Another Troopy Build (Yawn)

GaryMc

Explorer
Another Troopy Build

Well, I did it. I've got myself a Troopy, sort of. It's going to take the state 90'ish days to title it since it was imported from Saudi Arabia recently.

Details:
-1981 FJ45 Troop Carrier of Saudi Vintage
-153,000 Kilometers or 90,000'ish miles
-Left Hand Drive
-Factory Power Steering
-4spd Tranny that is Geared Insanely Low
-4.88 Gears
-Dull Floating Rear Axle
-Locked Front Hubs
-Saudi Furniture Catalog and Various Other Arabic Reading Materials
in the glove box
-Funked Out Velvety Blue 40/60Split Bench Seat
-A few odd smelling items

Projects to be done in the next 90 days:

-Crate H55F Speed Tranny
-New Aisin Hub Retrofit
-New Window Rubber
-New Door Rubber
-Bucket Seats, likely Bestop
-Full Length Roof rack
-Tuffy Center Console
-Valve Adjustment and General Freshening of the 2F Motor
-3.70 Gears from a Donor 60
-New'ish Steel Wheels
-New Shoes, probably 33x9.5 BGF AT's
-OME Heavy Suspension and shackles
-Bull Bar of some sort
-Winch of some sort
-General wire wheeling of interior surface rust and POR-15'ing
-Carpet Kit
-Heavy Rubber Bed Mat

Photos in it's current state of limbo.

242654271-L.jpg

242654582-L.jpg

242654647-L.jpg

242654726-L.jpg

242654721-L.jpg

Once it is titled and plated I will be selling the Xterra and the Troopy will become my daily driver. If Grand Junction gets the bioDiesel Coop that is in the works (I won't believe it until construction starts) I will consider doing a conversion in the next few years. I ride my bike the 14 miles round trip to work most days, so I'm not concerned so much with daily fuel prices.
I bought the Xterra a few years ago and have not been happy with it. Nothing bad has happened, yet. For some reason I just don't trust it and it's boring as all hell.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
:bowdown:

You may have had FWC envy, but I believe that's all about to pass.

Have you even been able to drive it aound the block yet? The body looks great and I don't see any rust. I think you have found your roaming machine.

Well done -:beer:

GaryMc

Explorer
dennisuello said:
Very cool, being from middle east, it's got to be pretty rust-free, unless it was from a coastal region.

The last foot of the bed has some rust through, but the PO welded full length 1/4" diamond plate steel into the bed. I wish they would have cut the rust out first though. I'm going to have to spend some time underneath with a cutting wheel and POR-15.
The front floorboard have very light surface rust, I think. It could also be glue residue from an ugly carpet job. I'll be wire wheeling that and POR-15'ing there as well.

I did take it on a test drive. It has a very strong motor, but the gearing is ridiculously low by US standards. 1st, 2nd, 3rd and you are at 35mph, 70mph is wound up. The streets were very icy and the hard, desert bias ply tires were sliding everywhere. It was entertaining fishtailing around corners.:rally_guys:

I'm not sure what the fuel tank capacity is, we'll see what that has in store.

Last edited:

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
Wow this is cool. I would love to have one of these one day. Is the insanely low 4 speed the h41? If so, are you looking to dump it after you put an h55f in?

Dylan

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Great looking truck! Yet another build I look forward to following. ....and yet another case of Cruiser envy.

LC/LR4Life

Adventurer
Why the negativity towards the low gearing? Most guys want a bit lower.... 4.88 seems like a good ratio for that beast. Remember that it's gonna get loaded and you'll be wanting that gearing later on!
:26_7_2:

GaryMc

Explorer
LC/LR4Life said:
Why the negativity towards the low gearing? Most guys want a bit lower.... 4.88 seems like a good ratio for that beast. Remember that it's gonna get loaded and you'll be wanting that gearing later on!
:26_7_2:

If it were a dedicated dirt/rock machine I'd be stoked, but for a daily driver mix of highway and 'overland' use I don't think I want the current gearing. I do ZERO rock crawling.
I think with the current transfer case, 3.70 gears and the low 1st of the H55F I'll be happy. I've been wrong before though and am interested in other opinions. I'm shooting for a happy medium of daily use, general offroad travel and decent MPG.
I will be putting 33's on it, do y'all think I'll be geared to high?

Last edited:

CaliCruiser

Adventurer
If you are going to put a 5 speed in it, I would keep the 4.88s. Especially if you are putting 33's on. Otherwise sell those to me too along with the tranny :jump:

Dylan

Scott Brady

Founder
With the overdrive and 33" tall tires, 4.88's would be ideal in my mind. The important thing to remember is that your highway speeds are slow anyways, maybe 65mph tops.

I would suggest installing the tires and everything else first and then evaluate the gearing.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Wow!! Sweet, Brother!

I'm a little jealous of the power steering.....OK...maybe more than a little...

The trans is likely the export (Non USA) H41, with a 4.99:1 first gear....nice and low.

I'd wait until you add the tires to see how you like the gearing...I bet you'll be fine. Even with my Fairey Overdrive (27% drop in gearing), mine is really good on the highway at about 65-70 mph, which is about as fast as I want to go in it anyway....

Nice to have another troopy in the mix!

-H-

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very cool, I'm excited to watch the build :cool:

Question, who do the importation for you? (PM me if details if you would be so kind :D)

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Oh boy, another Troopy. They must be giving these things away these days............

J/K, Congrats
I would wait on the re gear especially if you plan to go to 3.70s. With all that weight and extra wind resistance you plan to add, the gearing should be fine once you put the 5 speed in it. I know it's your truck and you could cut it into shreds if you want to, but I would never gear any higher (numerically lower) than 4.10 for any 4x4. The 3.70s would be a dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl