Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

dfinn

Adventurer
I have the Gamiviti quick release mounts. They are very nice. Pretty sure they won't be strong enough for the Alucab awning. Work great with our current arb awning though.

I sent an email to Tim from Gamiviti asking him about this last night. He thinks that they should work just fine but he's trying to get a little more info about the awning. Not sure how likely this is but hopefully he can get his hands on one to test with. I'm using his quick release receivers now but on a smaller, lighter Tepui awning. I plan to upgrade to an alucab awning soon and am hoping I can continue to use the Gamiviti receivers.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I sent an email to Tim from Gamiviti asking him about this last night. He thinks that they should work just fine but he's trying to get a little more info about the awning. Not sure how likely this is but hopefully he can get his hands on one to test with. I'm using his quick release receivers now but on a smaller, lighter Tepui awning. I plan to upgrade to an alucab awning soon and am hoping I can continue to use the Gamiviti receivers.

If you are thinking on pulling the trigger on the Shadow Awning and having it sent to Gamiviti for development and shipped to you with your rack, I will work with you on a deal for your trouble. :ylsmoke:

dfinn

Adventurer
If you are thinking on pulling the trigger on the Shadow Awning and having it sent to Gamiviti for development and shipped to you with your rack, I will work with you on a deal for your trouble. :ylsmoke:

That's funny, I was just talking with Tim about doing exactly this. I'll send you a PM.

Snipershrk

Little teaser.

d7840a4acae1028e8bf39b1f3c7b8fc5.jpg

Awesome!

MobTuff

Observer
Anyone have a walk around video of the Alu-Cab Shadow Awning Wall Kit? Also how is the awning in the rain? Is there anyway to prevent rain from coming in through the hole or on the sides near the vehicle?

bjunc

Observer
Anyone have a walk around video of the Alu-Cab Shadow Awning Wall Kit? Also how is the awning in the rain? Is there anyway to prevent rain from coming in through the hole or on the sides near the vehicle?

I can't speak to the wall kit, but I just used the awning in a torrential downpour. I had just pulled into camp, and if it weren't for how fast the Exp III and Shadow go up, I would have been totally soaked. The awning held up surprising well. There wasn't really any wind, so the rain just came straight down. The awning support pole wasn't needed, but I put it up anyway because the rain was pooling up between the awning arms and I wanted to be safe. I would occasionally go between the awning arms and push the water out, but the arms themselves handled the added weight of the pooled water like champs. There are gaps between the vehicle and awning, where water can come in, but I was surprised how little came through, even in very heavy rainfall. I think the bigger problem would be wind, which would bring the rain under the awning from the sides (but that's not unique to the Shadow).

All that said, a ground tent and awning would have fared far worse. Firstly, I never would have been able to set up that fast (even my OzTent), which would have meant that me, the tent, and the stuff going into the tent would have all been soaked. Second, the Shadow awning handled the rain far better than a tent awning (again, comparing to the pretty stout OzTent awning). So all things considered, even though the Shadow wasn't "perfect" it was the best setup I've ever used in a situation like that.

Side note, I wish the Exp III had a side annex attachment like the rear does. Getting in and out of the tent in a rainstorm is a PITA, especially when you're trying to take your muddy shoes off at the top of the ladder. An umbrella worked, but I was a bit nervous/annoyed, standing at the top of a wet ladder, in heavy rain, with a 45lb. dog and umbrella in one arm, and unzipping the tent with the other.

millerfish

Adventurer
Are there any dealers in Southern California for the Alu-Cab canopies? Specifically for a Gen2 Tacoma SB. Also is the silver option painted or bare aluminum?

Thanks

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Are there any dealers in Southern California for the Alu-Cab canopies? Specifically for a Gen2 Tacoma SB. Also is the silver option painted or bare aluminum?

Thanks

Check out Goose Gear in Westminster, he actually has a few canopies coming on this incoming container.

The silver option is a painted finish, they are not available raw. All canopies coming for stock are ordered in textured black, but silver is available for special order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77