Ambulance Camper/ Expedition Rig Conversion FAQ

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I will do that and report back

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

If they are upfitter wires they usually have numbers printed on them. the numbers should correspond to the circuit schematic (at least if you've got a type 3). have a look when you're poking around.

On a side note, Crestline has instructional videos explaining about the features. I've found them to view online... your company may also.

zuke

Adventurer
Whew, Just finished reading this thread, a lot of great info in here.

I just picked up an 89 Type I on a Chevy V3500 chassis. I know, not the typical starting point for this group with so many Type IIIs here, But I chose this starting point because it was already 4wd, and I got a great deal on it from a local Rescue Squad.

14720369_10206946335848617_7553091605359918853_n.jpg
14716238_10206946339848717_7800071264755458256_n.jpg

Plan is for a relatively light Weekender type build, It's replacing a Dodge 2500 Van that I use to tow my crawlers to the rocks, and then sleep there in the tow rig, so all I'm really planning is to install a jack knife couch onto the crew bench, put in Propane Heat and Electric AC (Shore Powered) put in a TV/Blu-Ray/Antenna, then convert all the storage to handle the stuff we are currently putting under the bed in the dodge. (We have an extensive Kitchen we carry with us, but we fully set it up outside now, and don't plan on changing that, other than it being under an awning attached to the Ambo).

My primary question at this time, is what have you guys done as far as adding a receiver hitch to your Ambos? I don't mind cutting away the rear bumper for clearance, but the frame extension for the box (about 12 inches on mine) makes using a factory type hitch pretty much unworkable, as it would be too far under the box, and it looks like the rear box mounts will interfere with most of the Cab&Chasis universal hitches...

rlrenz

Explorer
My Medic Master/Freightliner has a rear bumper that extends 16" (when you include the rubber dock bumpers), and that's too far for me. My garage is 28 ft deep, and right now, the overall ambulance length is 25 ft. I'm going to chop the rear bumper back to being a 4x6" chunk of box tubing, and then I can build a decent Class III rear hitch.

zuke

Adventurer
Even if I cut bumper completely off mine, there is another twelve inches past the back of the factory frame, First Response (Another defunct manufacturer) extends the frame with some rather strange bracketry and welding, and then the rear module mounts to the extended frame with some really big bolts. I'm nervous about attaching the hitch to the extensions, but if I don't, it's going to end up with the receiver way in from the edge of them module... I'll try to take some pics and post them tonight to give everyone a clearer picturer of what it's like. I haven't looked under the back of a Type III, But I assumed they were made in a similar way.

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
My type III frame goes all the way to the back.

I'd find 1/4" channel that fits reasonably tight inside the frame, and if possible overlap the frame by a couple feet. Then bolt through the frame with 6 bolts per side with oversized washers and grade 8 hardware. The hitch will fail before the frame extensions would.

I'll likely do something similar if I ever mount a heavy hitch on the back of mine... I'm a firm believer in overkill.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader

I just picked up an 89 Type I on a Chevy V3500 chassis. I know, not the typical starting point for this group with so many Type IIIs here, But I chose this starting point because it was already 4wd, and I got a great deal on it from a local Rescue Squad.

View attachment 373462
View attachment 373463

Plan is for a relatively light Weekender type build, It's replacing a Dodge 2500 Van that I use to tow my crawlers to the rocks, and then sleep there in the tow rig, so all I'm really planning is to install a jack knife couch onto the crew bench, put in Propane Heat and Electric AC (Shore Powered) put in a TV/Blu-Ray/Antenna, then convert all the storage to handle the stuff we are currently putting under the bed in the dodge. (We have an extensive Kitchen we carry with us, but we fully set it up outside now, and don't plan on changing that, other than it being under an awning attached to the Ambo).

My primary question at this time, is what have you guys done as far as adding a receiver hitch to your Ambos? I don't mind cutting away the rear bumper for clearance, but the frame extension for the box (about 12 inches on mine) makes using a factory type hitch pretty much unworkable, as it would be too far under the box, and it looks like the rear box mounts will interfere with most of the Cab&Chasis universal hitches...

Good looking rig BTW. I'd have bought a Class I if I'd not found such a deal on the III. Also the extra length would be a downside for me since I'm DDing it most weeks.

zuke

Adventurer
My type III frame goes all the way to the back.

I'd find 1/4" channel that fits reasonably tight inside the frame, and if possible overlap the frame by a couple feet. Then bolt through the frame with 6 bolts per side with oversized washers and grade 8 hardware. The hitch will fail before the frame extensions would.

I'll likely do something similar if I ever mount a heavy hitch on the back of mine... I'm a firm believer in overkill.

I like the sound of that plan, that is now the front runner for my final solution, thanks!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'd be tempted to run 1/4" plate down the outside of the frame rails instead of just washers... But that could be going too far. How much are you planning on towing?

zuke

Adventurer
Not sure that would really be going too far, I plan on towing ALOT sometimes....

Most of the time, it's a 2500lb equipment trailer and a 3000lb TJ, so that's easy. Occasionally it's a 7000lb Grand Wagoneer/Buggy on the equipment trailer, which if I get the Dana 60's done on the waggy this winter, will be a lot more frequent. and Finally, IF this proves capable (Ratings all say it can do it, but it might be to painful going up hill to tolerate) I might start towing a two car trailer with the Wife's JK and my TJ on it at the same time, so that would be close to 12,000lbs

patoz

Expedition Leader

View attachment 373462

Nothing wrong with a Type I unless you plan on rock hopping or mud bogging with it, and then the shorter wheelbase of a Type III is an advantage. There are many more OEM 4WD Type I's around, and they are much easier to convert also. Just park the ambulance next to the donor vehicle an start swapping parts.

zuke

Adventurer
Shots of the rear of the frame.

So, here are some pictures of the frame extension on my Ambo, It looks like all they did was butt weld some new chennel to the end of the frame, and it's not even parallel, so I'm not so sure of being able to bolt channel tightly inside the exiting channels. (Excuse the rust, It's all just surface rust that IU plan on cleaning up and then putting Chassis Saver over, but don't want to do that until any needed welding is done back here).

20161104_195627.jpg

20161104_195723.jpg

20161104_195729.jpg

20161104_195654.jpg

So what I'm thinking now is to make a box out of C-channel that fits into the current frame rails, and weld a receiver tube into it and then run it out through the aluminum plate over the bumper (Fourth picture is the inside back of that plate)

Anyone have any other thoughts or ideas?

rlrenz

Explorer
It looks like the frame extension may have been added by an installer after the ambulance was built - I find it hard to believe that one of the manufacturers did it.

Flat_Ernie

Observer
Here's mine.

Just started, but had to stop briefly for work. Hope to get back on it after the first of the year, but will also be building a new garage/workshop too, so it may get pushed into early spring...hopefully not.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/164433-New-Guy-New-Build-Another-Ambulance?p=2183390

No real complex wiring like these 'real' ambulances, as this was really just a patient carrier, but the box is smaller/shorter and should be just right for what I want/need. But I have to say, looking at what everyone else has done with some of these, particularly the higher end builds, is inspiring!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater