Another Hummer Trailer Build

Michigan4x4

Observer
Fresno. Sent you a PM over on steel soldiers. Like what your doing with the silver eagle trailers. I would like to know where your friend with the black M101A2 had his cargo cover made? Did he use www.mytarps.com or a similar place? I really like how it looks. Looks stock. I like the black as well! Please let me know. Send me a PM or respond over at Steel Soldiers. I appreciate it!!

Jeff

Fresno

Adventurer
This is Rick's (Desert Rat @ humvee.net) 2000 H1, M101A2 and Rhino.
img02582_20120623_0818_228.jpg

So you can PM there or send me your info and I will forward it.

@Mark: I know, I know. The first rule when embarking on a expedition, ALL MUST WHEELS MUST MATCH. I know Rick is working on it.:)

Last edited:

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Ha! Ha! That is so my rule! I think he get's a pass this time for having such a cool rig
and owning my favorite style of trailer a 101A2. Very nice set!

Is he changing to one of the 1102 trailers you bought?

Fresno

Adventurer
No, he loves his 101A2. He showed me how the bows move forward for tall loads. He also had the walls, which the M1100s don't. I can see why so many like the 101s.

He had matching wheels until someone made him a great deal on the 41 tires and rims. The search continues for another set.

@Michigan4x4: I forwarded your info to Rick on the trailer top.

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Fresno:

Tell me about that FAT TIRED cruiser on the back of your H1.

Attachments

• e854e5e8.jpg
    e854e5e8.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 121

Fresno

Adventurer
It is a beach cruiser by Sun, called a Spider. Moderately priced, two speed, fun bike.
94fff486.jpg

It looks like a Hummer to me. My truck is a 2000, 6.5 turbo diesel.

23961573.jpg

ea9e49a9.jpg

ba7a7760.jpg

4cfca72e.jpg

Last edited:

Fresno

Adventurer
While I'm hijacking my own thread, and since I've done precious little on the trailer this week, here are photos from the Pismo Hummer Invasion.

1514e146.jpg

cecdc8e3.jpg

81083c1e.jpg

8384f634.jpg

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Fresno: Thank you for the bike info. It looks cool!
Love the ALPHA'S they are mean looking!

Did you build the bike rack? I like the style.
Mark

Fresno

Adventurer
The bike rack is marginal. It cobbled from two old racks. It needed mods to fit the tires. Some great companies now build racks for fat bikes.

If you like these bikes see JeepGears thread in the bike section. He has a Surly Moonlander. Great ride reports.

Fresno

Adventurer
M1102 Part Suppliers

M1102 Part Suppliers

For those of you that are restoring Silver Eagle trailers, here is my parts suppliers list. Please let me know what you have found and I will update this list.

The Hummer Guy: For lights and shocks
http://www.hummerpartsguy.com/

Sturdy Built for hitch parts.
http://www.sturdybuiltonline.com/
The hitch is made by Titan. They are carried by Sturdy.

Grainger
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/start.shtml
For the rivet nuts for the bow mounts

Quality Trailer Products
http://www.qtrailer.com/products.php
For Bulldog trailer jack products

Last edited:

snowhood

Hey, Be nice to Hippies. Their weekend is coming up with the Country Fair in Eugene, OR July 14.

Great looking trailers, I just love em.

Fresno

Adventurer
Geez...I forgot you are from Portland. That is where the M1102s are born (Silver Eagle Mfg). Plus it's only a few hours to Ft Lewis where they damn near give $9K trailers away.

I know you came here to help of friend, but as that is settling, I hope we infected you how fun, easy to work on, and functional adventure trailers are.

PS: Hummer owners really do love Hippies. H1s don't use diesel, we fuel them with Hippy tears.

Last edited:

Fresno

Adventurer
This week I will have trailer running with its soft top. I am thinking about building a cap or insert. The trailer below was built by the manufacturer, Silver Eagle. They discontinued this shell and doors around 2000.

0afb77d6.jpg

545708a4.jpg

The current military cap for the M1102 is below. Better headroom but lacks exterior and interior storage.

29b18dae.jpg

Fresno

Adventurer
Extension of the tongue for the M1102

I thought I should move this over to this thread.

Thanks..

After looking at quite a few pictures, but not really finding a good shot of the underneath of one of these, I can only guess at the framing detail. The front angles (which I suspect are 45) look to go under, but it's strictly a guess without pictures. I think I would look to extend it 3'-4'....by a type of "cradle" that either fits under the existing, or remove the existing and secure a new, extended cradle in it's place. The blue line in the pic would indicate the front of the tub.

I think one of my questions would be.... can you retrofit electric brakes to the Torsion axle and eliminate the pintle and surge brake? (and open it up for say a multi-axis type coupler) I'm sure that considering the size of your trucks, you probably can't even tell the trailer is back there....so the retrofitting may be a moot point, and not worth the aggravation or expense. If you were to extend the tongue, for say, water tank and batteries, on a platform that beefy....does 500-600 lbs. of tongue weight even matter?

I do believe that extending the tongue, would improve the handing characteristics of the trailer, and buy you some additional storage up front, although it would affect the tighter turning radius currently enjoying, but a nice trade off would be, probably a real pleasure to back up.

12bd699a.jpg

04f2bab2.jpg

6ceb477d.jpg

8ba788b4.jpg

5f30c841.jpg

I am thinking of bolting a beam underneath the existing tongue. The hitch (by Titan) is bolted on top of the tongue which uses 3 grade 8 bolts. I am thinking of remounting the hitch on the extension beam (steel or aluminum?) to lower the hitch a few inches.

Thank you for consulting on this. I will get actual photos tomorrow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicotoup