Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

zuke

Adventurer
It looks like the frame extension may have been added by an installer after the ambulance was built - I find it hard to believe that one of the manufacturers did it.

The frame extension is used by the rear mounts for the module, and is also how the rear bumper is attached, so it may have been refitted after delivery, but there had to be some kind of frame extension on it when delivered... In any case, this weekend I plated both sides of the rear frame and extension with 1/4" plate, and used some 4" stuctural C-Channel, more 1/4" plate, and a Curt receiver tube to make this;

hitch-back.jpg

Hitch-in.jpg

So I just gotta get in a brake controller and some light wiring this week, and if all goes well I have a short trip next weekend to try it on..

Last edited:

Coachgeo

Explorer
Generally speaking is the interior visible flat floor width the same width as the cavity below the box that the trucks chassis sits within? Trying to determine what measurments to ask folk for that have an Ambo Box for sell. Need measurment(s) that would hint to me that my chassis will fit in the cavity. Often the boxes for sell are sitting on the ground so they can't crawl under to measure the cavity itself. One hours from me I've got some intrest in is off of an F350

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Perhaps a member here could take some measurements of their box... Who built the Ambulance box?

I've got a Crestline "New Era". It's essentially a Mini mod with Dually rear wheels. 88" wide and 148" long. Exterior walls are 2.25" thick.

On the P/S you can see the wheel well cutout. The D/S matches. Mine was covered by approx 1.5" of insulation on all sides.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Perhaps a member here could take some measurements of their box... Who built the Ambulance box?

I've got a Crestline "New Era"......
Osage Industries Inc. model F356 made in 1999. It came off a 1999 Ford F350. 12'4" long, 7' 6" tall and 7' 10". Front to center of wheel well is approximately 81". Inside floor to ceiling 71 1/2"

On the P/S you can see the wheel well cutout. The D/S matches. Mine was covered by approx 1.5" of insulation on all sides.
P/S??? D/S????

Coachgeo

Explorer
yeah but dont think I can assume that a box built in 1999 is similar as one in those drawings dated in 2013; besides they were kind enough to reply to me this morning and said they have zero drawings of things that old and no information on dimensions of something that old. What they didnt say was potentially just as important...... they didn't even mention the drawings on the site.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
I ran into a similar issue with my 1996 Road Rescue. The hadn't gone digital yet and all their old documents for the older models were FUBAR.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Crappy.

You might have better luck finding dimensions of the trucks/vans they were built to mount on. Annother thought, some of the companies that remount boxes may be willing to answer some questions... They likely have info but it's hard to say if they'd share it.

I could take measurements of a 12/96 E350, but I don't think they'd help.

rlrenz

Explorer
I think you'll find that the modules are built large enough that they can mount on different trucks, otherwise every module could be a "special". Also look at the cost of modifying their welding jigs every year.

It makes more sense to build a "universal" module that adapts to a variety of frames with different mounting brackets.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Generally speaking is the interior visible flat floor width the same width as the cavity below the box that the trucks chassis sits within? Trying to determine what measurments to ask folk for that have an Ambo Box for sell. Need measurment(s) that would hint to me that my chassis will fit in the cavity. Often the boxes for sell are sitting on the ground so they can't crawl under to measure the cavity itself. One hours from me I've got some intrest in is off of an F350

Somebody you might talk to is MGmetalworks here on this site. What you most likely need is a chassis print that has measurements you're looking for.

A box made for a cab n chassis would probably be different for one made to drop on a standard p/u, even a dually. I seem to recall that frame dimensions on C&C vehicles are all the same (other than overall length) so upfitters (like ambulance companies) have a standard platform to work from.

Frame widths of an F-350 C & C are not the same as an F-350 duality pickup. I'd wager the lions share of ambulance boxs made for an F-series platform are made for the cab n chassis model. Find the frame specs for a for a Ford F-series C & C and you'll most likely have the info you'll need to figure out if a box will fit around your frame.

The other measurements, overall length, front of box to wheel well center, wheel well center to rear of box, etc should be pretty straight forward.

I know I'm explaining this poorly, but hopefully you get the gist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater