An Axe - Seriously?

73A1

For many things, a saw is better than an axe. However, the axe will take much more punishment than any saw, and it is still easier to maintain. The only thing you need to carry in order to keep your axe going is a stone to sharpen it with. A saw is far more complicated to sharpen when it goes dull. Sure you can break the axe handle, but at that point you would most certainly already have trashed the saw from the same abuse. An axe till aslo tolerate a far greater amount of rust (which is an issue where I live). If I had to pick only one tool, then I would go for the axe. If I could have two, then a good bow saw would have accompanied the axe.
If I know that I'll have to cut down any amount of trees, well then I bring my chain saw.
But, for an every day carry item in my vehicle, I go for the axe.
-and, yes! I have uset is. Several times.

Lancer

Observer
When out and about, I usually have a cased collapsible bow saw, and an axe (gransfors bruks SFA). The saw is way more efficient to actually cut wood up, but the axe is far quicker to clear brush/branches which are too heavy for a bushknife, or to trim down a log of side shoots.

chasespeed

Explorer
I do mechanical work at cell towers... which, leads me into some remote areas. I keep a double bit axe, come-along, chainfall, and a 12" pruning blade for the sawzall. The towers are good about keeping the access relatively clear, sometimes you beat them there.... and, for me, that axe, can mean the difference between a drive up the mountain, and hiking up the mountain with my tools, which I have had to do....

Chase

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

slowtwitch

Adventurer
Depends where you live. I don't carry a chainsaw when I travel dirt roads in MT. A bow saw is fine except it can only cut a given diameter (dinky) tree. If the crap hits the fan and a bigger tree blocks your way, it will take a while, but an axe will work. It takes up so little space, no fuel, little care, why not? A sharp axe in the hands of someone who knows how to use one will remove wood chop chop.

st

NothingClever

Explorer
Gransfors Bruks...
Nicest cutting instrument I have bought in a long time...

http://www.gransfors.us/

Boy, did I get a bum deal. I'll bet that umlaut on the handle sure cuts wood a lot better than my exact same hand axe from the lowly peasant nation El Salvador (with an American hickory handle) which cost $60 less but doesn't have an umlaut.

My campfires will be inferior and I feel so un-expeditiony now.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Boy, did I get a bum deal. I'll bet that umlaut on the handle sure cuts wood a lot better than my exact same hand axe from the lowly peasant nation El Salvador (with an American hickory handle) which cost $60 less but doesn't have an umlaut.

I wouldn't read too much into his comment.... although it would be fun to have a smiley for "Snobby"

snob.jpg

Lancer

Observer

You'll just have to build your fire away from the eyes of decent, Gransfors-wielding folk, and hang your head in shame whenever you go for wood:)

bfdiesel

Explorer
So I guess the ax I paid about 10.00 for new will be laughed out of the back country. I wonder if the wood it cuts will even burn.

762X39

Explorer
A serious axe

I have always carried an axe (for the last 30 years) in my trucks and in my travel trailer. I also carry a bow saw in my trucks and travel trailer. Finally, I carry my old Stihl chainsaw if it looks like I will be clearing a lot of trees from the trail (like after the recent tornadoes up here). I have one Gransfor axe and like it a lot. Why the hate over a very nice piece of kit? Yes my other two axes chop wood too but the Gransfor is like my Rolex (I guess I'll catch flack for that because a Timex works just as well, sort of), the quality and craftsmanship is appreciated while I use it (plus it can hold an edge better than my other axes). It must be like the Jeep thing that I don't understand...:coffee:

Last edited:

bondvagabond

Observer
The requirement comes at the local NF level, during the fire season, In the form of a road sign at road entrances. If a ranger stops at your camp, they can ticket you, even if it's only a reccomendation. It is better to carry them to be sure, as opposed to ticketed and/or asked to vacate the woods.

We had this happen at a river in Southern Oregon. The ranger looked a little surprised when I pulled a full length shovel and axe out of my wifes toyota corolla:ylsmoke:

He then proceeded to tell us that if it hadn't been a full length shovel we would have had to leave "you can't throw enough dirt to stop a fire with a d-handle one"

this was on our honeymoon in 2004, got major ************ points with the new wife for not letting the trip be ruined.

hovenator

Explorer
An axe is not only useful in cutting and chopping all types of wood, but it has several other uses as well. It is a great tool for emergency use. Try to bust auto glass or tear through sheet metal with a bow saw. That's not happening! It can also be used for a digging tool (though it will dull it significantly). An axe is an extremely useful tool if you know how to use it properly. I always carry a Fiskars axe and hand hatchet as well as a Gerber pack saw. During fire season, I also carry my pulaski in case the "S" hits the fan. There is a reason axes are mounted to fire trucks, military vehicles, and SAR vehicles.........They work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach