Another Troopy Build (Yawn)

Sloan

Explorer
I have 4.88s in my FJ40 with 35s and if you want to go over 55mph go to 4.56s or lower. Oh yeah, I would be interested in who helped with the import as well. Since my Tacoma got totaled I could use a diesel DD. :D

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I have the same combo (4.88 and the H41) in my late 1980 HJ45. I have owned it for a year now. The first 8 months it was a second vehicle. For the last 4 months it has been my daily driver, until my 80 series is fixed.

I'm currently running 31x10.50. I run out of gear often every time I get on the freeway, due to that I am also going to go to a H51.

After running around with the above setup, I believe the 5 speed and 33's or 265/85R16 as I am going to run will work great with 4.88's.

Good luck and congrats on the purchase.

GaryMc

Explorer
cruiseroutfit said:
Very cool, I'm excited to watch the build :cool:

Question, who do the importation for you? (PM me if details if you would be so kind :D)

My guy buys them from a broker in San Diego, I'll track down some contact info for you this week.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Sloan said:
I have 4.88s in my FJ40 with 35s and if you want to go over 55mph go to 4.56s or lower. Oh yeah, I would be interested in who helped with the import as well. Since my Tacoma got totaled I could use a diesel DD. :D

I take it you have a 4 speed as well?

I bought mine from john bailey of global classic importers. It was exactley as described...a one owner no rust truck. I have also seen a bj42 that he sold to another guy in reno and it was quite a bit rougher, but the price also reflected its condition.

GaryMc

Explorer
24HOURSOFNEVADA said:
I take it you have a 4 speed as well?

I bought mine from john bailey of global classic importers.

I've spent a fair piece perusing the rigs on that site. I'm curious as to why they do not have prices listed.

ckkone

Explorer
GaryMc said:
I've spent a fair piece perusing the rigs on that site. I'm curious as to why they do not have prices listed.

I've seen him sell a few on eBay recently, sorry for the hijack....Looking forward to this build!

Last edited:

Sloan

Explorer
Anyone know what the law is in California about importing foreign vehicles, is it 25 years old? Anyone imported into CA?

GaryMc

Explorer
gearguywb said:
Great looking troopie. Did you get it from Hugh at Safari Ltd?

Yup, Hugh The Pusher of Heavy Metal. Damn him and his beautiful Cruisers! I tried to talk him out of his 75 Series pickup first...

Sgt Grunt

Adventurer
I have been trying to get in touch with Safari Ltd. I haven't had any luck, glad to see you got a Troopy from them... You beat me to the punch!!!!

GaryMc

Explorer
Sgt Grunt said:
I have been trying to get in touch with Safari Ltd. I haven't had any luck, glad to see you got a Troopy from them... You beat me to the punch!!!!

He's got a mint FJ43 in stock right now... MINT!

Sloan

Explorer
Does Safari Ltd have a website? All I pulled up when I searched was an auto repair place in CO with no mention imported vehicles. I am still kicing myself for not buying a Troopie from Marv when he first started importing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl