AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi guys.

A lot has happened recently. Finally got Agile to convert my ambo to 4x4 (more pics and details to follow) and what an amazing ride! No complaints on the paved road (just as expected) but hit the dirt and it becomes alive! Had to take her out on a date in the country as soon as I got home :)

0a002b1429df55caa71ae189182c3ffd.jpg

I long considered installing Solar panels on the roof (and it may still happen) but I like to park in the shade so instead I bought some portable panels and made a 25' extension so they can shine in the sun while I rest in the shade. It's also easier to adjust them to better face the sun and maximize their efficiency. Now I needed a place to store them and they ain't small! (two 80w panels). Found a sweet spot for them on my spare electrical door. Easy in or out, out of the way and secured.

Took the aluminum skin out to secure mounting points. I put a wide L bracket (padded) at the bottom and two airline hooks at the top and bottom, simple and strong.

1796c7ed6f548dd1cc903ab8b83e3d1c.jpg

Then put it back together, done! (I'll post a picture of it deployed next time I use it)

c855c0da7212fe7b4219a4e7bf5d655e.jpg

So my dear wife who's not a fan of camping has been a good sport lately and came on our road trip to Southern California with our two boys. She actually enjoyed the ambo but wanted a toilet. I had to kiss goodbye my faithful shovel and replaced it with a stinky pottie (or so do my kids call it). It usually rides secured at the back but overnight it fits nicely at the front.

fea504922bf3d2e8d6232ee686978279.jpg

She had two more requests to ease her life. Shower and microwave. Oh dear! Microwave will have to wait as I wasn't looking to install one but the shower was on the list. This one is only temporary as i have an Espar in the process. Since I had this propane one and we need hot water for next weekend i went at it. Might keep it as a backup system later on, who knows... Removed the door skin, re-insulated the door and mounted the heater.

6d7d3e4a16e49b124d970c46aea432d8.jpg

3edbedd6f8d5a19b6760221a0f59098e.jpg

Just below the solar panel on the opposite side I have my 22g water tank and now added a filter, water pump and a few more bits to ease the shower process. This gives a better idea of what's to come once the Espar project is dealt with...

8fe6616cc36ae3d1191768187dbd01bb.jpg

To be continued :)

Cheers
David

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
What do you currently have for a heater? I know it gets cold up where you are.
There's a heater at the back with a 3 speed fan (when engine running) but once the Espar Install is complete then I'll use the espar to power that rear heater (radiator style heater). But for now nothing once I turn the engine off. I'm in Vancouver so not really cold here :)

Sorry for the crappy Pic but that's all I got for now.

b6914221be643202ceb9f775b40c1654.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
What do you currently have for a heater? I know it gets cold up where you are.

It doesn't really get cold where we are... just mild year round. Although by Florida standards, I Guess it is, because we might need to put on a jacket or wear a fleece.

FDM2012

Adventurer
It seems as though the Espar with an auxiliary tank is the way to go. I will probably put it on my shopping list......

Abitibi

Explorer
If you don't want to "enjoy" the sights and sounds of people using the stinky potty in the ambulance, you might consider picking up a shower tent as a portbale port-o-potty. It's lightweight and collapsible enough it'll stow easily, and it will provide a bit of privacy and get the potty outside.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161381204995?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true
Very simple and helpful piece of kit! I got one of those pop-up shower enclosure that I use when camped for a few days. I also put the potty in there and don't bother to remove it when I shower since it's all plastic and doubles as a seat to scrub feet :)

Abitibi

Explorer
It seems as though the Espar with an auxiliary tank is the way to go. I will probably put it on my shopping list......
Yes, can't wait to get mine going but I'm doing it the hard way so it will take a bit longer until it's ready :(

luthj

Engineer In Residence

shauniscndn

Adventurer
Love the Ambo Mr.D & you have answered a question about BC ambulances since I started watching the 4x4 van thread.. With the rear flare removed single wheel looks and fits Killer.. Excellent job look forward to seeing the conversion pics hearing more about it.

Now I want one lol.. Hmmmmm my vehicle add kicking in even worse now

Shaun

Stitebunny

Adventurer
Hi Abitibi,
Your truck is looking nice!
I was wondering if you had any pictures of the mods you did to the front bumper to make it work? Was it fairly easy to make some new mounts for it to fit?

And how are you liking the headlights now that you have some use with them?

For the front I modified a F350 bumper, cut the ends about 2" shorter, added a bushguard and built new mounts. I was glad to see the fit was right on, turned out great. I also added some HID lights and my 12,000lbs Warn. I got a synthetic line waiting to be mounted but I'm not finished wiring the winch so that's gotta wait.

d1a5d173b1e175fb504346a1573f6444.jpg

0f27fcf50415e8183617c904934ac84a.jpg

While at it I decided to upgrade the headlight situation. Got these from Rigid. If anyone is looking these are the same as Truck-Lite but for a better price (didn't Rigid buy out Truck-Lite?)

fe15aaf23a8b8a8d4968f1b71aac85f7.jpg

Randall Dee

Huge Member
Abitibi,
Thanks for steering me to the thread. I totally missed it. Your van is super cool. I'm looking forward to seeing the progression forward. I do some winter stuff and would be tempted to stick a Kimberly wood stove in one of those back corners.

But then I might never make it home. :)

Abitibi

Explorer
Love the Ambo Mr.D & you have answered a question about BC ambulances since I started watching the 4x4 van thread.. With the rear flare removed single wheel looks and fits Killer.. Excellent job look forward to seeing the conversion pics hearing more about it.

Now I want one lol.. Hmmmmm my vehicle add kicking in even worse now

Shaun
Thanks Shaun

Glad I could help without even trying, Hahaha! As you probably noticed, I swapped the rear dually for a Sterling 10.5 and didn't have to use any spacer or wheel adapter to get the actual stance. The wheels are still a little tucked in but it works. I still wonder if I should/could have kept my old axle and remove the dually adopters to run them as single. They would have been wider than the Sterling...

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi Abitibi,
Your truck is looking nice!
I was wondering if you had any pictures of the mods you did to the front bumper to make it work? Was it fairly easy to make some new mounts for it to fit?

And how are you liking the headlights now that you have some use with them?

For the front I modified a F350 bumper, cut the ends about 2" shorter, added a bushguard and built new mounts. I was glad to see the fit was right on, turned out great. I also added some HID lights and my 12,000lbs Warn. I got a synthetic line waiting to be mounted but I'm not finished wiring the winch so that's gotta wait.

d1a5d173b1e175fb504346a1573f6444.jpg

0f27fcf50415e8183617c904934ac84a.jpg

While at it I decided to upgrade the headlight situation. Got these from Rigid. If anyone is looking these are the same as Truck-Lite but for a better price (didn't Rigid buy out Truck-Lite?)

fe15aaf23a8b8a8d4968f1b71aac85f7.jpg
Thanks Stitebunny.

Building new brackets was fairly straightforward and definitely worth it if you can find a nice and cheap F350 bumper.
For the Headlights, love them! Do I need to say more? :)

These are the only pics I found... Hope it helps.

a86ac882534b24ead06f88824b5a2651.jpg

19669c03bd3edd954649513eae67d8cd.jpg

f4adda6bd78c69d0e85070ea4368ad69.jpg

These brackets by themselves aren't strong enough but helped line up everything to get started...

e5d5e84325b22c31d5dcff5a7c2f4b7f.jpg

Cheers
David

tgreening

Expedition Leader
When you replaced those side marker lights, what function are they wired into? Mine have never functioned because the bulbs were pulled when I bought it and I never put any in, so I have no idea how they work. In any case....

When I pulled them in prep for paint the passenger side light is a bit busted up on the inside re the mounting screw area so I either have to fix them or find something to replace them with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven