Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Thanx..... that site said 98 and above w/38" Runner (measured outside frame rail to outside frame rail)

Keep in mind that site is listing measurements for regular pickup trucks AND cab n chassis trucks. An F-350 standard type pickup has wider frame rails than an F-350 C&C.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Good Catch thanks. It says C&C has a 34" Frame Rail measurment

That would be correct yes. And the C&C chassis has straight frame rails from the cab back. They don't vary in width and there is no "hump" over the wheel area.

I believe at the moment the C&C layout is the same for all the Big 3, but I'm not sure how far back that holds true. So modern ambo modules built on a C&C chassis should be consistent as well. The "floor" of the module should sit above the frame, and low hanging exterior compartments will clear a 34" frame width.

In your case those compartment issues are probably the biggest question for your frame. As long as they are wide enough to clear it, and not hit anything maybe attached to the outside of it, you'll probably be good to go. The module will just sit on top of it, with you maybe having to fab some frame mounted body mounts to attach to it, if that makes sense.

Or I'm just completely full of it, which is by no means out of the question. :)

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Good Catch thanks. It says C&C has a 34" Frame Rail measurment

Trust me when I say double check this if you buy a van chassis model and decide to remount it on a commercial truck frame. I spent some time making mounts and what not to make the DOT happy when I converted mine. It is a 1991 Road Rescue, van chassis from the factory.

clarkh

Observer
Hey all. I'll start a build thread soon, but i'm far enough along I have a few questions for the group. I removed the rear heater to the box. I'm looking to tie the lines in with a heat exchanger to my espar. Espar will be on a separate loop. The line comes out of the drivers side head and returns along with the heater core loop to the top of the water pump. My main question is about a pump for block heating. Any ideas? I'd like the pump to be "flow through", so when driving I can use the van water pump to circulate coolant to the heat exchanger. Has to be one of you that has done this and found a pump that works. I have a 2000 E450 with 7.3.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
You want a pump designed for hot antifreeze, which probably means something with a magnetic coupling instead of a shaft seal if possible. About the optimal pump would be a Hoseline pump from an ambulance. Hoseline (www.hoseline.com) has this pump available in 5/8 & 3/4". You should be able to track one down from Hoseline, from an ambulance dealer, or from a junkyard with luck. There was one on Ebay (search "hoseline") for a long time, but I see that one is gone.

pump.JPG

Failing that, I'd suggest checking military surplus dealers, such as Surplus Center, in Omaha. You can always buy a commercial circulating pump, but the Hoseline design works well.

clarkh

Observer
Thanks for the info guys. I see one on Amazon with a pigtail that I'll try. Also, there are vacuum actuated valves on the supply from the head, and on the return. Any idea why they had 2? Seems like just one on the supply would work. I'll be removing them anyway I think.

fanbulance

does anyone have the wiring diagram and manual for a McCoy Miller box? I have a 96 138" and have been waiting for McCoy Miller customer service to send me one with no luck after weeks. I would greatly appreciate it!

FDM2012

Adventurer
I feel your pain. I have had ZERO luck with this, as well........

does anyone have the wiring diagram and manual for a McCoy Miller box? I have a 96 138" and have been waiting for McCoy Miller customer service to send me one with no luck after weeks. I would greatly appreciate it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues