Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Lacquer is too 'hot' and will more than likely dissolve or soften the acrylic lenses.

Why do you need to destroy the lenses by painting them? Painted lenses are the ugliest things I've ever seen.

Send me those and I'll send you some old ones you can paint.
I don't want to paint / destroy or dissolve them but I can't have emergency lenses installed.
That what I was told.
Do you have standard clear lenses? I'll be glad to switch mine with yours

yzeevy

Adventurer
Back when I drove military vehicles, you could drive until 2 wheel wouldn't go any farther, then 4 wheel until you couldn't go any farther, them 4 wheel low transfer until you couldn't go any farther. Since your PTO winch was on the front, you could drag the truck even farther. And that's why you NEVER drove off road unless you had more than one vehicle in your group.

MANY, many moons ago, I also had a D-8 dozer. Now that was fun to drive off road. Another fun off road rig is an Army M88 recovery vehicle. That's a little extreme for most folks, but boy were they fun to drive
Back in 1973, when I drove military vehicles, I was sent with a D9 to disconnect the
railroad track going from Port Said to Suez city along the Suez canal. It took me an
hour to get there, turned around, reversed to the tracks, lowered the rear "finger" and start pulling.
Apparently someone made a very good job (I think it was from the British Empire era) because the damn thing refused to disconnect and I created a triangle with a half mile base. At this point I have decided that no train will be able to pass and I returned back to base.

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
I don't want to paint / destroy or dissolve them but I can't have emergency lenses installed.
That what I was told.
Do you have standard clear lenses? I'll be glad to switch mine with yours

Ha, we're all looking for clear lenses in good shape!

I have two sets of lights in various condition. I'll look tomorrow to see exactly what I have, and what might work. I'll PM you and let you know.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Wrap the lenses in vinyl. It's transparent but will change the output color of the light. You can change them all to amber and be legal. It's cheap and non-permanent. It just requires a heat gun (or hair dryer) and some patience. Or, keep the aluminum caps and paint them the color of the box and be done with it.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A39kVmDkc4
There are many other like this one

What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to change the color of the lenses from red to a non-emergency color, but still have the lenses flash red, or are you trying to have the lenses flash a non-emergency color?

If you paint the lenses like in the youtube video you provide they will still flash whatever color the original lens was.

yzeevy

Adventurer
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to change the color of the lenses from red to a non-emergency color, but still have the lenses flash red, or are you trying to have the lenses flash a non-emergency color?

If you paint the lenses like in the youtube video you provide they will still flash whatever color the original lens was.
I'm still learning the issue but you are right, I want to change the E colors but still have some transparency.
If I paint yellow on blue I get greenish, on red I get orange and the amber is legal.

Observer
Go over to the elightbars.com forum, you might be able to trade for what you want or find a deal to purchase for fairly cheap.

patoz

Expedition Leader

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
As the world turns...........
Still no answer to why the five figure increase in price...

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Can you be more precise?
Are you interested in buying?

Well since you asked.......as I mentioned previously, an ExPo member/friend and I were very interested in it when it was on Craigslist the first time.
But then we found the asking price on the FentonFire website and were a bit taken aback as to your still-unexplained $10k+ increase for your Craigslist price(which is the same $30k Craigslist price you're asking now, after your "modifications");
2002 Ford F450 4x4 Ambulance (R1591)
seats 2 • Automatic • 4x4
Sold! $20,000.00
click here to learn more about our 2002 Ford F450 4x4 Ambulance (R1591)
Used Fire Trucks: 2002 Ford F450 4x4 Ambulance (R1591)
7539_3a.jpg
http://www.fentonfire.com/used_ambulances/listing.php?lid=7539
http://www.fentonfire.com/used_ambulances/

.......and now what was probably considered a unicorn of Type1 4x4's found in the early 21st century has been hacked up. And you're still asking the same 50%+ increase over Fenton price as you were before the "customizing."

For those of us who value uber clean and unmolested rigs, this is so incredibly sad to see yzeevy, I do hope you realize this. :( :mad:
I still hope the rig goes to a good home in the end and is fixed properly.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
The bad thing is, it was probably worth at least somewhere around that $20k as a used Ambulance. In it's current state its no longer suitable as an ambulance and most likely worth considerably less. I kind of feel for the OP but I'm thinking he didn't buy this one right. He paid ambulance price, when he should have been looking to pay "retired" ambulance price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven