AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
Do you have pans for a collapsible table between the benches? I have an idea in mind but would have to sketch it out for it to make sense. The table would be permanently mounted, but would fold down and sit flat and flush on top of your center drawer top.
I'd be curious to see your sketch! I'm thinking to have a table top that can double as the base for my kids bed up front. I always try to have everything double purpose when it comes to small campers :)

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
How much of a gain does Diamond Eye claim their exhaust will give you? I've got stock 3.5" with and without a CAT... tempted to swap to the exhaust with no CAT, but don't know if it's worth the trouble.

You could likely sell plans for the conversion once you've got all of the bugs worked out.

I don't know if I would pull the cabinets out of mine... I'd loose so much storage... but gain so much more space to work with. I'll have to see how your's turns out.
I'm not sure of their claims but diesels like to breath so I went ahead with it. You can better hear the turbo now so I guess it serves its purpose. I don't have proper gauges yet to monitor the differences...

Wich conversion are you thinking about? I really enjoy planning and building campers, not sure if it could put bread on my table but it's a fun hobby! :)

Cheers
David

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm planning to build a 'Murphy Bed' over the passenger side rear wheels. It'll have a desk/table that folds down off the bottom when it's folded against the wall. The kids have Captain chairs which recline flat, and they can spin them rearward to rest their feet on the foot of the double bed. I've got a 12V cooler installed in one of the existing cabinets. Cooking will be outside under the rear mounted awning.

I want to cut down the 8' wide awning that came on the Ambo so that it doesn't stick out beyond the width of the truck (more like a 7' awning). It cranks out about 4' and doesn't require any supports. If I get fancy, I'll have some sort of table that folds down or mounts to the back for cooking... but more likely I'll back it up to a picnic table and call it a day.

The rig is already wired for 110v, heat, and lights... not much more to do other than bring a shovel and a roll of 2 ply.

I'm not planning on a true camper, more of a hard sided tent with an 8" thick memory foam mattress. It'll have a minimalist camper, but that will allow for maximum function as an office, hauler, and generally handy vehicle. Every design has it's trade offs... In our case, why limit function for the entire year for something that we'll only use a few days of the year.

Abitibi

Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. I too considered the Murphy bed, even thought of blocking the rear door access for more interior versatility but at the end I went with the dinette for the great view when both doors are opened and more.

Because it was asked earlier, here's a better picture of the Pyro probe...

013550a7301174f1af4f8dcfffe1b1f9.jpg

Last night I fixed my winch cable, installed my Ham radio and setup my Solar panels. I'm heading out to the NWOR tomorrow after work so trying to finish a few final projects tonight. Not too confident I'll be done on time! Hahaha!

Cheers
David

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Which brand of PYRO gauge did you use? How do you like it? Would you recommend it?

I don't have one, but I probably should get one someday... I don't tow, or run it hard so I've not worried about it to much.

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Don't block your rear access doors! The rear access doors are one of the greatest features of ambos. It makes hauling, buildouts, loading, and unloading much easier, plus the views and airflow when the doors are open is like nothing else.

Abitibi

Explorer
Exactly why I quickly scratched that idea, way too practical to have those big doors at the back!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
David, do you also have stretcher hangers coming down from ceiling?

They'd make for a good way to hang kayak(s) from the roof/wall. They'd keep them up and out of the way.

Abitibi

Explorer
Which brand of PYRO gauge did you use? How do you like it? Would you recommend it?

I don't have one, but I probably should get one someday... I don't tow, or run it hard so I've not worried about it to much.
To be honest I'm not even sure as I grabbed it from a buddy who didn't have use for it. The probe didn't work but I had an extra one, all worked out! My last one was an Autometer and never had a single issue with it, it was analog. This one is digital and works great.

It sure is nice to have that tool while on a roadtrip!

Abitibi

Explorer
I've managed to get both my Trail 90s and two kayaks in the back of mine. The key is stacking the kayaks on the passenger side bench and strapping them in place.
I put a drawer between my benches for extra storage but for hauling purposes I made it removable so I can still load tall items. So far so good!

I remember trying to load one of my kayaks in my old Subaru station-wagon back when kayaks were way longer. It almost fitted until I slammed the hatch and watch my windshield explode! That's not gonna happen again, I managed to load 16' long lumber recently :)

Abitibi

Explorer
David, do you also have stretcher hangers coming down from ceiling?

They'd make for a good way to hang kayak(s) from the roof/wall. They'd keep them up and out of the way.
I did but it's long gone. With the ambo structure being so strong (2x2 square tubing every 14" or so) I'm thinking to mount a roofrack directly on the roof instead of using the typical rain gutter mounts...

Abitibi

Explorer
I used to have these ugly side markers, painted over when the ambo got decommissioned. Removing them left me with one big nasty hole. Fortunately I found some trailer backup lights that fit perfectly. They turned out to be pretty handy too!

fe6c5f9fd1c2458d372fb4f26c963805.jpg

69334987d0bfc5e11122bbc3fbd79356.jpg

63957115fa2b2674723da1402d0807c4.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
While securing the ceiling material I used some leftover airline tiedowns which lined up perfectly to hang a couple hammocks. These were an instant hit with my friend's little one :)

31be67a4b0f77938d651716358232043.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven