Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Yeah, that industrial grade velcro is some good stuff. When I first tried to remove my crew bench back, I studied it for a while and then started just pulling on it. I finally had to put my foot against the wall and then pull to get it to come loose.

I haven't removed any of the velcro, because I'm not at that point yet, so I can't really help you with the glue removal. I bought a couple of rolls of the velcro to use in other places, and it has it's own adhesive backing that you just peel and stick, so I'm assuming this is the glue you're dealing with. Is it soft and sticky or hard and dry?

The only thing I can suggest is, if it's hard and dry you may be able to carefully apply some mild heat from a heat gun or hair dryer, and then try some solvent of some type. If it has a thick build up, you may have to scrape or sand it down as much as possible first.

Good luck and let me know what works.
I wish it was hard and dry, I could chip it off.
It's a very stubborn sticky stuff.
I'll try the heating gun although I don't have one.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Here is something you may find useful when choosing your refrigerator...

What Type Of Refrigerator Should You Use In Your RV?

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/what-type-of-refrigerator-should-you-use-in-your-rv/
Thanks! I have a problem deciding on a cooktop . . .
Any way, from what I read so far, besides the power source and options, RV'ers are changing to FULL size
refrigerators because the dedicated fridges are quite problematic and very expensive.
I'm going on a $300, 2 door, 4.5cf Frigidaire (although I don't like their door design, too much space wasted on cans).
I have the perfect space for it and as far as power source I think a 100w solar panel will do the trick.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Are you looking to cook in your rig, or outside of your rig? That can have a lot of influence on the design and safety requirements. Cooking inside your rig will (well, it should) require a safe backsplash and some sort of hood vent. Otherwise you'll steam up the inside of your box.

I chose to cook outside my rig. I used one of the outside compartments with two doors to build a collapsible shelf between the doors. I purchased a relatively cheap propane oven with a two burner stove top from Costco. It's made by Camp Chef and it came with a griddle. I think it was around $150 or so and has held up surprisingly well with moderate use over the past two years. Everything collapses away in the outside compartment and set ups quickly.

I like the setup for a couple of reasons. One, I like to be outside as much as possible while camping. Two, I'm not able to fully stand up inside my rig so performing tasks that take some time, such as preparing and cooking meals, gets uncomfortable while hunched over inside the box. Three, having the cook station outside allows for more usable space inside as I don't have a dedicated place for cooking.

12043103_1169827849697544_8968414569177426048_n.jpg

yzeevy

Adventurer
Are you looking to cook in your rig, or outside of your rig? That can have a lot of influence on the design and safety requirements. Cooking inside your rig will (well, it should) require a safe backsplash and some sort of hood vent. Otherwise you'll steam up the inside of your box.

I chose to cook outside my rig. I used one of the outside compartments with two doors to build a collapsible shelf between the doors. I purchased a relatively cheap propane oven with a two burner stove top from Costco. It's made by Camp Chef and it came with a griddle. I think it was around $150 or so and has held up surprisingly well with moderate use over the past two years. Everything collapses away in the outside compartment and set ups quickly.

I like the setup for a couple of reasons. One, I like to be outside as much as possible while camping. Two, I'm not able to fully stand up inside my rig so performing tasks that take some time, such as preparing and cooking meals, gets uncomfortable while hunched over inside the box. Three, having the cook station outside allows for more usable space inside as I don't have a dedicated place for cooking.
20160102_140129_055.JPG
That is my "first draft" of my kitchen, 25dx35w
The black piece is the size of the planned cooktop, placed vertically.
Next to it will be the sink.
Personally I prefer inside cooking (I don't want anybody to steal my recipes :)) with occasional outside BBQ.
The camping oven is a nice touch but it is too wide for my setup.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
You might think of installing a fold-out food prep table to the left of the cabinet. It can be mounted on a horizontal hinge at the corner of the counter. When it is deployed it would extend the surface of the counter, and to stow it away it would simply fold down and hang vertically against the side of the cabinet. That will give you some more surface area to prep and cook, but also fold out of the way when appropriate.

iPhonepicsJan11105.jpg

yzeevy

Adventurer
You might think of installing a fold-out food prep table to the left of the cabinet. It can be mounted on a horizontal hinge at the corner of the counter. When it is deployed it would extend the surface of the counter, and to stow it away it would simply fold down and hang vertically against the side of the cabinet. That will give you some more surface area to prep and cook, but also fold out of the way when appropriate.
Great idea, I was planning to put one in front of the attendant seat. Thanks.

yzeevy

Adventurer
My AMBO is for sale ! ! !

I want to thank for all the advises I received, you really helped me a lot.
A special thank to PATOZ for his professionalism ! ! !
Unfortunately I came to a final conclusion that this project is too much and too big for me.
The price includes:
All the emergency lights, rear AC components and accessories.
Westinghouse wh2000ixlt generator.
Two house Trojan t-105 plus, 6v, 225ah batteries.
Kussmaul Auto Charge Dual Status Center, Model #: 091-189-2-12
Stromberg Carlson, SMFP 2120 Dual step (not installed yet).
- $27,950k
Please follow the link to my add on Craigslist.
https://post.craigslist.org/manage/5427002640/udwyw
Thank you all.

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I want to thank for all the advises I received, you really helped me a lot.
A special thank to PATOZ for his professionalism ! ! !
Unfortunately I came to a final conclusion that this project is too much and too big for me.
I'm including ALL the emergency lights the accessories and the generator in the sale - $30k
Please follow the link to my add on Craigslist.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/5368479102.html
Thank you all.

Ugh, you're selling it once again, but this time with it cut up? Sorry to see. :( Would have been nice to have sold it all together and original for the new owner.
Can you advise why you're selling it for so much more than it was advertised on the ambo site?--did you add something after you purchased it?
Still a very clean looking Type1!
GLWS

rlrenz

Explorer
Lottsa luck at that price - you may have priced yourself out of the market.

I paid just over $20,000 for my refurbished Medic Master/Freightliner ambulance when I bought it from Global Emergency Vehicles - that included changing all the fluids & filters, a new 270 amp alternator, a new air compressor, a new air conditioning compressor, a new Vanner inverter/charger, two new mounted/balanced tires, all the red/blue light lenses replaced with clear/amber, all the "ambulance" lettering removed (as per PA law, and all the electrical systems checked out. The ambulance met all the requirements to be approved as an operational ambulance.

I went that route to save time and money -- the dealer could get a better price on the things that were replaced than I could (price a 270 amp alternator sometime...), and I wanted as good a chance as I could that I'd be able to drive it more than 2000 miles back home.

Best of luck on your sale.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Lottsa luck at that price - you may have priced yourself out of the market.

I paid just over $20,000 for my refurbished Medic Master/Freightliner ambulance when I bought it from Global Emergency Vehicles - that included changing all the fluids & filters, a new 270 amp alternator, a new air compressor, a new air conditioning compressor, a new Vanner inverter/charger, two new mounted/balanced tires, all the red/blue light lenses replaced with clear/amber, all the "ambulance" lettering removed (as per PA law, and all the electrical systems checked out. The ambulance met all the requirements to be approved as an operational ambulance.

I went that route to save time and money -- the dealer could get a better price on the things that were replaced than I could (price a 270 amp alternator sometime...), and I wanted as good a chance as I could that I'd be able to drive it more than 2000 miles back home.

Best of luck on your sale.
I guess your truck is a type III without 4x4?!
Get back latter and tell us how much cost you the conversion . . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven