Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

danmedeiros

Observer
Received my alucab expedition 3 yesterday. Was impressed with the tent! The ladder, not so much. Doesn't extend and is uncomfortable narrow. It's so short that I can access the tent from the back of my mildly lifted 80 series land cruiser. I'm going to have to fab something up to replace it.

Received my alucab expedition 3 yesterday. Was impressed with the tent! The ladder, not so much. Doesn't extend and is uncomfortable narrow. It's so short that I can access the tent from the back of my mildly lifted 80 series land cruiser. I'm going to have to fab something up to replace it.

Unless you use an adjustable ladder, it is impossible to make one that will work for everybody.

I cut 2 steps off of mine, It is perfect for climbing in from the bed of the truck.
The original was about 2 feet too short to use on the side....

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD

We are in the works of getting telescoping ladders, in South Africa the ladders seem to fit the general population of rigs but here not so much. For those needing a longer ladder in the meantime, this ladder off amazon works great with the Alu-Cab mount attached to the top of it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LKRU6I2?psc=1

danmedeiros

Observer
Thanks for the link rino. Does the mount just unbolt? There appears to be some sort of glue in addition to the bolts. Hoping to not ruin it prying it off.

rino

Thanks for the link rino. Does the mount just unbolt? There appears to be some sort of glue in addition to the bolts. Hoping to not ruin it prying it off.

Oh no I would leave the rear mount, if you purchased your tent in the last 3 months it should have a second ladder mount in the ladder bag with hardware.

bjunc

Observer
For reference, the Alu-Cab ladder ended up being pretty much the perfect length for me. I have a 2.5" AEV lift and 35" tires. My gripe is putting a possibly dirty/wet ladder into a bag (which might also be dirty/wet), then into the tent with bedding. I think I'd prefer a collapsible ladder that stores in the Jeep.

vlcsnap-2017-02-26-12h53m23s943.jpg

MetalDog

Observer
Thank Rin for tips on how to install the Alu Cab Gen 3 to my Rhino Rack HD bars! The ladder was a tad short for my G550, which has about a 2 inch lift on it. Came up with a great workaround though. Now to convince the wife to let me get the Shadow Awning...

Attachments

• IMG_1276.jpg
    IMG_1276.jpg
    548.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    561.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 77

danmedeiros

Observer
SO I am about to mount my tent up with only two Rhino rack heavy duty bars. Hopefully thats enough..... Could add a third later i guess.

camodog

Adventurer
I was just a click away from buying the shadow awning 270, when the better half chimed in with her infinite wisdom. I will do my best to describe our dilemma.
We own a 4runner, which has a rear liftgate style hatch. the wife is correct in that we wont be able to lift the rear hatch while the awning is open and we also wont be able to open the awning while the hatch is opened. Although we have a powered rear window, she, wouldnt be able to pick things up and through the rear window. She is short. This also makes a future fridge on slide, and other rear cargo boxes obsolete when used with the shadow, unless we closed and reopened the awning everytime.
My question is this, does anyone have the shadow awning with a 4runner or similar vehicle with an opening rear hatch that is not a swing door?
Is it as much of a PITA as the wife suggests?
Am I over thinking it?
What would you do?
Any ideas, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I spent months picking out the perfect awning, and then BAM, the wife shot it down with her forward thinking.
Help please.

What are my alternatives?

bjunc

Observer
Are you positive the rear hatch window will collide with the awning, or just assuming? My wrangler as a rear hatch window, but it does not interfere with the awning. Actually, you can see it in the image I attached above. The two can open/close independent of each other.

camodog

Adventurer
Are you positive the rear hatch window will collide with the awning, or just assuming? My wrangler as a rear hatch window, but it does not interfere with the awning. Actually, you can see it in the image I attached above. The two can open/close independent of each other.

Correct. We went outside and measured. We can open the hatch, but only by about a foot or so. Which isnt enough. The 4Runner has a large spoiler over the top of the window, so you can open the rear window and it wont get wet. That is the biggest issue. Can't remove the spoiler either.

jerdog53

Explorer
I was just a click away from buying the shadow awning 270, when the better half chimed in with her infinite wisdom. I will do my best to describe our dilemma.
We own a 4runner, which has a rear liftgate style hatch. the wife is correct in that we wont be able to lift the rear hatch while the awning is open and we also wont be able to open the awning while the hatch is opened. Although we have a powered rear window, she, wouldnt be able to pick things up and through the rear window. She is short. This also makes a future fridge on slide, and other rear cargo boxes obsolete when used with the shadow, unless we closed and reopened the awning everytime.
My question is this, does anyone have the shadow awning with a 4runner or similar vehicle with an opening rear hatch that is not a swing door?
Is it as much of a PITA as the wife suggests?
Am I over thinking it?
What would you do?
Any ideas, tips, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I spent months picking out the perfect awning, and then BAM, the wife shot it down with her forward thinking.
Help please.

What are my alternatives?

Jerred just buy the damn thing we'll figure out the semantics later....

rino

SO I am about to mount my tent up with only two Rhino rack heavy duty bars. Hopefully thats enough..... Could add a third later i guess.

Two Rhino Rack or equivalent bars is sufficient, more can't hurt but they are tested and true with just two. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77