Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
RV fridges come in 12v DC, natural gas, and 120v AC and because they are more or less a specialty item (created for the RV and marine industry) they are more expensive. A standard home fridge runs on 120v AC and are relatively cheap. I run a small household, 120v AC mini-frdige/freezer combo and it works just fine on my 15amp system. The important thing is to get one in which the freezer is a separate compartment than the fridge so you can actually have frozen items and keep your non frozen items from freezing.

Here is an example of what I have:

They can be found for relatively cheap on craigslist.
That what I was thinking about, but I needed proof its possible, thanks.

flightcancled

Explorer
Not the best option if you will be running off battery power though, you'll have to power the invertor to run the fridge. Better to have a unit that runs directly off 12v for off the grid adventures.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Not the best option if you will be running off battery power though, you'll have to power the invertor to run the fridge. Better to have a unit that runs directly off 12v for off the grid adventures.

10-4 on that, Alex!

Here is some easy reading on the subject of RV refrigerators.

Head to Head: Refrigerator or cooler | Expedition Portal

Norcold Refrigerators | Products | Thetford Corporation

Indel Webasto: Isotherm Marine Refrigeration

How to Prevent Your RV Refrigerator from Exploding

huskyhauler

Adventurer

True, but remember he mentioned that he will be primarily staying in RV campgrounds with plug ins. A mini fridge is a great starter fridge for the price point. Down the road if his plans become more ambitious, and he better understands how he wants to lay out his interior, and gains a better understanding on build outs, he can put the mini fridge back on craigslist and install a DC or LP version.

flightcancled

Explorer
Ah! I missed that. Whoops!

There is a guy locally selling a 12/120/LP fridge dreams are made of for $150 with a "chewed wire". I'd have it already if he would just ANSWER HIS EMAIL!!!

yzeevy

Adventurer
I'm not sure I understood.
The inverter is the source for the 12vdc as well as the 120vac.
If I'm on the shore line then the 120vac is from there and the 12vdc is still from the inverter.
I have a generator which himself provides DC and AC.
So what I'm missing?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure I understood.
The inverter is the source for the 12vdc as well as the 120vac.
If I'm on the shore line then the 120vac is from there and the 12vdc is still from the inverter.
I have a generator which himself provides DC and AC.
So what I'm missing?

He was referring to camping in the wilderness with no electrical hookup, and running strictly off of your house batteries. He didn't realize you will have a generator also, however most people don't want to hear a generator running when they are camping in a peaceful remote location.

yzeevy

Adventurer
He was referring to camping in the wilderness with no electrical hookup, and running strictly off of your house batteries. He didn't realize you will have a generator also, however most people don't want to hear a generator running when they are camping in a peaceful remote location.
Now why would he think such a thing?!
Anyway, after a couple of adjustments, the shore line is working.
Both banks are charging. I need an electrical genius to rearrange this mess.
BTW, did you covered the new Trojans? Is there a box for both of them?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Mine will be mounted in the existing battery rollout tray where the original ambulance starting batteries were, since I no longer have any need for starting batteries.

No specific battery box for Trojan batteries that I know of, but there are generic boxes available. You will just have to search the internet until you find what you're looking for.

When locating the batteries, keep in mind lead-acid flooded batteries give off flammable gas (hydrogen and oxygen) when they are charging, therefore...

1. Batteries must not be located in any passenger compartment.

2. Batteries should not be located in any compartment containing flammable liquids or gases such as LPG due to spark hazard when connecting or disconnecting cables, or an electrical fire.

3. Batteries should not be located in any compartment containing sensitive electronics due to corrosion hazard to the equipment.

4. Battery compartments should be well ventilated to the outside atmosphere. One vent high and one low.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Ambulance Convertion - Srarted Today

That compartment where the suction pump was should fit the bill for a battery vault! You don't need a genius just get good at taking things off you don't absolutely need should get it pared down pretty quick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
AGM batteries...:26_7_2:

Ah, if only we all had your money Jeremy!
money-pile-smiley-emoticon.gif
I started with the Trojan T-105s also, but will go AGM when I have to replace them.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
AH, if only we all had your money Jeremy!
money-pile-smiley-emoticon.gif
I started with the Trojan T-106s also, but will go AGM when I have to replace them.

Oh goodness Pat LOL, as you can see above I'm just :REExeSwimmingHL: in it. <rolleyes> ;)
The AGM's aren't THAT much more. The flexibility of being able to put in the cab, sideways, etc is worth it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Oh goodness Pat LOL, as you can see above I'm just :REExeSwimmingHL: in it. <rolleyes> ;)
The AGM's aren't THAT much more. The flexibility of being able to put in the cab, sideways, etc is worth it.

I agree on the advantages, but back when I was pricing in my area, the 12VDC AGMs were going for around $325.00+ apiece and I got the 6VDC Trojans for $150.00 each. So the total of two 6VDC batteries cost me a little less than one 12VDC AGM.

However, when you figure up the Rated AH Capacity for each, the two 6VDC Trojan T-105s in series have 225 AH total and the 12VDC Lifeline Group 31T only has 105 AH. So, putting two of these in parallel still only gives you 210 AH total. Now the kicker is: Trojan T-105 @ $150.00 x 2 = $300.00 and Lifeline Group 31T @ $325.00 x 2 = $650.00.

So, I saved $325.00 and gained 15 AH by going with the 6VDC Trojans.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I agree on the advantages, but back when I was pricing in my area, the 12VDC AGMs were going for around $325.00+ apiece and I got the 6VDC Trojans for $150.00 each. So the total of two 6VDC batteries cost me a little less than one 12VDC AGM.

However, when you figure up the Rated AH Capacity for each, the two 6VDC Trojan T-105s in series have 225 AH total and the 12VDC Lifeline Group 31T only has 105 AH. So, putting two of these in parallel still only gives you 210 AH total. Now the kicker is: Trojan T-105 @ $150.00 x 2 = $300.00 and Lifeline Group 31T @ $325.00 x 2 = $650.00.

So, I saved $325.00 and gained 15 AH by going with the 6VDC Trojans.

Makes sense, but then you have 1 more component that can fail. ;)
IIRC Interstate AGM's are going for mid 200's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven