, but what is the shipping weight of this tent?

Also, looking at your mount, so it has mounting brackets that slide down the side of the tent and then you ran the bolts through the HD rhino bars? Just comparing to the JB which have channels on the bottom of the tent.

rino

I think you said it somewhere before, but what is the shipping weight of this tent?

Also, looking at your mount, so it has mounting brackets that slide down the side of the tent and then you ran the bolts through the HD rhino bars? Just comparing to the JB which have channels on the bottom of the tent.

The shipping weight is around 300+ lbs for the Expedition III tent with the pallet and crating.

The bolts go into nuts that slide into the bars themselves. The JB is simpler to mount, because it does not require the mounting bracket to span to the outer sides of the tent. The Alu Cab is a brute and the mounting is so overkill, but that is part of the allure I believe.

trabs00

There are four of these mount under the tent, they can slide front to rear in the channel to be fitted. The bottom of the mount is where the mounting hardware passes though into your rack, cross bars, or gutter mounts :)

(The tent in the picture is not bolted down)

2BC7DA8D-B959-416A-A288-2289BFDDC0B9_zpspgv2y8hb.jpg

9F659DD2-C26E-4E80-8E4E-B731F74ADE04_zpss21mmfsv.jpg

]\\];[

Rin,

One bit of info that might be very useful for people in the US market is more specs surrounding the mounting . Specifically, the mounting channels below the tent that run side to side and can be adjusted front to back, they have a cutout for where one can pass bolts through to mount to bars / rack etc. What is the minimum width and maximum width that one would be able to pass a bolt through the cutout into said bar / roof rack? Does my question make sense?

For example, it looks like the tent is 56" wide, and if I were to mount the channels to my cross bars at the widest point in that channel, the distance between sides would look to be just less than 56" maybe 52-54". It looks like the slots in the mounting channels extends inward, under then tent, thus creating a minimum width that i could bolt through to my bars / roof rack. Could you measure what that is?

Example if I had a platform rack that had a spot to bolt the mounting channels to the rack what was 46" side to side, would the mounting channels of the tent be able to accept that width (mounting hardware would obviously be below the tent at that point).

Sorry if my questions are unclear.

Thanks

Travis

KevinsMap

Adventurer
Ossewa?

I'm seconding an earlier question; perhaps I missed the answer. If so, apologies.

What about the Alu-Cab Ossewa? I realize there would be quite a bit of custom fitment here in the USA, for any vehicle... but that said, I would be seriously interested. Can it be made available, by special order? What would be the price range, or minimum price before options?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh