Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I agree on the advantages, but back when I was pricing in my area, the 12VDC AGMs were going for around $325.00+ apiece and I got the 6VDC Trojans for $150.00 each. So the total of two 6VDC batteries cost me a little less than one 12VDC AGM.

However, when you figure up the Rated AH Capacity for each, the two 6VDC Trojan T-105s in series have 225 AH total and the 12VDC Lifeline Group 31T only has 105 AH. So, putting two of these in parallel still only gives you 210 AH total. Now the kicker is: Trojan T-105 @ $150.00 x 2 = $300.00 and Lifeline Group 31T @ $325.00 x 2 = $650.00.

So, I saved $325.00 and gained 15 AH by going with the 6VDC Trojans.
Although it cost me $180 a piece (I know they ripped me off but I had no choice) I'm glad I bought the Trojans.
I have plenty of storage and they look like an overgrown 12V battery.
Question please, is a 3 GPM water pump is to much or too little?

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Although it cost me $180 a piece (I know they ripped me off but I hade no choice) I'm glad I bought the Trojans.

Perfect. I have a 2.5 GPM ShurFlo in my Offroad trailer, and it is awesome. Even our travel trailer uses the same unit but the 3+ GPM.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Although it cost me $180 a piece (I know they ripped me off but I had no choice) I'm glad I bought the Trojans.

$180.00 is a fair price for the Trojans, so don't feel bad. I just happened to find a deal on mine for $150.00 ea.

I agree, a 3 GPM is a good middle of the road size pump for the average application. I have a Sureflow 2.6 and a Sureflow 4.2 pump. The 2.6 is fine for a sink, but a little wimpy for a shower, and the 4.2 is overkill for just a sink, but pretty good for a shower (but then I like a good firm spray). GPM and Pressure are two different things and calculated differently, but I won't get into all that.

You should size your pump for the shower since it's the largest GPM user. The shower head itself has a lot to do with the quality of the spray you get out of it also, so you may want to do some experimenting with different heads to see what works the best. The ideal shower head is one that requires low-flow (water saver type) but at the same time still provides a good pressure spray. Also, use hose and fittings in your system that have at least a 3/8" opening, especially for the shower. The short supply lines from the main Hot and Cold supply lines to the sink faucet can be 1/4". Anything smaller anywhere else will start reducing your flow due to friction loss in the system.

yzeevy

Adventurer
$180.00 is a fair price for the Trojans, so don't feel bad. I just happened to find a deal on mine for $150.00 ea.

I agree, a 3 GPM is a good middle of the road size pump for the average application. I have a Sureflow 2.6 and a Sureflow 4.2 pump. The 2.6 is fine for a sink, but a little wimpy for a shower, and the 4.2 is overkill for just a sink, but pretty good for a shower (but then I like a good firm spray). GPM and Pressure are two different things and calculated differently, but I won't get into all that.

You should size your pump for the shower since it's the largest GPM user. The shower head itself has a lot to do with the quality of the spray you get out of it also, so you may want to do some experimenting with different heads to see what works the best. The ideal shower head is one that requires low-flow (water saver type) but at the same time still provides a good pressure spray. Also, use hose and fittings in your system that have at least a 3/8" opening, especially for the shower. The short supply lines from the main Hot and Cold supply lines to the sink faucet can be 1/4". Anything smaller anywhere else will start reducing your flow due to friction loss in the system.
Clear as usual!
I should have clarify, the cost of the batteries, the $20 isolator a couple of rearrangements, plus labor - $1305.
But its OK, it reminds my dentist.
Expensive, painful but you'll feel better later, at least for a while . . .
BTW, Shurflo have two kind of products, as far as the 3gpm.
The PN ending with E65 carries 2 years warranty and the A65 only 1 year.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Clear as usual!
I should have clarify the cost of the batteries, the $20 insulator a couple of rearrangement, plus labor - $1305.

And I should have been more clear also. My $150.00 price was at a local place, I picked them up so no shipping, and I also had two trade-ins to offset the core charges.

yzeevy

Adventurer
And I should have been more clear also. My $150.00 price was at a local place, I picked them up so no shipping, and I also had two trade-ins to offset the core charges.
Here they are, on the bottom of the "kitchen" pantry.
After installing a tight shelf they'll be safe and cozy.
Maybe I'll make a new lower hole.
20151209_111224_030.jpg
Do you know what kind of load can these two "horns" hold?
20151209_111530_028.JPG

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Light bar went up there so not much

Source of water leaks in later years and generally a pain in the *** get rid of them and seal it up right

Maybe build your own rack if you want to use the space

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Ambulance Convertion - Srarted Today

05b91347458aaf4444a711096080185d.jpg
2742f16687276059810b38ee8077fa39.jpg
aa2863a438528e5b7dce811d5ab82a82.jpg
Bottom plate comes off exposing bolt which go to nutsert s

Works good until the nutsert gives up and your back to pain in the ***

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Bottom plate comes off exposing bolt which go to nutsert s

Works good until the nutsert gives up and your back to pain in the ***

I opened the bottom plates to release the light bar.
Each arm is held by 4 big bolts, so I thought that there is a main rib there that can hold some weight.
Actually, one of the builds has a basket with a generator a couple of gericans and other stuff.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Here they are, on the bottom of the "kitchen" pantry.
After installing a tight shelf they'll be safe and cozy.
Maybe I'll make a new lower hole.
View attachment 319281
Do you know what kind of load can these two "horns" hold?
View attachment 319282

Is that the left front corner compartment the batteries are in? They look good sitting there, but you might want to install a plastic 'tray' under the batteries to catch any electrolyte solution that may seep out and run down the sides of the batteries. That solution is acidic and will corrode aluminum pretty quickly. Also, you will need to add distilled water to the batteries from time to time, and since they are not on a roll-out tray you will need access to the tops to add it.

Without looking at how the light bar supports are mounted, it's hard to say. I'm guessing they are mounted with 3/8" bolts and probably go into the 2" x 2" frame in the wall. If so, I would guess they would support 50-60 lbs, easily and probably more. What do you have in mind for them?

yzeevy

Adventurer
Is that the left front corner compartment the batteries are in? They look good sitting there, but you might want to install a plastic 'tray' under the batteries to catch any electrolyte solution that may seep out and run down the sides of the batteries. That solution is acidic and will corrode aluminum pretty quickly. Also, you will need to add distilled water to the batteries from time to time, and since they are not on a roll-out tray you will need access to the tops to add it.

Without looking at how the light bar supports are mounted, it's hard to say. I'm guessing they are mounted with 3/8" bolts and probably go into the 2" x 2" frame in the wall. If so, I would guess they would support 50-60 lbs, easily and probably more. What do you have in mind for them?
Its the Oxygen compartment behind the driver seat.
I think of two ways to put there a shelf.
A shelf held in place with screws from up

A shelf with a door in the middle might be a nice touch.
I thought to install a line hinge on one of the sides but the shelves legs wont let me to lift it.
About the rack, it's obvious nothing heavier then I could lift and remove easy by myself.
A ladder for instance or stuff used occasionally.
It just crossed my mind, how can I remove a ladder without a ladder, and how can I lift up a ladder
while I'm standing on it?! Geeee! Mission Impossible

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven