An Axe - Seriously?

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Those are just the shovel's I had in the drawer during the time of the picture, it now contains 2 short handled shovels, and a German Military folding type. Besides...space...is not an issue... :Wow1:

Field Photos (42) (Medium).JPGField Photos (41) (Medium).JPGField Photos (39) (Medium).JPG

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I carry a simple 3/4 axe. 'Be prepared' as they say.

In N.Cal. Felled trees blocking the trail are a common occurrence and a chainsaw is the easiest way to remove smaller ones. Any larger and we use a tow strap with the appropriate pressure applied to the skinny pedal to remove the tree.:ylsmoke:

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Here we go, As I mentioned here are pictures of my Paratech Top Cut axe, its matching Hoolian tool, and my Biel rescue tool

2011-08-16 18.22.22.jpg2011-08-16 18.12.09.jpg2011-08-16 18.21.37.jpg2011-08-16 18.21.55.jpg

RandomAbstract

Adventurer
I'm not sure because I have never met a Zombie. However, aren't they slow enough that they could be dispatched with a lightweight bow saw?

(I carry a camp axe, but mostly for making kindling. Never thought to strap it to my fender.)

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
I bet you spent more on all those tools than the entire Mog.

If so, that is skill.

Nah, I buy most of my stuff surplus or on sale cheap. The giant snatch blocks for instance were NOS, retail at $800each, I paid $100 each :) The pick axe's were free, but I had to buy new handles ($15 each) ect. Patient's and lots of searching usually lead to cheap deals on good equipment. Never pay retail for tools!

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
NOS snatch blocks for $800??? WOW I just found like 10 - 15 ton NOS blocks for $159 and Brand new 15 ton Warns for $224. IDk what their 30ton goes for but I bet it is not $800

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
A Warn 15 ton snatch block is not in the same league as a McKrissik, the warn's are toys in comparision, the McKissik is rated for lifting, all day long, and the WLL has at least a x4 saftey factor.

A warn 15k block is great for your jeep, but a 13k Unimog needs a little more serious tool.

And as I said, that's RETAIL price for a McKissik in the same model, not what I paid.

Look at the side of the Warn "big" snatch blocks, the red ones, note that the WLL (Working Load Limit) says 6 TON, yet they rate it at 15 ton? That's because there into the safety factor of that snatch block.

Here's the Warn they rate at 33,000lbs, but note it says 6 ton cast right into the side of it

And a picture of my McKissik Snatch blocks, (Blue ones) for comparision.

The Warn's are also made in China, and available from several different companys with different ratings.

Attachments

• warn.jpg
    warn.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Snatch Blocks.jpg
    Snatch Blocks.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

DesertJK

Adventurer
Come to think of it, the only time I have used my Ax in a while is once when I got ****y service at a little ma and pa dinner in Oregon. I went back in with the ax and busted the place up while my wife shot the crap out of their neon sign outside.

JKDetonator

Adventurer
Come to think of it, the only time I have used my Ax in a while is once when I got ****y service at a little ma and pa dinner in Oregon. I went back in with the ax and busted the place up while my wife shot the crap out of their neon sign outside.

....and that closes this thread.....:Wow1:

bfdiesel

Explorer
Honestly I have used my ax every time I have gone out into the woods this year. Also I have wished I had my chainsaw every time too.

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
A Warn 15 ton snatch block is not in the same league as a McKrissik, the warn's are toys in comparision, the McKissik is rated for lifting, all day long, and the WLL has at least a x4 saftey factor.

A warn 15k block is great for your jeep, but a 13k Unimog needs a little more serious tool.

And as I said, that's RETAIL price for a McKissik in the same model, not what I paid.

Look at the side of the Warn "big" snatch blocks, the red ones, note that the WLL (Working Load Limit) says 6 TON, yet they rate it at 15 ton? That's because there into the safety factor of that snatch block.

Here's the Warn they rate at 33,000lbs, but note it says 6 ton cast right into the side of it

And a picture of my McKissik Snatch blocks, (Blue ones) for comparision.

The Warn's are also made in China, and available from several different companys with different ratings.

What weight capacity are the ones you have?I got to thinking about the rig and your actual needs. @ 13000LBS your winch should be able to do 19500LBS and doubel that for your snatch block so.... At $100 you got a steal. I am a certified rigger so I am no stranger to Mckissik blocks or prices but I could never bring myself to buy one for automotive use. IMO it is almost a waste if it only gets used once a year MAYBE...

Eventhough

Explorer
Every time I've used my axe I've wished I had my chainsaw - but it is soooo much easier to keep my axe in my vehicle and ready to go over my chainsaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk