Android based GPS (with offline traffic) and back up camera; can it be done?

Miatch

Observer
So I just bought a Suburban and it needs a back up camera.
I need city GPS with traffic every day and back country exploring GPS a few times per year.
I would prefer to do it with one single monitor, maybe a 7".
I see inexpensive back up cameras like this
I'm trying to research the ability for the GPS apps to do traffic without internet, but I'm not very clear on if they can or can't.

Would it be easier to add a reverse camera to a Magellan? Do they have video inputs?
And then simply add my tablet on expedition weekends?

Any help would be appreciated, because I need a back up camera quickly.
Thanks.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
So you want a GPS that has real time traffic, with no real time data connection. Hmm

Androids also do not support live video inputs I dont think. I think you are expecting a lot from a mobile device package.

Why the urgent need for the backup camera?

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Androids also do not support live video inputs I dont think.

Umm, WiFi....... it can be done.

I think you are expecting a lot from a mobile device package.

Ain't that the truth.

Honestly to be happiest with the results, I think you need a Garmin (or Magellan, I'm not well versed in those) that integrates all this stuff. I know Garmin does as my road nav unit will accept a backup camera, it will even pop on when you go into reverse if you wire it up to.

If you hack this setup together on an Android tablet you will not be happy and it will be a distraction when driving.

Could it be done, quite possibly, yes. Get a nav app that allows offline maps, maybe tether your phone to update traffic without having a seperate data plan, and have an app to view a camera feed.

Do I think you would be happy and have an intuitive user interface, probably not.

I think the best solution, in this case (and in my opinion) would be a dedicated solution intended by the manufacturer to do just that. I know Garmin makes what you ask for, Magellan probably does, sounds like you may have already looked into it.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I take that back... I looked into it and it can be done, but is questionably practical for a backup cam application because there is a significant delay to actually launch the app and start camera feed. This would occur every time reverse was selected - think parallel parking - and would undoubtedly cause frustration. You could set everything up on a manual switch, but that's hardly a sleek all-digital user interface.

Miatch

Observer
Why the backup camera??? I never thought I would need one, but my new truck has a horrible turning radius and is pretty tall.
00W0W_kcRNVS2RSD3_600x450.jpg
Thank you for your response and I know traffic without internet sounds impossible but dedicated units do it somehow???
I think you are correct. I will buy a dedicated unit with traffic, add the reverse cam and then load maps into my tablet for the few weekends that I actually need it.
I've honestly never had much luck with using GPS to navigate trips but I would like to. Most of my GPS experience when exploring has been to simply keep me out of trouble.
Thanks again, I loved my old Magellan, I'll order a new one tonight.

plh

Explorer
I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EG4S20K/

add apps: Google Maps, Here (good off line maps), Waze, BCN etc. Tether to your mobile phone via wifi when needing a data connection.

I know android can do live USB video - I use a small USB camera (microscope) with my android based cell phone and tablet all the time.

Interface might not be elegant.

1Louder

Explorer
My Assumption is the live traffic feed is something XM/Sirius provides. A friends Jeep has Radar but to put that in my FJ it is very cost prohibitive based on what I have read from XM. So maybe you can find a radio with that offering and it not costing a ton of money from XM.

As for the backup camera you could move that feature to your phone or tablet if you have one mounted.

Miatch

Observer
I'm looking at something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EG4S20K/

add apps: Google Maps, Here (good off line maps), Waze, BCN etc. Tether to your mobile phone via wifi when needing a data connection.

I know android can do live USB video - I use a small USB camera (microscope) with my android based cell phone and tablet all the time.

Interface might not be elegant.

I just saw all the double din Android based head units. I would bet they would do a lot, but I didn't want to replace my head unit. I might have to reconsider.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Wifi backup cameras for IPhone and Android are pretty common actually: http://amzn.to/2cH2bIQ

Getting a quality solution might be a bit harder and connection+syncing the camera might make it more pain that its worth but it doesn't seem hard to do.

Miatch

Observer
This might work...

Okay, I found an 8gb quad core, with a DVR function to record out the windshield running Android 4.4 and it has a video in.

I have not found a way to do traffic offline, so I will simply have to continue my current method. I always check traffic on my phone with Google maps if I'm travelling during either rush hour and quite often, Google hits me with a pop up saying there is traffic ahead, even when I'm not using Google maps.

http://www.gearbest.com/gps-navigation/pp_423433.html

http://www.gearbest.com/car-alarms-security/pp_260468.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven