(Another) Forest Living Suburban Build Thread

rayra

Expedition Leader
At one point I fiddled with some large flat cardboard and thought to just put rivnuts in the frame and trailinp lip of the crossmember, ahead of the tank, and just make a 'bottom pan' sort of plate. But the rear suspension lower control arm mount is where the frame swoops up and that's literally the midpoint of that loooong tank. That's when I though about crafting a 1" square tube steel perimeter frame around the rear half of the tank and somewhere hanging it from the frame or the driveshaft shield on the inboard side of the tank, the perimeter frame just being there to secure that 'bottom pan' skin. I bogged down figuring how to make it sturdy enough to scrape along in a high center situation.

That's when I got thinking about just slipping a plate between the tank and the saddle straps, the plate literally against the plastic tank.
Maybe using a large press break to put some folds in the sheet corresponding with the tank valleys where the saddle straps rest. Or sizing some square tubing to fill that void and slip the saddle strap thru, with the plate being simple and flat and attached to the cross tubing and with the plate ends turned up like a ski tip, the front edge tucking up above that crossmember lip. And thus the whole plate riding high as possible.

And even then the plate STILL hangs a bit below the frame rails, but ought to 'squish' up just as the tank would / with the tank, if it were dragging, until the frame takes the brunt of it.

Dunno. If the driveshaft weren't there it would be easy to solve, just pan the whole thing.

here's hoping the whole tank can be moved up a smidge. But that's gonna take cutting the mount brackets and raising them, and there's not a lot of room between the fuel pump and lines and the vehicle floor.

Bret+famx7

Dont mean to bring up an older thread but I've been anxiously waiting for an update on your rig! It's just about what my dream build is consisting of here lately.

Burb One

Adventurer
Hey! Work always getting busy, so don't get on here much this past year it seems.

Truck has been running great. Recently put on a york air belt driven compressor on the truck. Seriously awesome mod, Refil for the tires has gone from a 30+ min affair to 5-10 mins. I'll throw up some pictures soon!

let me know if there is any specific you want to know!

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Burb 3 is now sitting pretty- coilovers, 6 inch lift, 14 bolt rear end, 2500 front end, Spohn rear end, 35's and some other goodies, including an ARB locker. Should be fun to test that out.
Going to be doing bumpers, sliders, armor, etc. for Burb Two and three in the coming weekends. Getting ready for the Rubicon in the summer. Will have a few test trips as well before then

View attachment 451573

Do you have any more pictures of this one? Or are they earlier in the thread and I missed them?

Ericwc

Did you end up running the rubicon? Is your front suspension set of choice still, Rough country 6” with atomic coil over conversion? Would love to see a write up and pic of your York compressor setup.

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Did you end up running the rubicon? Is your front suspension set of choice still, Rough country 6” with atomic coil over conversion? Would love to see a write up and pic of your York compressor setup.

Didn't end up running the Rubicon- I started grad school and time became limited. I'll throw up some pictures and how-to of the York compressor next weekend. It's a great mod.
Yep- that would still be the choice. Especially now RCD redesigned their front skid plate for the front diff. It makes installing a 2500 Diff much easier than the old style. (BurbOne is old design and I had to fab up some brackets- Burb two and three have the updated design and it's literally a cut and move a bracket over and reweld- 20 min job.)

Do you have any more pictures of this one? Or are they earlier in the thread and I missed them?

I'll get some pictures next time out. he's already added a rear bumper and winch to the front. There's a few pictures back in the thread.

Burb One

Adventurer
@Burb One What Light bar mount works on our model Suburban?

Thanks!

Hey. Sorry for just getting back to you, life took over the last few months.

I just used the cheap mounts that came with the cheap LED light bar (now 5 years later is still going strong). I would be careful with the mounts they now have that mount in the door jams. I have two friends who have had limited success them them (air noise, but more importantly rain water leaks through the seals.) If you do it right the first time, it's hard to argue with a good strong roof mount with a good silicone seal between. While it's hard to go back, I don't see ever not having a 50" light bar, so even if I get a different light bar mounts should be the same...

Kowblansky01

Hey All-

So update.
Please Welcome BurbThree
View attachment 448764

It seems everyone who has anything bigger than a jeep who get a ride in the coilover burb off road has decided to go out and buy and make one.

We also have MiniBurb
View attachment 448758

Only done one or two trips the past few months. Not much to report. Unless the weather is bad, we just don't have any problems or get stuck anymore. Now focusing on getting all three rigs ready for the summer. In a few weeks there will be three coil over suburbans with 2500 running gear and lockers hitting the trails. We will be testing in June for a few trips for a July or August Rubicon Trip, so stay tuned. I can't find much info of much other stock looking fullsize making it, so we're excited. We'll have a local friend who has run the trail quite a few times lead us and he is confident. it'll be interesting....

Anyway- only a few changes for my truck planned (BurbTwo and BurbThree need 2500 diffs, and a few odds and ends)

My changes/ Notes:
Falken At3's in 35/12.5/17. I think I've decided they are the best tire I have ever owned. Seriously. BurbTwo (and BurbThree) has them as well as the amount of grip they have is amazing in snow, mud, dirt, sand etc. love them
Did some reinforcements for the rear control arms, sway bar mount skids with 1/4 or 1/2 inch metal plates)
Making a pinion guard for the 14 bolt SF
I think we have a workable plan for the gas tank.
Did the GMT900 brake upgrade, holy ******** they are HUGE font rotors.

Once we complete the trucks and all the changes I'll post some pictures. Then get a bunch on trail during the summer:)

Just a pic of the truck flying:

View attachment 448763

BurbOne and BurbTwo in camp, with my buddies homebrew off road trailer pulled by his FJ
Do you have any more pictures of the silver/grey Burb?

Burb One

Adventurer
Rear Axle is in and done. Just need to pull the shiny parts back out so I can paint.

Math worked out well- just need to adjust ride height by .5 inches up

Measurements show around 13 inches of travel (5-ish up and 7-ish down) with bumpstops and limit straps. This ratio should be perfect for the type of off-roading I do.

Also gained quite a bit of clearance below the axle. Nothing to hang up on anymore other than the pumpkin.
Also plated the frame on the side and bottom because I was worried about the new locations of the coilover mount and the bump stop.
I will probably eventually replace the Spohn stuff with Ballastic jointed tubing for more strength and a little less bind at full articulation (the rubber bushing are near their limit)

Now to start getting serious on the front end...

20201101_165351.jpg

20201101_170546.jpg

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Can't tell if any of the burb people are still on here?

Anyway- rear is completely painted and done. Just waiting on an ARB air locker and some new brake pads. I'll post pictures when it's all on the ground again.

Also- I must say so far this "steel-it" paint is the cats pajamas. We'll see if it lasts as long as people say, but damn it sprays on nice, hardened up nicely, you can weld through it and it looks great.

My performance goal was a Raptor (with ~1000lb more payload). Pretty much hit my target. Up travel is limited by the bottom of the body of the truck (without putting a hole in the floor for the coilovers to go into the cabin) However, the numbers are pretty much what I wanted- slightly more down travel than up (while I like going fast, down travel in my understanding helps a little bit more in the rocky stuff where we are closer to the limits of the vehicle)

20201102_151330 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3