Am I mad?

Cackalak Han

Explorer
I used to have auto-ADHD. New car every year or so. That stopped a little while ago and I thought my Tacoma was going to be a keeper for a loooong time. But recently, the AADHD came out of remission.

First, I love my 2001 Double Cab Tacoma TRD. Never has let me down. But I was trying to count the number of times within the last year when I actually had to use it for off-road use. Couldn't really think of that many. Only time in 4WD was going up the canyon in 4WD during a snow storm. The light off-road use that I did drive through was mild enough for a Subaru Forester, I think. Kind of bums me out, but I literally had no time to venture out to any real trails.

My current situation is, I have my Tacoma and a Honda Civic (my commuter--50MPG!). My wife has a Corolla. She drives to work now, but will be setting up the business in the house, so no need for commute. I commute 90+ miles a day, so need a gas sipper. We also love camping, so need something that can take us off the beaten path. I'd like to consolidate to two cars. She will be staying home most of the time, so 3 cars between us is kind of an overkill, I think. We're expecting in a few months for our first baby, so need a 4-door. I was looking at the Honda CRV, but the Element is intriguing. I think even with the suicide doors, it won't be THAT bad for the baby seat and convenience. Also, it should be able to get us through to most of the camping spots, right? We will be getting the AWD version.

So the action plan is, A) sell all three cars, get her an Element and get myself a Fit. The Civic is still okay, but with 180k miles, there are maintenance items coming up. And I don't want to drive the Corolla, as it's an automatic. For hauling trash, mulch, and whatnot, get myself a little trailer for the Element.

Or B) Keep the Tacoma, sell the Civic and Corolla and get a Fit. The only thing I worry about is that the Tacoma has no ABS, VSC, and RWD most of the time, so not the safest in adverse conditions for my wife.

Or C) Do nothing and slap myself upside the head for trying to complicate my already hectic life.

I know that a lot of you have your two daily drivers and a camping/expedition rig (or two). But for those that have just two vehicles, what's your configuration? Am I an idiot for thinking of selling the Tacoma? Is the Element (or CRV?) right for our situtation? :Wow1: Keep in mind that for the next two years or more, our camping trips will be limited with the baby. Although we will be going out.

Last edited:

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
The wife and I have 2 vehicles-- a 2007 Yaris and a 97 4Runner. I drive the Yaris because like you, I have a 90 mile a day commute. My wife only has a 25 mile a day commute so it makes sense for her to drive the 4Runner.

If I was you, I'd sell the car that has the most miles and keep the other two. Especially if they are all paid off. Buying two new cars is going to cost you $700-800 a month in payments. A 4 door Tacoma should be enough room for you and the family. Even if you never use the 4wd, it's there if you need it.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sounds like you need this:

21503_0_1_2_klr%20650_Image%20credits%20-%20Kawasaki.jpg

However, it is always hard to justify selling a pickup. They are just so dang useful.

njtaco

Explorer
How does your wife feel about driving the Tacoma? If she is ok with it, park the Corolla as a spare, and continue to drive the Honda to work.

2c

Keaster

Observer
Yeah go ahead and slap yourself! Payments suck, your civic will last forever and with the money you save you can take more adventurous trips in the Taco. Cars are supposed to take us where we want/need to go not way us down with their costs. Just my two cents. I have 91 accord looks good runs great had it nine years. Got my 89 4runner for 2k and had it a year also runs great best 2k Ive ever spent in my life!

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Yeah go ahead and slap yourself! Payments suck, your civic will last forever and with the money you save you can take more adventurous trips in the Taco. Cars are supposed to take us where we want/need to go not way us down with their costs. Just my two cents. I have 91 accord looks good runs great had it nine years. Got my 89 4runner for 2k and had it a year also runs great best 2k Ive ever spent in my life!

I'm a car guy originally from Detroit. But Keaster makes sense. Cars are the biggest divestment there is.

Personally, I couldn't live without a camping/shuttle rig like my van. Its our lifestyle vehicle. I would sell the Corolly, keep the Hondy and the Taco. If you still feel the need to buy something new, get rid of that Stumpjumper or the Klein and get a Superlight or something.:bike_rider:

I forgot what a pleasure it is living and working in Bellingham. I'm outside sales so I don't really commute. And when i do have to go to the office, its only 4 minutes away. (I go home to go to the bathroom!) My wife's commute is 7 minutes by car, 17 by bike.

The Element is really low on ground clearence so you have to watch your camping spots. Paulj has put a bajillion miles on his so you could ask him how he likes his.

Being in the kayak retail business for as long as I was, I really got to see people buying on ADD. It was like a train wreck about to happen and you could see it unfolding. They would get fixated on a boat that they just had to have, and I knew was not right for them but they would'nt listen. They would buy it, and sure enough it would be for sale before the season was half over. Same with my friends and their trucks. Buy high, sell low. You can't tell em, though, they won't listen.

Good luck with the fleet and the baby.

Oh, and Keaster; My Honda Accord Hatchback was one of the all time great vehicles I've ever owned. I could put two kayaks and two bikes on top, load 'er up with all the gear including my girfriend, and haul ******** all the way from Detroit to Sayulita (near Puerto Vallarta) and still get 28 miles to the gallon.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for all the good input and thoughts. I do realize that going into debt is never good. However, with 180k on the Honda, 127k on the Tacoma, I'm just thinking it might be a good idea to get newer cars to not worry too much about maintenance. The Civic will need a timing belt/water pump and clutch soon. The Tacoma needs timing belt/water pump, and other misc. maintenance. About $2k for just maintenance. Not counting anything else that might go wrong.

But then again, I do know plenty of people that have over 300k miles on their Civics and the same on their Toyota's.

If I were to sell the cars and buy the two cars, I'd probably end up with a net difference of about $6-8,000. Not too bad.

But for the most part, you guys are right. Maybe this needs to wait till next year or the year after.

@ njtaco - My wife loves Tacoma's, but I don't feel comfortable with her driving a car with no ABS, VSC or other safety features. I'd rather her drive her Corolla.

@ T. Low - I'm never selling any of my bikes!!!! I wish my commute was that close. Wouldn't even need the Honda then. I dream of a day I can bike to work.

@ expeditionwest and spencyg - Yeah, I sold my motorcycles a year ago due to starting a family. Impractical and dangerous. I do want to get another someday. Esp. something like a KLR

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Take a close look at the Element. Ground clearance absolutely sucks and the lowest hanging item? The gas tank (yes, it hangs below the unibody frame.)

Element is a cool concept, I love the utilitarian box design but it is strictly a paved road/dirt road/beach type vehicle. If there's even a possibility of rocks bigger than about 6", you don't want to take an Element there.

I think even the CR-V has more clearance than the Element.

Also consider that the "real time 4wd" means you are in fwd until you start slipping and then the rear drive starts kicking in. IMO that is too late to be engaging the rear drive.

If it were me I'd be thinking of something like the Toyota Rav-4. The 3rd gen Rav is a pretty good size vehicle but still very economical.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I hear ya on the bikes. I keep a rotating quiver that includes a hardtail, a 5" full suspension,a 8" Downhill, and a roadbike. Just replaced my '99 Kona Pahoehoe hardtail with a Kona Unit 29er. Next year, will rotate the 5" bike for a new one.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I'm in the process of downsizing from 3 cars to 2 as well. Here's where I started:

'05 Saab 9-2X Aero (rebadged Subaru WRX)
'06 Saab 9-3 SportCombi (wagon)
'94 Range Rover County (the offroad/camping/dirtbiking/etc car)

My commute is 70 miles/day (round trip) and my wife's commute is 9 miles round trip. My car was the 9-2X; it was good for 25mpg on premium fuel. We decided to get rid of the Rover and the 9-2X (75k miles and starting to need some work) and replace them with my '09 Taco DC. Now I just need to get rid of the Rover. I drive the Taco for the commute, and although my gas bill has went up slightly, the end result is worth it. I really don't have room for 3 cars and absolutely love the Tacoma.

chet

island Explorer
I'm not sure why people are so fixated on ABS, etc. your wife drove a vehicle before these comforts came to be right? I would feel safer having my family in a tacoma up high then in a carolla with ABS. I say sell the civic and keep the tacoma and corolla and deal with the auto. I converted to an auto a few years ago for my 120km daily commute and love it. no more fussing about in traffic or at lights.

Believe save the money and put it towards your kid. Best money spent!

Martin is right...I own an '05 Element AWD. I bought it as a daily driver when gas started going up and as the miles added up on the MDR (199,909 and counting!). But...I have loaded the "E" down with camping gear and made it back into Edison Lake (Sierras) without a problem. Dirt, narrow, rutted with some minor obstacles, no krawlin'. And the back seating is "stadium" style, nice for a car seat.

That being said, IMO it's always more economical to hang onto vehicles until they absolutely, completely detonate. You can buy many repairs for the price of a purchase and financing of a new vehicle. Besides, just after you sell the Taco you would end up needing it for something!

Good luck with everything!:wavey:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues