Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

patoz

Expedition Leader
I assume the ‘Double Step' you're talking about is for the side entrance door, right?

I would like to add a single to mine but if I lift it any at all, which I may need to do, then I'll need to add a double step. Since I've not purchased or installed a set myself, I'm going to let the other guys who have already done this answer this one so I can see what they did also. I kind of like the electric models, but it depends on how far they hang down in the folded position and how much current they draw.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I assume the ‘Double Step' you're talking about is for the side entrance door, right?

I would like to add a single to mine but if I lift it any at all, which I may need to do, then I'll need to add a double step. Since I've not purchased or installed a set myself, I'm going to let the other guys who have already done this answer this one so I can see what they did also. I kind of like the electric models, but it depends on how far they hang down in the folded position and how much current they draw.
I already ordered a single step, but after measuring the 7 inches drop I realized that it
wont do any good. I need at least 10 inches drop. Since there is no such I need two steps.
My fear is I'll forget to close it and hit something or someone but the electrical is sooooo expensive.
Luckily I managed to cancel the order.

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Pat, I could use your AMBO veteran expertise again.
I took yesterday the truck to the mechanic to remove the air hose and for a overnight
battery recharge (they were practically empty).
This morning he calls me that there is another leak.
20151223_140435_037.JPG
I guess this is the Air Dump valve (it is with string attached :))

The air is running thru the gasket.
Is this is a Ford OEM or AMBO addition?
Do I need it at all?

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Did you follow the link? That's Bus Depot, which is a US company, reselling parts here. I've ordered those exact hinges from them.
Fits Vehicles:
Bus (Type 2)
•1950-1979 Vanagon
•Air Cooled : 1980-1983
•Diesel : 1981-1984
•1.9 Liter : 1983-1985
•2.1 Liter : 1986-1991
•Syncro : 1986-1991
They are for Volkswagen as I understand.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Pat, I could use your AMBO veteran expertise again.
I took yesterday the truck to the mechanic to remove the air hose and for a overnight
battery recharge (they were practically empty).
This morning he calls me that there is another leak.
View attachment 321061
I guess this is the Air Dump valve (it is with string attached :))

The air is running thru the gasket.
Is this is a Ford OEM or AMBO addition?
Do I need it at all?

That probably is the air dump valve and it may also be the automatic air tank condensate drain, or a combination of both. None of the ambulance units I drove had this feature, but the Fire Trucks did.

The whole purpose of the air dump system is to lower the rear of the ambulance to make it easier to load the stretcher in the back.

Federal Specification for the Star-of-Life Ambulance KKK-A-1822F
July 1, 2007 - GSA Automotive

3.4.11.7 FLOOR HEIGHT.
The finished floor (loading) height shall be a maximum of 34 in. The height of the floor shall be measured with the vehicle loaded per AMD Standard 017

Since your's is 4WD, it probably sits higher than a standard 2WD version, making this a necessity for ambulance operation. This system was probably added by Wheeled Coach to meet the requirements, and is not necessary for the operation of the truck itself.

I would check to see what kind of air compressor you have, either fully electric or mechanical mounted on the engine somewhere. Since you have airbags on the rear suspension, this is what is used to pump them back up after an air dump. It probably has a valve or set of valves in the cab to adjust the ride height as well. If not, then they are easy enough to add.

Even thought you may not need the rear 'squat' feature, with a little modification of a regulator and hose, the air system is useful for many other things, like inflating tires, air mattresses, beach toys, powering air horns, and general 'dusting' after a long sandy trail. Most of us are trying desperately to find, purchase, and install a system like that for those purposes.

Personally, there is no way I would remove that system.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Since your's is 4WD, it probably sits higher than a standard 2WD version, making this a necessity for ambulance operation. This system was probably added by Wheeled Coach to meet the requirements, and is not necessary for the operation of the truck itself.

I would check to see what kind of air compressor you have, either fully electric or mechanical mounted on the engine somewhere. Since you have airbags on the rear suspension, this is what is used to pump them back up after an air dump. It probably has a valve or set of valves in the cab to adjust the ride height as well. If not, then they are easy enough to add.

Even thought you may not need the rear 'squat' feature, with a little modification of a regulator and hose, the air system is useful for many other things, like inflating tires, air mattresses, beach toys, powering air horns, and general 'dusting' after a long sandy trail. Most of us are trying desperately to find, purchase, and install a system like that for those purposes.

Personally, there is no way I would remove that system.
Ohhh my, you're really something.
The compressor is located in one of the compartments and thanks to
you I'm going to install an air outlet to be able to do all the mentioned.
My LOWER BACK will be happy with an Air/Hydraulic jack.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Ha, I didn't even think of the Air/Hydraulic jack, which is actually something I need. Good catch!

yzeevy

Adventurer
This is the Kussmaul batteries status monitor I installed two days ago.
20151224_105645_039.JPG
Every day I find something new.
Compressor air pressure check point.
20151224_105448_038.JPG
And that's the compressor the AMBO came with.
20151224_112333_040.JPG
Performance Summary

Max Flow (50 Hz) - 2.1 cfm (3.6 m3/h)
Max Flow (60 Hz) - 2.1 cfm (3.6 m3/h)
Max Pressure - 100 psi (7 bar)
Max Vacuum - NA (NA)
Power Rating - 1/4 hp (0.19 kW)

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Nice job on installing the battery monitor! :)

attachment.php

I have these valve stems on my ambulance as well, however their purpose is just to add or release air to each individual airbag on the rear axle. I don't have the lowering system or even an onboard compressor, but I will be adding one at some point.

Your best bet is probably to just get under it and trace all of the hoses to see where they go, and that will tell you a lot about how the system operates. Do you have any air controls/valves in the cab or switches for the air system on the control panel?

patoz

Expedition Leader
Happy Holidays and a great new year, everyone ! ! :coffee:

Same to you, and looking forward to some great progress on both our builds!

Would you do me a favor sometime this weekend if you get a chance? Would you take some good detailed pictures from various angles of your center console in the cab, especially how it fits the dash, inbetween the seats, how far back it extends, etc. My tow vehicle is a 2004 F250 and I've located a console in a 2006 Wheeled Coach that has been wrecked, and it looks like it's the same thing you have. You and I have the same dash and interior, but in 2005 Ford made some changes to the dashboard, gauges, and revised the interior some. Hopefully, the dash frame and floorboard stayed the same.

You can just post them here, and I'll copy them. Thanks!

yzeevy

Adventurer
Nice job on installing the battery monitor! :)

I have these valve stems on my ambulance as well, however their purpose is just to add or release air to each individual airbag on the rear axle. I don't have the lowering system or even an onboard compressor, but I will be adding one at some point.

Your best bet is probably to just get under it and trace all of the hoses to see where they go, and that will tell you a lot about how the system operates. Do you have any air controls/valves in the cab or switches for the air system on the control panel?
I used the place of the thermometer to install the monitor.
Monday my mechanic will replace the gasket in the leaking valve and install an air coupling.
I want to ask him to move the compressor BUT . . .
20151225_123622_042.jpg
The compressor was installed hanging from a shelf.
I understand they wanted to use bolts and nuts, but why up side down?
There is plenty of space to install it ON the shelf.
Maybe that's how it's suppose to be? Like a Bat?

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Same to you, and looking forward to some great progress on both our builds!

Would you do me a favor sometime this weekend if you get a chance? Would you take some good detailed pictures from various angles of your center console in the cab, especially how it fits the dash, inbetween the seats, how far back it extends, etc. My tow vehicle is a 2004 F250 and I've located a console in a 2006 Wheeled Coach that has been wrecked, and it looks like it's the same thing you have. You and I have the same dash and interior, but in 2005 Ford made some changes to the dashboard, gauges, and revised the interior some. Hopefully, the dash frame and floorboard stayed the same.

You can just post them here, and I'll copy them. Thanks!
NO PROBLEM!

patoz

Expedition Leader
The compressor was installed hanging from a shelf.
I understand they wanted to use bolts and nuts, but why up side down?
There is plenty of space to install it ON the shelf.
Maybe that's how it's suppose to be? Like a Bat?

Just ask yourself the reverse of that question. Why mount it on a shelf and take up very valuable storage space, when you can mount it up and out of the way. When we load out one of these units to meet the Federal requirements, there is no left over space to play with.

However, looking at your picture, it could have been mounted on top of the shelf it's mounted to now, but then it would be in the way of getting to the electrical components and wiring if they needed to be serviced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven